Jim Harvey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
November 4, 1898

I arrived in Berlin at dawn as part of a plan, developed with my associates Lord Godalming, Dr. Van Helsing, and Madam Mina Harker, to spread across the continent, track down Count Dracula and, finally, rid Europe, nay, the world of his obscene presence. There were letters waiting for me there from Lord Godalming and Van Helsing informing me of their respective arrivals in Varna and Manchester. I could only hope that Ms. Harker made it safely to Spain but I had no time to wait for news. I left for Leipzig as soon as I could and will continue through Germany looking for signs of the Count.

After making my way east to Brussels, securing a rifle and a knife for protection, I was overjoyed to find a letter from Ms. Harker explaining that she had left Spain and was now on a boat in the Mediterranean heading for Rome. Enclosed was a newspaper clipping featuring an article about a young woman in Bari found slumped over with two odd marks on her neck. Of course, I knew this was the despicable work of the Count and that he was likely heading north through Italy right now! I hastily posted a reply to Mina thanking her and explaining that I would be on the next train to Marseilles in the hopes of cutting the Count off before he could do any further damage.

It was midnight by the time I arrived in Marseilles but this did not stop me from finding a nice piece of lumber and crafting a stake to drive through that monster's excuse for a heart when I found him. I also got word from Arthur that he had arrived in Venice by train having also heard of the Count's recent exploits in Italy. He went on to say that Van Helsing was in France and making his way south, so it appeared that we had the Count surrounded. Everything was going according to our original plan.

However, rumors from Genoa told of an abnormally large wolf sighted by at least three residents in the middle of town this very night. I am both blessed and cursed by Heaven to know all too well what evil this Count is capable of! It was apparent to me from these rumors that he is aware of our ever-increasing proximity to him and is attempting to make an escape. It occurred to me that he might be headed west to Toulouse, in addition to the arguably more obvious destinations of Zurich or Munich. I made up my mind that I had to investigate this hunch because I knew I was positioned further west than any of my companions and I could not allow him to escape to Spain without a fight. I hope my friends will be able to stop him in Switzerland or Germany if I fail.

November 5, 1898

I have indeed failed to locate the Count in Toulouse. No matter, it is now certain that he is either in Zurich or Munich so the only option for me now is to head back to Marseilles and get back on his trail. Unfortunately there is no train station here so I am forced to travel by carriage.

Upon my arrival in Marseilles I received some very interesting news from Van Helsing. It seems the good doctor has found a way to consecrate the ground in Zagreb so that the Count will be unable to pass through there! According to Van Helsing, our friends Arthur and Mina are currently in Italy attempting to root out and destroy any disgusting creatures that Dracula may have left behind but so far have run into only spies and other saboteurs, which, of course, are laughable. Van Helsing will be heading down through Germany so I sent word that I would go to Milan and hopefully stumble upon some news of the Count there.

Night was falling as I arrived in Milan and I was beginning to worry because I knew my that my friends were all only one or two cities away and that the Count could easily be well into Eastern Europe by now. And, alas, I was thrown into complete despair when I received letters from all three of my good associates putting together a grim picture that the Count had evaded us and could potentially be anywhere at all on this God-forsaken continent or even the British Isles.

I traveled to Zurich and again failed to find any sign of the Count or indications that he had been there at all. To make matters worse, I was held at the train station in Zurich for several hours due to confusion over my traveling papers. I finally made it to Strasbourg to once again find letters from all three of my friends waiting for me. However, these did not bear any good news and it seemed that all four of us were still lingering about in central Europe. I was convinced that Count had vanished and was now cruelly laughing at us, his pursuers, from somewhere as far away as possible. I was ready to resort to drastic measures at this point. I made a quick decision and although it was a painful trip and I felt about half-dead when I got there, I arrived in Liverpool to see the sun rise.

November 6, 1898

Of course, there was absolutely nothing in Liverpool to hint of the Count's having been there. I had failed to locate him once again but with the arrival of a new day always comes new hope. Van Helsing sent word to me across the great divide that now separated me from my friends that Lord Godalming had been to Budapest and run into a swarm of bats! That fiend had gone to Eastern Europe after all! Van Helsing said that he was on his way east from Germany and that Mina had once again taken to sea. Arthur had been forced to retreat to Zagreb but the doctor expressed hope that they were now in a better position to surround Dracula from all sides.

