Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Barnes
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing like a little gambling to liven up an otherwise dull Sunday School class party! The party had settled into small groups of idle chatter until I pulled out Wits & Wagers, which I had thrown in the back of the car on a whim. We soon had 7 teams of 2 gathered around to play the game, with me acting as host, game-show style.

For those of you unfamiliar with the game, it is a trivia game - but the catch is you don't have to know the answers yourself to win. You just need to be a good guesser. Teams are given a dry erase board and $80 in chips. There are 7 questions in the game, each with a numeric answer. After each question is read, teams/players have 30 seconds to write down an answer on the dry erase board. The answers are arranged from smallest to largest on the game map. Then teams/players get 30 seconds to place bets on which answer (or answers) they think is correct. The answers pay out differently depending on where they were placed on the board. The answer that is closest to the correct answer without going over is the winner. For the 1st 6 questions, teams are limited to bets totalling $10 or less. Question 7 has no betting limit - you can go all in if you desire.

Things were pretty even through the 1st 6 questions - everybody won a little and lost a little. Question 7 turned the whole game on it's head. Because everyone had a pretty similar chip count, most folks bet all or nearly all of their stack. When I read the correct answer, the room erupted with both joy and disgust. That was because nobody bet on the correct answer. The winning team ended up being the team that didn't bet anything.

The game was a huge hit with everyone and I had several folks ask me where I had gotten it and where they could get a copy. I was happy to point them to some of our favorite online retailers.

Kudos to the Northstar guys for designing this great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this story. Thanks for introducing our game to a group of non-gamers! We really appreciate it.

I'm curious a little more about the Sunday school class. Were there both girls and boys? If so, was one gender or the other more enthusiastic about the game? And finally, what were the ages of the kids?

I hope you continue to have fun with this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.