GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,128 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Castles of Burgundy or Aquasphere? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
These games are both on my radar at the moment, and I've noticed I don't have any Feld games in my collection: this needs to change.

Castles of Burgundy is cheapest, and highest rated, and uses dice, which are all positives in my book.

Aquasphere has a stronger theme, nicer looking/better components, and seems like a heavier weight, which are again all pluses.

The deciding factors will probably be: which plays best with two people? And which has the most longevity?
We're finding we're starting to prefer the heavier games in our collection, but still like them pretty.

My profile's collection page is up to date, if that will give you any indications on which we'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Can only give you thoughts on CoB but I play exclusivley with my wife and we love CoB as a 2 player game. Ok the theme isn't very strong but all of the buildings make sense in the theme. I plays really smooth and once you get a few plays in you can easily play it with 2 in 60 minutes.

There is not really much to say about it, it is a classic and will be always high on 2 player Euro game lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoB is really the obvious choice for a first Feld game. Just get that and then start thinking about what your SECOND Feld game should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Mcfly
Canada
flag msg tools
Haven't played the other game but i will give a thumb up for COB. Everyone which i have shown the game really liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorenzo pettinari
Italy
Fermo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I and so recommend Cob. That was my first Feld, I never get tired of it, plenty of replayability. Then I bought Bora Bora, Aquasphere and Luna. All amazing. They all really shine in 2 players, I mostly play only in 2. They all have lot of replayability, they are heavy enough, lot of choices. Start with burgundy, and then buy all the others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquasphere is a little more aggressive, and as such is better at higher player counts. For starters it has an area control mechanic, which always works better with more players, in addition, there is a mechanic where once you have too many robots in an area's storage bay they will "flush" out all bar 1 per player. In a 4 player game it takes a lot longer to reach that point and due to the way in which the game is structured players are more likely to become overconcentrated, which can lead to some unpleasant surprises. At 2 it flushes a lot quicker and is not terribly punitive when it does.

Castles on the other hand is great at 2 as it plays really quickly and despite it's weight it has some hidden depths. I've played it 20 times now and am not yet bored. At more than 2 you'll get more downtime which will make it drag a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only tried Castles of Burgundy and 80% of the time as a 2 player game.

... and I'm just not loving it.
I always sit with a 'meh'-feeling when playing - whatever I do, I score points in some way - and I often feel like the dice rolls aren't that important since it (to me at least) isn't that important if I build that or this building this turn or in 8 turns. It will result in the same effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played both games and with two I'd go for Castles. You can also first try Castles on yucata.de for free and see how it feels with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoB is simply awesome. It's easy to learn, easy to teach, and has enough strategic complexity for anybody to understand.

Aquasphere is a more complicated game which likely isn't as approachable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games really aren't similar at all. I routinely fail to understand why people try to associate the 2.

For me, Castles of Burgundy just doesn't do it for me. I've never quite been able to put my finger on it. Aquasphere, on the other hand, scratches a pretty unique itch in that it's part programming game, part worker placement. It plays tightly, and challenges you every step of the way.

It's not one of my favourite games, but between the 2, Aquasphere is hands-down the better issuance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quintious wrote:
The two games really aren't similar at all. I routinely fail to understand why people try to associate the 2.

Their only association to me is by designer, nothing more. They both look good in their own, unique way.

I think I'll need to take a bit more of a look in to each game, as the opinions here sway both ways (although Castles of Burgundy seems to get more love).

The programming mechanic in AquaSphere is something I've only come across recently, and infrequently, with Lords of Xidit and River Dragons, and it was actually quite enjoyable.
I do enjoy a harder game too.

However, Castles of Burgundy is true and tested, and the rating needs to speak for itself. Maybe a few video reviews are in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For two, definitely Castles. If you were playing with four, I'd say Aquasohere. Castles is best with two, whereas Aquasphere is okay. Aquasphere is best with four, whereas I'd never play Castles with four. I'd say it's more of a toss up with three. Neither is best with three; they're both good with three. I'd probably to with Castles with three, as its a timeless game and Felds best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquasphere is amazing. AMAZING. But I've only played with 4 so I can't fully comment on how it plays with two. As with a lot of felds the level of interaction isn't HUGE so I can see it scaling reasonably well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
Aquasphere is amazing. AMAZING. But I've only played with 4 so I can't fully comment on how it plays with two. As with a lot of felds the level of interaction isn't HUGE so I can see it scaling reasonably well.

I'd disagree that interaction isn't huge. I'd say there is quite a bit of interaction--probably above average for a typical Euro and high for a Feld game. There is the whole area of control component as well as competition for the resources in the different sectors. I'm constantly calculating what the other plays want and are able to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
velvetvoulge wrote:
Castles of Burgundy is cheapest, and highest rated, and uses dice, which are all positives in my book. Aquasphere has a stronger theme, nicer looking/better components, and seems like a heavier weight, which are again all pluses.

AquaSphere's theme will cease to be a thing after a few games; and its components are annoyingly richly detailed which will become a thing after a few games. AquaSphere is also the equivalent of stuffing the players in an iron maiden from which a few spikes have been removed 'for added comfort'.

Your current collection informs me that either game would fit without problems.

Get CoB. It's the more playable and carefree game in that you can more or less do what you want given a random input, instead of being told that yes, you can do X but you will suffer majorly from Y as a consequence, and that for every X you can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
velvetvoulge wrote:
Castles of Burgundy is cheapest, and highest rated, and uses dice, which are all positives in my book. Aquasphere has a stronger theme, nicer looking/better components, and seems like a heavier weight, which are again all pluses.

AquaSphere's theme will cease to be a thing after a few games; and its components are annoyingly richly detailed which will become a thing after a few games. AquaSphere is also the equivalent of stuffing the players in an iron maiden from which a few spikes have been removed 'for added comfort'.

Your current collection informs me that either game would fit without problems.

Get CoB. It's the more playable and carefree game in that you can more or less do what you want given a random input, instead of being told that yes, you can do X but you will suffer majorly from Y as a consequence, and that for every X you can think of.

It's a Euro--timing and efficiency are important. You can't just float around doing whatever you feel like and expect to do well. I don't find it to be a punishing game. Something tells me you would hate In the Year of the Dragon or any game that punishes poor play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
There are over 750 extensive game comments of mine waiting for you to be discovered here. Read through them—it will take a while—and see if you still think I hate games which punish poor play. You will also find my comment on IJdD there.

You see, my remark on AquaSphere doesn't quite mean what you think it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.