With all the resolve I could muster, I embarked on yet another long journey as fast as I could. I crawled into the Hospital of Saint Joseph and Mary literally on my last breath. By the grace of God and incredible care from the nuns at the hospital I was able to achieve a partial recovery and was ready to go out once again, still equipped with my stake and now a crucifix, to put that monster to death.

The sisters had been in touch with Godalming and Mina and informed me that Arthur was in Sarajevo but had had no luck in locating the Count. I was confused but not deterred. Mina had apparently arrived in Valona so I knew we were making progress and closing in on him. How far could he have gone? I knew he was crafty but surely the four of us could outsmart him. As I was about to leave, one of the sisters came running after me to let me know that Van Helsing had succeeded in leaving a Heavenly Host behind in Vienna. With a triumphant feeling, knowing that the Count was trapped, I promptly left for Belgrade.

But once I got there, I was once again baffled to find no trace of the Count or his trail. I was even hearing rumors of the Count having been spotted earlier today and now again at night in the same city! But people in Belgrade were vague and inconsistent about which city it was. Klausenberg? Sofia? Szeged? There was too much uncertainty in all of this talk and I decided I could be of best use to my friends by traveling to Klausenberg.

The only good news in Klausenberg was a letter from Godalming saying that
the Count had indeed been to Sofia and that he was likely to head for the coast. This was confirmed as I was about leave Klausenberg when I received a letter from Mina explaining that the Count had embarked to sea and that she was attempting to follow him in the Ionian. I decided to head west to Budapest hoping to catch a train and greet the Count wherever he decided to disembark. I know that water weakens him and he cannot spend forever at sea. I will be waiting for him.

Unfortunately, we were not able to cover enough ground in Eastern Europe. Once I arrived in Budapest, there were stories in every newspaper about a vampire terrorizing small villages and I knew that this could only mean that the Count was adding new vampires to his army. It was only a matter of time now and unfortunately it was running out for us. But this was a mere distraction and I jumped on the first train to Venice. I knew the Count was heading west and I was determined to find him.

When I got to Venice, I learned from the locals that Van Helsing was just ahead of me in Florence and was talking about laying another Heavenly Host there to close off Italy from the Count. Luckily, I was in touch with some acquaintances in the travel business and they informed me that the Count had purchased a ticket to travel by boat from the Black Sea to Adriatic! Since I was in Venice, this left only Bari as a possible location for the Count!

Still, that despicable being was able to cross to Naples and return to sea within the next few hours. I continued west to Genoa and from there joined the Count in the Tyrrhenian Sea. I was confident that I would be able to keep abreast of his trail now and my confidence only grew when I received word from Mina Harker that she was on her way to Marseilles and that Lord Godalming was only one step behind me sailing through the Ionian Sea.

As my ship carried me into the Mediterranean, I knew I was following Dracula and that Mina was waiting for him should he decide to make a move for Marseilles. Van Helsing, with his unsurpassed brilliance, managed to reach me on my ship and inform me that he had a successfully destroyed a vampire that the Count had left behind in Naples. I breathed a sigh of relief. I read on to discover that Lord Godalming had taken a chance and disembarked in Cagliari hoping to find the Count but had had no luck. I wrote a note to Van Helsing thanking him for his good work and arrived in Barcelona to greet to the new day.

November 7, 1898

Again, I was frustrated to find no sign of the Count in Barcelona. However, I knew that he must be Alicante and since one of my friends had left a Heavenly Host in Saragossa earlier, he would surely be heading west still. I took a train to Alicante. Surprisingly, I was confronted by a thief once I got there! This rascal knocked me over and stole the equipment I keep for performing blood transfusions. However, I had to laugh. The Count will have to work much harder than that to throw me off his trail!

By now, I had heard from Mina who was in Saragossa and she explained that Arthur and Van Helsing were at sea waiting to see what Dracula's next move would be. Once again, we had him surrounded and although he had successfully evaded us so many times in the past few days, I felt certain that we had him caught this time.

It struck me that the Count may have bolted to Santander to try to make an escape to the Bay of Biscay. I was not prepared to let this happen so I hopped on the train once again. The beach community of Santander, however, was perfectly calm and in good spirits so I knew the Count had not defiled its healthy soil with his presence. Godalming sent word from Lisbon that the Count was not there either. Arthur suggested that the Prince of Darkness was in Cadiz and that from there, he would likely try to escape to the Atlantic Ocean. He did.

