~~~Crazy Adam~~~ ~~~Mad Ayzarc~~~
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened the seal on the copy of IA. Exciting times here!

I was a little surprised that the first thing I saw was a sheet insert telling me that this set includes the Luke Skywalker Ally Pack and Darth Vader Villain Pack. There's an illustration of the packs themselves, with the little hangy part on the plastic container so that they can hang the packs on a shelf.

Anyway, this makes it look like that the original plan was NOT to include these packs originally. I'm sure there would have been a few raised eyebrows if the ultimate goody and baddy in the Star Wars universe were left out of the base game. But I can't tell if they decided later on to include them (thus the sheet insert, separate bag of Luke/Vader components and mock-up of the package) or if this was just a clever(?) way of getting us excited for the idea of future packs (while also thinking that FFG gave us a "gift" of two "free" packs in our base game.)

Any official word on what this was all about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hillegas
msg tools
mbmb
No official word, but it seems like it was intended all along. The ally packs might as well be a staple of the core set, but they convince you that you're getting them for "free" by advertising their packaging and contents. There's no indication that these will ever actually be sold separately, it's just a (smart) tactic to show people the worth of the expansion packs that are coming this week. If they included Luke and Vader as "part" of the core set without making them seem like some special free deal, people would likely be less interested in the ally/villain packs. It's just clever marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray MacPherson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mb
It lets you know right from the start what to expect from Ally and Villain packs. It's to get you excited and set you up to buying all the future packs. Just a clever bit of marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no. they don`t even have a catalog number. so they must had that descion very early on. also they needed some big names in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muz333 wrote:
It lets you know right from the start what to expect from Ally and Villain packs. It's to get you excited and set you up to buying all the future packs. Just a clever bit of marketing.
Exactly this. I think the effect was lost a little bit due to packaging. With them just being in a bag, most people prolly just opened them without thinking they were specially packaged on their own. So they prolly didn't evaluate the contents much. At least I didn't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmb
Muz333 wrote:

And perhaps, with the possibility of future base sets, they may end up selling them separately at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.