Subject: Pre-game and GT1 Tactical Surprise Scenario slightly Modified rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be a slightly modified Tactical Surprise Scenario of Next War: Korea. The following optional rules will be used:

Air Cushioned Vehicles, PRC Full Intervention (with a modified reinforcement schedule), PRC Carrier units, PRC Stealth units, F-22 Raptor Deployment, USMC & USN F-35’s, US Long Range Bombers (will be based in Japan but considered to be in Guam), US F-22 & F-35’s are considered Wild Weasels, ROK F-35’s and AH-64’s, air and helicopter replacement (although just the units listed in NWT), & Naval Bombardment.

The PRC will use the following reinforcement schedule:
Units available at start of game: 2x J-10, 2x JF-17, 2x Su30MKk2, 1x J-11B. Start in DPRK.
GT2: 1x J-31, 2x J-20, 2x Su-27, 4x J-11, 5x H-6
GT3: 1x AMPH, 1x SAG, 1 Mar Brigade (6 units from NWT), 43rd ABD, 2x SOF, 3x JH-7, 2x J-16
GT4: 39GA, 1x Zhi-10 helo, 4x J-10, 3x Su30
GT5:1x AMPH, 1x CVBG, 164 Mar Brigade (6 units from NWT), 44th ABD, 2x J-15
GT7: 1AMID (4 units from NWT), 2x J-10, 2x Su30
GT8: 40GA, 1x Zhi-10
GT10: 38GA, 4x J-7, 4x J-8
GT12: 12GA, 1x Q-5
GT13: 1GA (10 Armored Division will be the units from NWT)
GT14: 45 ABD

The following rule adjustments will be used:
1. Light Infantry units (and only Light Infantry units) can trace supply to an Air Cushioned Vehicle landing hex. However, if the hex is ever recaptured it can never be used for supply again.
2. ROK/Allied units can only conduct pre-game movement if they pass an ER check. If they pass they can only use half their movement points. DPRK pre-game movement is still their full movement.
3. ROK receives 1 replacement point starting with GT1.
4. ROK air force is fully prepared at the beginning of the game. Ignore Scenario Special Rule 3.
5. DPRK Amphibious units and marines can start in the In Shore Box of either sea zone. The US CVN and AMPH (which can be loaded) start in the East Sea. The East Sea is still controlled by the DPRK though.

This scenario postulates a slow buildup of DPRK forces through the use of war games, training, and other deception means. Assume the North Koreans, with the PRC assisting, conduct massive training and war games over a six to eight week period. Each time the training is completed a few units don’t make it back to their home areas. A tank battalion or two has some “maintenance problems” and has to stay in their forward deployed areas. An infantry division disappears into some tunnel complexes. A forward deployed artillery unit does not fire off it live ammunition. A local emergency requires an infantry division or three to help out the population. Now the Allies are not blind to what is going on but over the eight weeks or so that this is occurring they constantly call up their troops and ready their aircraft and then nothing happens. This occurs several times over the eight weeks (or maybe longer) that some of the politicians and military leaders think the North Koreans are just blustering as usual. When the balloon does finally go up the ROK troops are caught somewhat by surprise, thus they have to make an ER check to move and can only move half their rate. The good news is the ROK replacement system is up and running and their air force is ready to go. The bad news is any forward troops are going get hurt by the tunnel markers and probably destroyed. The PRC is assumed to want to solve the South Korean problem before taking care of Taiwan. To do so they commit a large portion, with most of their new hi-tech, air force in this battle. The forward air units that were taking part in the “training exercises” are used to help maintain air superiority over Korea until further air units can be shifted into the theater.

Now, how realistic is this? I have no idea. One my only quibbles about the game is that the tunnel markers are really only good in the Strategic Surprise Scenario. In the other scenarios the ROK simply uses its pre-game movement to move back a hex and allow the covering forces to soak up the tunnels. The tunnel markers are an important part of the North Korean’s arsenal but are nullified in two of the advanced scenarios. I wanted to allow the possibility of their use. I’m allowing Light Infantry units to trace supply to an Air Cushioned Vehicle landing hex just so they can cause some problems without being put out of supply easily. The ROK air force is ready to go simply because I felt that by adding the additional Chinese air units to the at start forces that the ROK units would be at a higher state of readiness. Finally consider the ROK phone tree is up and running which is why their replacements are starting out at the beginning.

