9 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: Another what would you do here.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Have another one for you guys to input on...

Turn 7

My current deck - 7 scout, 2 viper, 1 patrol mech, 1 explorer, 2 trade bot,1 cutter

My opponent - 8 scout, 2 viper,1 Stealth needle, 1 Trading post, 1 Fed shuttle, 1 explorer

I currently have 6 coins and the board is

Junkyard
Blob World
Patrol Mech
Missile Mech
Battlecruiser

My first and instant reaction was to buy the missile mech, as it allies with my red cards and also allows acts as a potential inhibitor to buy bases for my opponent.

I don't know if I'm overthinking it but I'm starting to think that junkyard might be a better purchase? He's got 7 cards left to draw from, 1 of which being a viper, so there is a strong chance he picks it up and is unable to buy a 6 cost card next go.

If a buy junkyard and he doesn't have 6 coins and can't buy missile mech, I think I will get a lot of use out of the junkyard.

Also, battlecruiser is a great card but considering it's early in the game I presume that the ally ability of the reds would be useful, and my missile mech should most of the time act as a battlecruiser anyway given my deck thinning and amount of red cards.

What would you guys do here? I'm leaning towards the safer play of missile mech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think already having 3 cards that scrap (well, 2.5 as the patrol mech doesn't always trigger), the junkyard would lose it's value pretty quickly.

The 6 damage, potentially taking out a free base and with 3 other red cards to trigger a draw make the missile bot look really good in this situation. Also, since your opponent has the stealth needle, you want to deny them good ships rather than deny them bases.

That said, your opponents deck doesn't look that scary. Granted, the stealth needle could get scary later, but with only a fed shuttle or an explorer to copy at best, it seems fairly useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd either go for the Battlecruiser (even though you don't have Yellow, I like the card draw!) or the Missile Mech. Both of these look good ships and deny them to the Stealth Needle.

With the amount of scrap you already have, I wouldn't go with the Junkyard...

I wouldn't say I'm a good player, so take this with a pinch of salt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlecruiser or Missile Mech, no question. You don't need more scrapping, and adding combat to your deck should almost always take priority over scrapping (which is very slow to amortize).

I'd pick Missile Mech in this case because it fits in better with your deck, but either would be a fine buy IMO.

One other point to consider... it is also a good idea to deny these powerful attack cards to your opponent if you can, since he has a stealth needle. (hopefully you can snag the other attack card before him, too) SN + $6+ attack cards is one of the leading causes of premature death of Star Realms players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Missile Mech. Battlecruiser is better if unallied, but you already have 2 red cards to go with it, and he already has a base that you can destroy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join the minority here and vote for Junkyard.

Your opponent has virtually ZERO attack, and his only hope of getting past Junkyard is to pair Stealth Needle with something big.

Yes, you have plenty of scrapping, but I'd buy it solely for ally triggers and fending off attack. Honestly, the scrapping is just a potential "bonus" in this instance.

Take the Junkyard, and slim your deck down faster than your opponent in addition to triggering some extra attack along the way. That will put you ahead early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
godurmyall wrote:
I'll join the minority here and vote for Junkyard.

Your opponent has virtually ZERO attack, and his only hope of getting past Junkyard is to pair Stealth Needle with something big.

Yes, you have plenty of scrapping, but I'd buy it solely for ally triggers and fending off attack. Honestly, the scrapping is just a potential "bonus" in this instance.

Take the Junkyard, and slim your deck down faster than your opponent in addition to triggering some extra attack along the way. That will put you ahead early on.

This was my thought, although you articulated it with far greater clarity!

I think the risk of him picking up the missile mech the next turn was too risky for it though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual I agree with HomerJr: battlecruiser or Missile Mech, no question. 1) The Stealth Needle can be a game changing card, so you need to deny your opponent great ships if possible.
2) The ally ability of the patrol mech is really helpful, and adding another red card will help trigger that
3) Scrapping your deck won't do you any good if you can't kill your opponent. You need to pick up some good attack cards in order to win. Grab one of the big ships when you have the chance.
4) Having the missile mech will deter him buying the junkyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes - I went with the missile mech because it should act as a battlecruiser (card draw) most of the time anyway.

Good point mentioned re the stealth needle also.

Edit : @HomerJR - this is what I ended up doing, I managed to get the battlecruiser the turn after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.