Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wesley white
United States
St. John's
Florida
flag msg tools
What is your favorite board game theme?

pirates, fantasy, historical medieval, wild west, tech, future, alien, steampunk, abstract, adventure, war, castles, business, circus clowns.....etc

would you say your gaming friends enjoy the same theme? 1 not really - 5 most of them

how important is the theme of the game in your buying decision? 1 low - 5 high

what movie, book, tv show is most similar to the type of theme you enjoy in a boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ww0473 wrote:

pirates, fantasy, historical medieval, wild west, tech, future, alien, steampunk, abstract, adventure, war, castles, business, circus clowns.....etc

Medieval

ww0473 wrote:

would you say your gaming friends enjoy the same theme? 1 not really - 5 most of them

ww0473 wrote:

5. I like to really dig the theme. For example, the latest COIN game (Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar) will be my first COIN game out of I think 4 or 5, simply because the other earlier themes just didn't appeal to me.
Similarly, some games that have good gameplay, if the theme is a turn-off, I won't buy it.

ww0473 wrote:

what movie, book, tv show is most similar to the type of theme you enjoy in a boardgame

Game of Thrones, Pillars of the Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunters and Gatherers on a tropical island (Robinson Crusoe-ish)

Native American themed plus animals and mystic charms etc... but towards a happy look.

Tribal: a Jambo look to it.

My gaming partner would give Hunters and Gatherers on a tropical island and Tribal themes a 3/5. The Native American theme would be a 4/5 for her. 1/5 would include unplayable games with demons and/or macabre art, of which we don't play at all. Yomi would get a 2/5 for both of us. I try not to play 2/5 themes either now a days. There are far too many games out there to keep me busy and happy to have to play 2/5 art and theme games. I just got pickier.

A 4/5 for importance for me as far as buying, but I just got done playing a game with a nice theme and nice artwork that was horrible. So it burns me. Often. I am entertaining the idea of reducing my focus on this to a 3/5.

Movies include: Cast Away, Robinson Crusoe, Alamar, The Emerald Forest, Castaway on the Moon, and The Blue Lagoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:
Hunters and Gatherers on a tropical island (Robinson Crusoe-ish)

Native American themed plus animals and mystic charms etc... but towards a happy look.

Tribal: a Jambo look to it.

My gaming partner would give Hunters and Gatherers on a tropical island and Tribal themes a 3/5. The Native American theme would be a 4/5 for her. 1/5 would include unplayable games with demons and/or macabre art, of which we don't play at all. Yomi would get a 2/5 for both of us. I try not to play 2/5 themes either now a days. There are far too many games out there to keep my busy and happy to have to play 2/5 art and theme games. I just got pickier.

A 4/5 for importance for me as far as buying, but I just got done playing a game with a nice theme and nice artwork that was horrible. So it burns me. Often. I am entertaining the idea of reducing my focus on this to a 3/5.

Movies include: Cast Away, Robinson Crusoe, Alamar, The Emerald Forest, Castaway on the Moon, and The Blue Lagoon.

How do you not own Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

I tried it. It was fairly long and complex. Thematic games are not often hits for me. I enjoy mid weight to light weight games that are well made. I sold Robinson Crusoe recently. It annoyed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Okonik
United Kingdom
Repton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
http://kinokogamestudio.wordpress.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Cyberpunk

Quote:
would you say your gaming friends enjoy the same theme?

Quote:
how important is the theme of the game in your buying decision?

4 - I have games on my wishlist, just because of the theme. I will buy games with pretty much any theme though if it looks interesting.

Quote:

Neuromancer (book), Blade Runner (movie)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Usually something that relates to actual human history, eg Twilight Struggle and 1960: The Making of the President rather than fictitious fantasy and sci-fi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ww0473 wrote:

Civilization

ww0473 wrote:

ww0473 wrote:

The funny thing is that although Civilization is my favorite game theme, extremely long duration is a turn-off to me - and the two usually come together. This means that I have very few games with this theme in my collection, but the Advanced Search combo "Civilization"+"Max duration time: 180min" is, by far, what I do more often when looking what's new. For such reason I'm always looking at the so called Civ Lites, of which I love Tempus, and Antike II has top priority in my wishlist. However, many of my favorite games have nothing to do with the theme, even though my two "perfect 10" games are somewhat related to it: Tigris & Euphrates may be considered the ultimate abstraction of the Civilization theme, while Imperial, while definitely not a Civ, plays on a big real map and people build things. I love to build things on a map

ww0473 wrote:

Oh, that's a tough one. Since Civilization games usually involve centuries long timespans, we usually don't see movies, books or tv shows implementing such theme - well, the closest thing would be History books and documentaries, I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Civ, 5, 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme has a reasonable impact on my buying decisions, there are some themes I don't like (e.g. Horror) and would be very unlikely to buy a game with that theme.

With themes I like (e.g. pirates, fantasy, historical medieval, space) then it depends on how the theme is done. There are space games where I really like the theme and space games where I really don't like the theme. Overall I prefer themes that are relatively easy to ignore if you want, but you could think a lot about it you wanted (I reckon Race for the Galaxy does this well).

Many of my friends like similar themes, but some would prefer different themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

I tried it. It was fairly long and complex. Thematic games are not often hits for me. I enjoy mid weight to light weight games that are well made. I sold Robinson Crusoe recently. It annoyed me.

Yeah to be honest the awful rules and the fiddliness annoy me too, in my case I have only decided to keep it b/c of the Beagle expansion (since I am a Darwin fan and a biologist, I'd like to at least try it)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ww0473 wrote:

I tend to get easily bored with common themes like pirates, aliens and fantasy. The more unique the theme, the better. It is important in my buying decision, though. I tend not to buy a game if I don't like the theme, even if I might totally dig the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to pick a #1, I think I'd say superheroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite them is sci fi. However, I mostly play a WW2 themed game with my group (Axis & Allies).

Theme is 4 important for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spies. Espionage. Secrecy. Such a delicious theme but so underrepresented, because it's so difficult to get right, I'll bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.