Pre-Game SCUD attacks: Ten SCUD’s hit ten airbases throughout South Korea. Seochu, Osan, Daeju, Pohang, and Busan Airbases are destroyed and Cheongju receives a Strike 2. The ROK loses two airmobile points, two F-35 steps, and three A-50 steps.

Game Turn 1:
“Yes Sir, as of right now several DPRK units are completely through the DMZ although a defense is forming north east of Seoul.”

“Alright Jack give us the complete rundown.”

“Yes Sir. As all of you know the North Korean have been conducting massive training exercises over the last eight weeks or so. The Chinese have sent several of their air wings to the North to train with the North Korean air forces. We now know that the North Koreans used this as a massive deception plan to get their forward troops ready for an invasion. Three days ago SCUD missiles struck ten airbases throughout the ROK. Five airbases were destroyed and one received significant damage. The South lost some airmobile capability (2 steps), some of their new F-35’s (2 steps), and several A-50’s (3 steps).
DPRK and PRC electronic detection units located the ROK I and V Corps HQ’s while we located the 620 and 806 HQ’s. We did not have the assets available to strike either HQ however. Plus the North’s air defenses are still formidable” replies Jack.

“Understood…continue” says the General.

“At the same time the SCUD’s hit numerous DPRK Special Operations troops attacked Air Defense radar sites throughout the country. The South Koreans lost seven points of the detection ability. The DPRK Special Ops forces also hit four airbases, destroying one and damaging another. Another airmobile point was lost. Intelligence reports no losses to the North Koreans.

“Air battles were pretty one sided at this time. The South Koreans F-15K’s and F-16C’s, assisted by USN F-35’s, went up against thirty flights of DPRK and PRC aircraft. The South lost an F-15K, had another reduced and aborted along with two F-16’s aborted. The North had two Mig-29’s aborted while the Chinese had two J-10’s aborted, and one J-11 reduced and aborted. The North Koreans gained Air Superiority in the air.

“Our own Special Forces went on a SCUD busting mission, destroying one launcher. They also targeted the 620 and 806 HQ’s but again we didn’t have anything that could hit them. Two ROK Special Forces units were lost.

“The North then hit Busan with another SCUD missile attack but missed the target. Numerous North Korean strike aircraft attacked divisions of the ROK III and V Corps. Four divisions were damaged with strike 1 results.

“While the air strikes were going on North Korean air cushioned vehicles landed two brigades worth of Light Infantry north of Gimpo. Amphibious assault ships moved North Korean marines into the area south of Incheon. Three Light Infantry units tried to conduct infiltration operations through the forward ROK defenses but were detected and received strike 2 results. Four DPRK Light Infantry units try to use airmobile movement but are all aborted by local defenses. A DPRK unit is parachuted north of Gimpo Airbase.

“In the ensuing attacks the North Korean marines established a beachhead in hex 2301. The Sniper and Light Infantry units that used the ACV’s destroyed the 103/CAP brigade in hex 2621. The DPRK II Corps destroyed the ROK covering force at 2818. The PYG Corps with artillery support attacked and reduced the ROK 5/VI division in 3017. The DPRK 815 and 820 Corps, using air and helicopter gunships, destroyed a covering force and reduced the ROK 3/V division in 3314. The DPRK V and 820 Corps with helicopter support destroyed a covering force and forced the 8/V division to retreat from hex 3519. Along the east coast road the ROK 12/III division was completely surrounded by light infantry and destroyed by the DPRK 108 and I Corps. The ROK II Corps did stop the DPRK 806 and I Corps in hex 4116 causing a step loss to a division from the DPRK I Corps.

“Our elite units moved in response to these attacks. The ROK VII Corps moved to contain the beachhead. The US 2ID units moved toward Uijeongbu while the 1/82 brigade moved into Seoul. The ROK 26/VI and 30/I Mechanized Divisions moved north east of Namynangju to back stop the ROK defenses.

