War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dead men lends magic carpet to companions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This one came up last night, gives me the headaches. Imagine the following: I play with a fellow that has no understanding of the spirit of the book/movies whatsoever, no common sense at all, but, in the other hand, has a bacground of playing Magic: the gathering for something like 5 years. He plays FP, I SP. H plays Dead man of... to bring Strider to an empty Pelargir, recruiting the 3 regulars, and here comes the problem: He then tries to move Gimli, seated in Bree and Legolas, seated in Erebor (don't ask ) to Peralgir, claiming to my utmost disgust and annoyment, that the card says to move those companions, and nothing about "moving from the same region where Strider/Aragorn is" And since it is in the rulebook that card text overrules other rules, such as companion movement, he could't see why those two couldn't fly to Peralgir instantly.
I know it's ridicolous
I know it's insane
I know it does not make any sense at all
I know it's not intended nor should work this way

But the scary thing is, I cannot tell this just by looking at the card!!!
Someone please help me with this, I would sleep much more peacfully knowing I won't be dreaming about hobbits on a flying carpet.
Thaks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the "master text" of the card (i.e. the text which was then edited/translated into various languages and that was worded in a way which should prevent most Magic players abusing of events in WotR) says:

Dead Men of Dunharrow
Play if Strider/Aragorn is in any Rohan Region.
Move him (and optionally one group of Companions in the same Region) to Erech, Lamedon or Pelargir.
If the chosen Region is occupied by a Shadow Army, that Army takes a number of hits equal to the roll of a die and must then retreat.
Recruit up to three Gondor Regular units in the chosen Region.

So the fact that companions must be together IS stated in the original text of the card, even if this nuance was unfortunately lost when it was edited for the english-speaking market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it! Now I have PROOF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dang
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't see how your friend came to the conclusion that he could move companions who were not in the same region as Strider/Aragorn. The English version says "Move STRIDER/ARAGORN and a number of other Companions (of your choice) in the same Region to either Erech, Lamedon, or Pelargir."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Adler
England
flag msg tools
destroyergx wrote:
I don't see how your friend came to the conclusion that he could move companions who were not in the same region as Strider/Aragorn. The English version says "Move STRIDER/ARAGORN and a number of other Companions (of your choice) in the same Region to either Erech, Lamedon, or Pelargir."

I was thinking the exact same thing, although I don't have the card here. But I recall it pretty much like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.