Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Modern Art» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Art Appreciation for Newbies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SH, LY and I decided to try Modern Art (MA), instead of playing Take 6. I passed the rule-learning buck to SH. So he read the rulebook while LY and I set up the money and the cards.

Having quickly digested the rules, SH went through the basics with us, and we started to play. We had little idea how to price the paintings initially, so it took a few auctions to get some ideas. Then we discovered that LY had somehow dealt us uneven number of cards. Restarted the game.

My first few deals with relatively thoughtless, and then I began to take more and more time to ponder. As usual, SH was quick to grasp the tactics and he quickly built scored profits and paintings over LY and me. It emerged that this game was to be exclusive exhibitions of Yokos and Krytos.

I realized that, already mathematically challenged, I was in poor shape for such a game after a couple hours feasting on the lunch that LY had whipped up, and the sumptious desserts from another friend. My thoughts were simply moving at molasses-speed.

It seemed there were too much to think through. Which painting should I auction? What kind of auction is appropriate? How should I price the painting? What is the profits to be made from selling/buying the painting? Should I withhold from bidding to get the next auction turn? Should I try to challenge the current top-three ranking? Do I have enough money for the rest of the round? Should I end the round now by playing the 5th painting? And so on.

SH romped to an easy win with $300+K, LY took second place with $200+K and I languished behind with $100+K.

We immediately played a second game. SH thought it would go faster now that we know the various types of auction. Wrong! LY and I spent even more time contemplating our moves. My finest round was selling my paintings for $370K. It didn't net me the win though. LY won with $600+K, very impressive. I only pipped SH by some small change.

SH and LY found Modern Art quite interesting. SH was thinking of buying his own copy. I like the variety of auctions, and although I'm really poor at maths-related games, I will play Modern Art again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.