Popular Tags: teaching [+] evangelism [+] [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been gaming for about two years or so now. Life is good, but the bulk of my peers are non-gamers. I assume that i am not alone amongst this group of dedicated gamers who faces the common dilema of how do you explain your hobby to the rest of world?
I ask this question now b/c i'll be taking off thursday/friday this week and flying from ny to dallas to attend the bgg.con and am going to need to explain to people where i am going.

1. How do you explain the hobby to non-gamers?
a. How do you explain the difference(s) between euro/designer games and the traditional boardgames(ie, monopoly).

2. What's the best way to introduce some potential gamers to the hobby, without boring them, or yourself and get them to come back over?
a. Do i have 2 play settlers? Can we go right to a puerto rico or maybe do a co-op of shadows ?

3. What's your experience been with expansion?
a. My group is current 5(sometimes 4) and we're quite fortunate as our skill level is pretty even, as we typically learn the games at the same time. We have some mutual friends that we sometimes consider inviting...but i fear that we risk the possibility of ruining the current dynamic and also offsetting the # of players...any thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback. I have to send out the email tomorrow that i'll be out of the office this week and since my last three trips have been, argentina, sweden/denmark and iceland...people will be inquiring ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I've often run into this problem too. People look at me funny when I say boardgames and most people automatically assume Monopoly. The best way to explain anything is using ideas that they are familiar with. Some people are familiar with Settlers and that can help.

For me, many people understand the idea of miniature games or wargames but when I mention euro-games I get confused or dirty looks. Mostly I just mention wargames and other games (like Settlers) and leave it at that. That may not work if you are not a wargamer.

As for the other questions, I don't think I could answer them as well as others. So, good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
As for explaining the hobby, I have two strategies:

1) Lying.

This is the strategy I use for disinterested third parties. The term "poker night" is generic enough to be applied to what Game Night typically entails. For example, in a recent conversation I referred to a Game Night Buddy as "a guy I play poker with". (I didn't sign up to be a boardgame evangelist.)

2) Keep it simple.

If people actually pretend to be interested in what it is that grown men do consistently one night a week, I tell them that we play European games, that are less random, more strategic, and shorter than American games. (Everyone seems ready to admit that Monopoly takes too darn long.)

As for increasing your Game Night group, my group has recently swelled in ranks to the point where we consistently have two separate tables going each night. Everyone really likes this, because you're more likely to play something you're interested in each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
darlok wrote:

"I play boardgames."
thumbsup
MrSkeletor wrote:
darlok wrote:
2. What's the best way to introduce some potential gamers to the hobby, without boring them, or yourself and get them to come back over?

"Would you like to play a game?"
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

"Well, lets say you're a whale, and don't know what pies are all about. You've eaten many chocolate pies, but have gotten tired of it because that's the only desert you've ever had. Then you find out that some other whales are eating apple pies. As a whale, you don't really think about it too much because you're tired of all the pie you've eaten in the past. Then those whales as you to try their apple pie and it ends up being different and somehow more norishing. *Then* you find out that there's all kinds of pies such as cherry and raspberry and you want to try them all out. So yeah that's my best explination of what the boardgameing hobby is... it's like fruit pie for whales."

Seriously though, say something like, "I like playing boardgames like Ticket To Ride (or other gateway game)"
If they are interested enough, they'll end up at game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sorry Skeletor...it's not that simple.

I do agree with lying. It's kinda worked before to get them to play a game or two, but have not had any success converting any to the dark side.

Heck, I am going to lie with some of my peers about this weekend too..... "uuuhhh... I'm going to see family" (hmmm, there's some truth to that). Why bother explaining what I'm REALLY going to be doing. I've been blessed to find enough gaming buds in my area through this gem called BGG, and don't need to go through the pain of recruiting new converts from work, neighborhood, etc.

