Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I decided to get this instead of the core Master Set as my friend already has a copy of that. However, I'm confused on what expansions I can and should buy for this set. My favorite faction from the regular factions is Jungle Elves. However, they're mixed with Shadow Elves in this set. Does this mean I should buy Second Summoners/Reinforcement Packs for both of those races to customize my Alliance decks? Or is it okay to focus on one? Or should I just splurge and get the Master Set as well? Basically, I'm not sure what exactly is the best way to proceed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a hardcore Summoner Wars fan, I'm just going to say buy it all, but obviously that's not the answer you were looking for.

What's great about the Alliances Master Set is that every Summoner Wars product is compatible with these Allied factions since all 16 factions are represented in 8 different decks. No need to buy Shadow Elf stuff if you want to focus on Jungle Elves. Each of these Allied decks can have units from both factions built into the decks OR have their units built into either of the existing factions and their Summoner.

For example, one of my favorite decks I use is Nikuya Na (the Jungle Elf Second Summoner) with Jungle Shadow Shamans, Gargos and Satara (Jungle Shadows Champions), Elephants, Hyenas, and Jujugara. You can mix and match to find the perfect deck for you. Hopefully I answered at least some of your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
So I decided to get this instead of the core Master Set as my friend already has a copy of that. However, I'm confused on what expansions I can and should buy for this set. My favorite faction from the regular factions is Jungle Elves. However, they're mixed with Shadow Elves in this set. Does this mean I should buy Second Summoners/Reinforcement Packs for both of those races to customize my Alliance decks? Or is it okay to focus on one? Or should I just splurge and get the Master Set as well? Basically, I'm not sure what exactly is the best way to proceed here.

Sure, just grab the second summoner and the reinforcement pack for the jungle elves and you should be good to go from there. If you like the Alliance summoner, you can grab the shadow elf stuff too.

If your friend is finicky about loaning you cards, you could grab another master set, I guess, but I'd pick up stuff they don't have first.

From there, if you're happy w/ that stuff, you can make a decision if you want to splurge and buy it all... which is definitely what I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second summoners, second summoners, second summoners.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

(And later, everything.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you love Jungle Elves, go ahead and get their decks.

I think the Second Summoners are more sophisticated than any of the decks that came before them, but the Master Set is still the best buy in dollar price per card, if you're just looking to ramp up your card pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get ALL of them. ALL OR NONE I SAY!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Durivage
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think that Alliances is a great starting point because with the 8 decks, you get at least some exposure to the 16 factions and what they are capable of. There are a couple that I would say are under represented (poor Cave Goblins) but for the most part you can take how you want to proceed from your favorite alliance. If you like the Jungle Shadows and particularly the Jungle Elves, go for the the Jungle Elves stuff.

Every card in everything released so far in some way works with the Alliances set, so you cannot go wrong any way you want to proceed. This alone makes it a great starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on buying an excellent game. My first purchase was the original Master Set. After a few plays I bought a bundle of all the other first summoners and reinforcement packs, which was all that had been produced at that point. I slowly incorporated the individual packs into our games over the next year. Then I bought all the second summoners as they came out.

I can't make a strong recommendation, but I have a few thoughts. SW is such a great game in small or large doses. Each faction is worth playing, but some are more interesting than others. The original master set is a great deal, but the other packs are just as fun, just smaller. I don't have a strong preference for the first or second summoners.

You don't need to get everything. but if you enjoy the game as much as I do, you will have a great time with a huge collection or just a few additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
flag msg tools
Would it be fair to say that the 2nd summoner's are most valuable for deck building cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibkevg wrote:
Would it be fair to say that the 2nd summoner's are most valuable for deck building cards?

It varies actually. For example, for the Fallen Kingdom the Second Summoner provides a bunch of very useful Commons but the First Summoner provides the better Champions. The Fallen Phoenix Alliance provides the awesome HellDrake that is universally useful for Ret and some other Commons/Champs that require a specific strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.