I said goodbye to the locals in Santander, thanking them for their hospitality, and hit the road for Lisbon. I bought some garlic some a local merchant, knowing that this would come in handy when I finally had the Count cornered. I knew that I only had a few hours to make this happen and I would ideally like to kill him before nightfall so I embarked into the Atlantic.

Van Helsing surprised me again when a young boy on my ship approached me with a letter from the Dutchman. Mina, he explained, was heading to Santander just in case the Count tried to go back to Spain. We knew there were plenty of options for the Count from the Atlantic so we had to close off as many as possible. Van Helsing and Godalming were sailing north towards the British Isles and the North Sea.

I disembarked in Plymouth once I knew that Dracula was no longer at sea. Unfortunately he was nowhere to be found. I received a letter from Godalming who was now in Liverpool but was not any closer to finding the Count. I decided that my best option at this point was to head to London and hoping to at least eliminate the possibility that Dracula was in Britain. However once I got there, I was surprised by bolt of lightning somehow aimed right at me! This evil was surely the work of that despised creature, Count Dracula! I held up my crucifix just in time and thus was safe from harm. In fact, it was now apparent that Dracula had been hiding in London for quite some time! Just when I thought I would finally have my chance to destroy him, I was approached by one of his minions armed with a knife and a rifle.

I was carrying my crucifix, the garlic I bought, and the stake I had crafted long ago. Unwilling to part with my stake at this point, just to destroy a minion, I chose to escape and run after Dracula. Unfortunately for me, I was unable to find the Count on the busy streets of London and could not fight him.

Soon a letter arrived from Mina Harker saying that she had heard about the sense of emergency in Britain and would do everything she could to get to Plymouth in the next few hours. I moved out to Swansea so that Dracula would have to confront one of us, should he decide to leave London. Godalming sent word that he was staying in Liverpool, hoping to track down a rifle or something to help with our minion woes. He also relayed the news that Van Helsing was in the English Channel. We were closing in. Night had fallen and we knew that if we did not destroy the Count tonight, all was lost.

In Swansea, I noticed that a very odd roadblock had been placed on the road leading to Liverpool. I determined that this must be the work of the Count. I hoped that Lord Godalming was on his way to Manchester now since the Count was likely to have moved on from London. It turned out that this was indeed the case because a messenger approached me with a letter from Arthur detailing the some of the events from Manchester. Apparently one the Count's minions had attacked him with a knife. Since Godalming was armed only with garlic, he had to run. Back in London, I deliberated with Van Helsing and Mina Harker, who had also just arrived, and decided that we could not allow for the possibility of Dracula escaping and therefore we must confront him with garlic. Since I had the garlic, I was appointed the task of bringing him down. Lord Godalming contacted us and told us the Count had not gone to Liverpool. This meant that I had to catch a train as soon as possible to Edinburgh and close the deal.

Thankfully, I made it in time. It was 3 o'clock in the morning when my train pulled up to the station. Waiting for me there was yet another one of Dracula's minions! I knew what I had to do this time and without hesitation I thrust my stake into its chest and prepared to face the Prince of Darkness himself. He descended upon me in a rage and I almost dropped my crucifix, but with some amazingly good luck I was able to maintain my composure. With my garlic around my neck I advanced on the Count and he knew he had no chance of escape. I withdrew my crucifix and delivered the final blow. Thus, Count Dracula and his reign of terror were brought to an abrupt end tonight in Edinburgh. Thanks to God and to my brave companions, the horrors of the past eight years are finally over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carlson
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job Doc... it's tough to corner Dracula, glad you managed to bring him down in the British Isles.

Were you playing this session with 5 people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Harvey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there were five players. Though actually I was playing over Skype while the rest of them were in Illinois. We had boards set up in both places. It sort of makes the whole receiving letters and not knowing exactly where the other Hunters are that much more real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren P
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
rAdioActivitA wrote:
Yes, there were five players. Though actually I was playing over Skype while the rest of them were in Illinois. We had boards set up in both places. It sort of makes the whole receiving letters and not knowing exactly where the other Hunters are that much more real.

How did you handle drawing event and item cards? I guess you could have some sort of instant message program set up where they could silently inform you of what "you" drew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Harvey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly, yeah. Sorry it took 9 months for me to respond... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.