Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Klingon for Beginners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Taylor
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I hate to post two threads on simple fleet building, but I recently got a friend into the game and he is trying to build a Klingon fleet and wants a quick and easy guide to the Klingon faction. What are the generally good ships to use? What cards come in handy? Etc, etc.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Klingons rely on multiple ships. Roll lots of dice, cloak.

Cards to look out for - Martok skill 8, Projected Stasis Field, Worf, Drex/N'Garen.

Ships to run - Vor'cha, Koraga (less so), Negh'Var.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...Careful, I think this guy may be a Romulan agent laugh

The generic Vor'cha is probably their most popular ship; the Negh'Var is good too. The Koraga has one fewer attack die, but it comes with some good cards, so your friend might want to pick up one of those. (The K'T'ings and the smaller birds of prey are decent, but they start to die pretty quickly when you get into those lower hull values.)

Traditionally, fleet-building has been pretty minimalistic: Martok, Gowron, and Worf are your three best captains (Koloth is maybe fourth?), and back when we were building to 90-100 points, them (and possibly a resource) were pretty much all you needed. For 120 point fleets, I dunno whether you'd want a fourth ship or a bunch of upgrades.

Speaking of upgrades, Drex/N'garen and Alexander are probably the best crew, and Projected Stasis Field is a good tech (Advanced Weapon System is too, but has fallen out of favor. Tritium Intermix seems like a good idea, but I haven't seen it much.)

edit: TL;DR: what David said ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind going on ebay, Assimilated Vessel 80279 is kinda fun. Five attack and Borg goodness without the Borg shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
General Klingon rules:

1) Get attack dice on the table. Run more decent ships over few excellent ships. Klingons are the faction most likely to run 4-5 ships at 120SP.
2) Run those ships lean. More than 5SP of upgrades on a klingon ship is a bad idea. Cloak is not enough to treat your ship as a long term investment to pack with upgrades.
3) Discards and one-trick ponies are okay. You aren't intending to drag this fight out.
4) Passive attack modifiers are ideal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Klingons win by their maneuvers. They have very cohesive maneuver dials, and do formation flying well. Fly forward, shoot first, and use your red 180 degree turn if you survive the first attack.

I lost a lot of games when I started playing, but I stuck with it and now routinely maneuver 4-5 lighter ships in a tight cluster without collisions to maximize effects like Martok and Gowron.

I agree with the previous recommendation for the Vor'cha, Negh'Var and Koraga, but my favorite loadout is Chang's Bird of Prey:

Chang's bird of prey (22)
Chang 7 (4)
Photon Torpedoes x 2 (3 each)

I use the weaker 4 die torpedoes from G'roth and Somraw; putting 2 torpedoes on this ship for 6 points is more valuable than one torpedo for 5.

It's a 32 point build, and the double-sensor echo available can generally keep you pointed at an enemy while remaining out arc - though that takes practice, and you may need Martok on a nearby ship for the target lock.

Typically, my other ships will have a named captain ( I favor Worf and Martok ) and Drex or N'Garen for the battlestations. Any other upgrades would be dependent on the nature of the scenario.

As mentioned previously, stasis field is particularly useful, but easily thrown away if you misplay it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
When I run lean and mean it's with the klingons. Agree with no upgrades more then 5 on a ship. A lot of times no upgrades. Quantity can have a quality all it's own at times. Had some luck with a vorcha and multiple kronos one's fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clark
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
lerris wrote:

Chang's bird of prey (22)
Chang 7 (4)
Photon Torpedoes x 2 (3 each)

As an aside, the double sensor echo is one before and one after. With a decent move order you are incredibly agile. Sensor echo left, turn right, sensor echo right, and you've basically turned on a dime. Sensor echo left, turn left, sensor echo left, and you've covered a ton of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My next 120 pt. all-Klingon build will include two K'tinga, two Bird of Prey and a B'rel, which leaves 16 points for captains.

Unfortunately, Matter of Honor seems to be discouraging small hulls and encouraging mixed fleets, so it won't be for that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass cannons are very popular with Klingons. The Ch'Tang (prize ship and tends to be expensive) goes down quick once you get past the cloaking defense dice (especially if the owner whiffs) but throws a lot of attack dice for its point value (allowing you to field more). Chang's bird of Prey and the Assimilated Bird of prey are all essentially the same. The Ch'Tang also had Defense Condition One, a card that discards and gives every Klingon ship a battlestations token -- great for alpha strikes (or defense).

Basically as people have said, lots of ships with Captains and maybe 1 upgrade ... maybe or no upgrades. Klingons are also action poor so advanced cloaking is popular so they don't have to recloak, though Klingons still have to reenable the advanced cloak card. Martok 8 gives out an action, much needed. Flagships can give the ship a free cloak which is really a useful way to improve action economy (use the Klingon flagship). Between Martok and the Klingon flagship you an really improve action economy but at the expense of more ships, which is really the preferred Klingon way. Try it each way and see what you think.

OOPs, one last thing. Play the Klingons against an opponent with 5-6 primary weapon value, especially if they have quality (say a couple of Sovereigns using battlestations) and they will probably shoot through the cloak and destroy the Klingons, maybe in one shot. Beware. Borg might not even consider the Klingon fleet to be threatening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.