“DPRK forces continued exploiting their success by sea lifting the 41/IV division into the beachhead south of Incheon. Two more Light Infantry units move north east of Seoul by ACV’s while three Light Infantry units move into Gimpo and start conducting clearing operations. A rupture of the ROK lines started to form basically from Munam east to the mountains. Elements of four DPRK Corps are being pushed into the breach. Also, along the east coast road another division from the ROK III Corps is cut off.

“In the exploitation combats the DPRK II corps uses chemical munitions and destroys the ROK 25/I division in hex 2918. (Note: I forgot the movement penalty for the chemical attack) The PYG Corps finishes off the reduced 5/VI division in hex 3017. The DPRK 45/V division attacks a covering force in hex 3215 but is reduced. The 815 and V Corps complete the destruction of the ROK 3/V division. The 820 and V Corps are bloodied, taking two step losses, trying to attack the ROK 8/V division in 3616. The 806 and I Corps attack the ROK 15/II division in hex 4116 with both sides taking losses. Along the east coast the 108 and I Corps destroy the 21/III division in hex 4613.

“In reaction to all of these attacks we shifted some units forward to make some local counter attacks, especially to the west of Seoul. Also, a solid line of units was formed from Munsan to the mountains, however there are no reserves left uncommitted. US and ROK Marines move into the In Shore box of the East Sea. Several DPRK diesel subs were detected and destroyed during the movement (they made their contested Sea Movement Roll).

“Our subsequent attacks gave the North Koreans a bloody nose. The CAP Corps and 1/82 Brigade destroyed two Light Infantry units in Gimpo but could not clear the city. VII Corps and 2ID mechanized units destroyed the DPRK 41/IV division and marine unit in 2301 but could not overrun the beachhead. (Note: I wasn’t sure if the beachhead is considered units if it receives an R result. In this attack the result was -/3R which destroyed the infantry division and marine brigade. I then rolled an ER check for the beachhead marker to see if it could ignore the retreat result. It made it so I figured the beach troops held off the might of two mech divisions and a US HBCT) The ROK I Corps destroys the 32/II Light Infantry brigade in hex 2919. Finally the ROK III and VIII Corps attack the 17 Sniper Brigade in 4616 and destroy it.

“A cruise missile strike was launched at the DPRK beachhead but missed completely.

“The North continued to move Light Infantry units north west of Seoul and another infantry division landed in the beachhead. The DPRK II Corps then destroyed the already reduced 9/I division in 2910 while the DPRK V Corps destroyed the final covering force unit in hex 3215.

“In response to this the ROK III Corps, what is left of it, moved to assist the II Corps in counterattacking the DPRK I Corps near 2301. Along the east coast the VIII Corps moved into the final two hexes of the DMZ and is digging in. The CAP Corps and 1/82 Brigade again attack the Light Infantry units in Gimpo, destroying two. The 1/82 Brigade is reduced. The VII and 2ID again attacks units in the beachhead. The DPRK 33/IV infantry division is destroyed but the beachhead holds again. (The beachhead made its ER check against another retreat) In hex 4216 the ROK II and III Corps destroy the reduced DPRK 31/I division. Finally north of Seoul in hex 2918 units from the ROK I Corps destroy the reduced DPRK 3/II division which cuts off the 8/II division.

“The Light Infantry unit in Gimpo is destroyed by local forces while trying to clear the city while the cut off DPRK 8/II infantry division is isolated but did not surrender” finishes Jack.

“What are the estimated losses for both sides Jack?” asks the General.

“Sir, the Republic of Korea has lost six Infantry Divisions, one Infantry Brigade, one F-15K, and all covering force units. Plus the 1/82 Brigade is reduced. Replacements went to a division in the ROK II Corps. The DPRK has lost four Infantry Divisions and ten Light Infantry type brigades. They also have a few units that are reduced. We believe replacements went to two divisions in the PYG Corps to replace losses they sustained in fighting through the DMZ” replies Jack.

“Alright, our first priority is the elimination of that beachhead and stopping those light infantry from getting into Gimpo again…” says the General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Always love reading the situation reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mitchell. Always a fun game to play...especially when adding in all the extra toys.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.