Oh by the way...sorry. No good answers for the questions above. If the person you are trying to explain this too was never a gamer at all ...whether it be videogames, computergames, pen and paper rpg's, ccg'er, etc... it's going to be really really hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would share ekted's thoughts:

http://ekted.blogspot.com/2006/08/so-you-play-games.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I start off with...

Over 500 games are published each year that aren't Monopoly, Life, Cranium, and Uno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to write quite a bit, but D.W. Sparks hit the nail on the head. Usually I don't even mention I like boardgames when someone asks me what my hobbies are (say on a date). Sometimes I do, and when the girl inevitably says, "I like Scrabble too," I'm more than happy to go along with it. Gaming just isn't important enough for me to inform everyone who asks about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
"So what are you doing Saturday night Ben?"
Heading out, probably have a few beers. Hopefully I wont be offered any drugs.

"Where do you normally go?"
Ah, this place in Kew. It's hard to get into.

That's not lying right? Certainly easier than saying I'll be playing Sword of Rome followed by Napoleonic Wars surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I skirt the issue, usually. "Getting together with friends", or "poker party" usually suffices. If it's someone that I think might actually be interested, or I think they're worth the time, I'll say we play "strategic games". When I get the inevitable "like what?", I'll usually say "there's a whole bunch of games out there that no one's ever heard of that are really fun to play. Not as heavy and dry as chess, but it's not like we're playing 'Sorry' either."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its sad that grown men have to lie about what their hobby is, expecially since it's nothing offensive or illegal. Not to say I don't lie either. Nobody I work with knows what I do on Thursdays except one. He's a RPG guy, I think, and I told him I play games, but he didn't really care. As for the others, I just say "I'm meeting friends for the night, hangin' out, you know." Thats seems to work pretty well. I just wish it didn't have to be that way is all. Downright ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they're truly your friends, then you shouldn't have to explain squat to them.
If they're acquaintances, you don't need to explain squat to them.
If they're strangers, tell them to buzz off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:
Its sad that grown men have to lie about what their hobby is

My hobby used to be watching pro-wrestling. Most people see boardgaming as a step up.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I face this issue all the time, especially since I'm an extroverted 23 year old who before discovering Euro games freshman year of college would have never considered myself a "geek".

My friends know that I love Euro games. This is partially because I've tried to get them to play them with modest success (they were willing in college when we lived in close quarters and sometimes there was nothing else better to do but beyond that no one else ever bought a game nor have they played since we've graduated).

I find it difficult to explain the concept of the Euro game as an engaging passtime for normal people, given all of the dorky connotations that gaming has. The truth is that being out in the open about my hobby isn't worth the uphill battle of trying to get other people to understand that I'm not like Steve Carrell in 40 Year Old Virgin. It's unfortunate, because I'm on the brink of having some of my game designs published, and it will end up being something that I am personally so proud of but that I wouldn't talk about on a date or at a bar.

The truth is that even when people are open minded to it, not everyone likes playing games, and it is just so much refreshingly better to play games with people who are as enthusiastic about them as you. It sucks being the one person who really cares while everyone is mildly interested. This is why I no longer push games on my non-gamer friends.

Thanks to BGG I have met people who like games like I do and in the process made some good friends. My friends are happy for my success as a boardgame designer, so even if they occassionally poke fun at me I know they aren't going to stop being my friends because I choose to attend a game night instead of go out once in a while. The rest of the world isn't paying enough attention to my life to notice I lead two separate social existences, and that's fine with me.

by the way, I have a rule (hasn't come into effect yet) that I need to be dating a girl for at least 3 months before I let her know about my gaming, hee hee!! laugh meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually if I mention to someone that I'm into boardgames and they give me a strange look or odd comment, I smack them over the head with my most recent copy of Games Quarterly or Knucklebones subscription, or if that's not handy, any set of game rules I happen to be carrying around, and yell, "What? Don't you know that only cool people play games like the ones I'm talking about, you no-life numbnut?"

And of course, I'm just kidding. But it would be fun to do sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b5mith wrote:
"So what are you doing Saturday night Ben?"
Heading out, probably have a few beers. Hopefully I wont be offered any drugs.

"Where do you normally go?"
Ah, this place in Kew. It's hard to get into.

That's not lying right? Certainly easier than saying I'll be playing Sword of Rome followed by Napoleonic Wars surprise

It definitely would involve lying on your part if guarana can be considered a drug!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bradshaw
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I usually say, "I play games." Or "We play games." But sometimes when I'm going to a friends house to game, I say "We're going to watch the fights."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bren Mayhugh
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:

Most of my gaming comes by way of wargaming (warmachine currently) with most of my non-gamer friends refer to as "playing with dolls". Quite upseting, but I normally shrug and say: "we all have a hobby, mine involves using strategy and miniatures to beat my opponent." If pressed further, I can normally use: "you play Texas hold'em weekly right, most of the game conventions that I go to (like Gencon) have a Texas hold'em tournament, you should go and see if you can win. But then again, how would you face yourself in the mirror if you went and lost to a bunch of people who 'play with dolls'?" That normally make the conversation change...

-B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeebers...

I say - "I'm going to be playing some games"

They usually say - response 1 - 'Ummmmmmmm ok...' - silence
- response 2 - 'oh, what like monopoly or what?'

my reply to 1 = yes - I'm a sad individual who has trouble with reality.

my reply to 2 = yes - but I'm a sad individual who has trouble with a reality that relates board gaming & Monopoly.

hehehe

Naw - I just tell em - if they have a problem so what, I don't rubbish their hobbies, and if they rubbish mine I just shrug and smile - I also prefer (and make) comparisons to chess and poker rather than to Monopoly - 'cos the perception is that they are more adult.

Cheers and good luck!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still looking for that bumper stick:

"Real Men play Board Games!"

...anyways, why do people feel we have to be like "super heroes" and live (2) lives? Actually I am starting to date this girl and I was upfront and honost with her: I LOVE Board gaming! She respects that! (I just hope she would one day love it as I do)- would make for a great asset in a wife!

Even if she didn't care for it too much, we would have (1) day we each can do what we want with our friends (mine would be to watch football and play a board game or two!!!)-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
Gaming just isn't important enough for me to inform everyone who asks about it.

That hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife usually explains it to our friends as boutique-style games (the choice of adjectives should be changed to fit the audience). I usually explain how it's a designers market and like books and movies games are often picked based on who designed them just as someone would choose the next offering by a favourite author or director.

I also mention, as Aldie said, that there are hundreds that come out each year and then usually go onto explain a few of my favourite concepts (themes). I also mention how, unlike the games we grew up with, that are still on the shelves of the big stores, the games I like tend to have more decision making and usually don't involve a contest of who know's what coming into the game (like say Trivia Pursuit, which is great for what it is, but for me is really just a contest).

At this point usually my enthusiasm for games is showing through and it's here where I can gage the interest level based on further questions..., etc. Lastly I never forget to mention how engaging and interactive game-playing is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
verandi wrote:
by the way, I have a rule (hasn't come into effect yet) that I need to be dating a girl for at least 3 months before I let her know about my gaming, hee hee!! laugh meeple

This guy I can relate to, I tried in vain for a year to get my friends into gaming but none of them took to it. If they did come around to play they would get antsy after an hour and want to head out to a bar or club.. I was just warming up! Nowadays I avoid trying to get anyone into gaming, even family.

And of course, I always had my game collection hidden in a cupboard so women I brought home never saw it! I didn't wait three months like verandi however, I would break it to them after consumating the relationship, seemed to work fine! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't try to explain it. I remember trying to explain the
Magic the Gathering CCG and was stared at like I was
a warlock or devil worshipper.

I do in conversation ask about what kind of games they
enjoyed when they were younger, then recommend that we play
one of my games that is similar.

I also steer clear of games that eliminate players early.
Light games and Co-ops are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.