Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I am looking for a civilization-building game, preferably Roman empire. The wife really enjoys Caesar 3 (older pc game, but a fantastic title),@and mentioned that a board game with similar concepts might be fun. Would prefer the following:

2-4 players, but would play well with 2
Preferably Roman setting
Require food production, growing population, markets/granaries for food distribution
Increased culture for universities/temples/libraries/festivals
Some economic or trading component
A feel that you are actually growing a civilization
Low/optional threshold for direct PvP conflict
2-3 hour commitment per session
More of a euro game...less dice

Anything even somewhat close to this exist?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures meets the majority of those criteria.

2-4 players
Base game is civ neutral, but with the expansion you can literally play as the Romans.
Food, wood, ore, gold & culture all usable resources.
Customizable cities dictate what your civ will be good at.
Trade routes exist, but are not viable in a strictly 2 player game.
With a robust tech tree, you are absolutely growing your civ.
Domination victories are certainly possible, but are by no means mandatory, and variants exist to minimize further
1.5-2 hour play sessions
Literally no dice EDIT: Yes there are, but less "swingy" than most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkelly17 wrote:
Clash of Cultures meets the majority of those criteria.
Literally no dice

So how do you do combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash has dice. Combat is resolved rolling 1d6 per combat unit, every 5 pips is a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
Clash has dice. Combat is resolved rolling 1d6 per combat unit, every 5 pips is a hit.

My mistake, you are correct. We play the non-combat variant in my house, and have not used the dice in some time.

The base play style is exactly that though. If you attack with four soldiers, you roll four dice. For every five pips visible, you scored one "hit".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would recommend Concordia (BGG Rank 61), as it fits a lot of your requirements, and the SO and I really enjoy playing it 2-player.

2-5 players
Mediterranean-based, but you start in Rome
Resource production: food, tools, brick, wine, cloth
No culture, unfortunately (look to another Mac Gerdts game, Antike Duellum, for this)
The whole game is economy driven, with market trading possibilities
Transport routes (not trade), either land or sea-based
No technologies, unfortunately (look to another Mac Gerdts game, Antike Duellum, for this)
No domination - only aggression is in blocking movement/stealing cards
Plays about 60-90 minutes with 2, about 120 minutes with more
No dice/luck except the card draw - almost perfect information
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Clash of Cultures hits right at 90% or so of what I am looking for. The tech tree component is intriguing, and my wife loves that in games (ala Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island ). Minimal dice is ok, as combat would be more aof a novelty item between us...at least I think so anyway. She did like catching me off-guard in our games of Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery...so you never know.

I am going to keep my eye on Concordia though... maybe spin up a play-through of each just to weigh the differences.

Thanks for the suggestions to-date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BirdfluNuggetz wrote:
I think Clash of Cultures hits right at 90% or so of what I am looking for. The tech tree component is intriguing, and my wife loves that in games (ala Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island ). Minimal dice is ok, as combat would be more aof a novelty item between us...at least I think so anyway. She did like catching me off-guard in our games of Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery...so you never know.

I am going to keep my eye on Concordia though... maybe spin up a play-through of each just to weigh the differences.

Thanks for the suggestions to-date.

Concordia is playable online on Boîte à Jeux if you wanted to test the water with it.

Clash of Cultures is high on my wishlist as a civilisation game that plays well with two after doing my research, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I just picked up Clash of Cultures last weekend and played our first learning game. We really enjoyed it, especially as two people who grew up playing PC civ games (I was a HUGE fan of Caesar III!). Since there are "NPC" Barbarians that show up in the game, it is possible to go after them instead of the other player, which is what I ended up doing. My husband isn't a big fan of dice either, but it is easily mitigated by planning in advance. From two predominantly euro gamers, we recommend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
My husband and I just picked up Clash of Cultures last weekend and played our first learning game. We really enjoyed it, especially as two people who grew up playing PC civ games (I was a HUGE fan of Caesar III!). Since there are "NPC" Barbarians that show up in the game, it is possible to go after them instead of the other player, which is what I ended up doing. My husband isn't a big fan of dice either, but it is easily mitigated by planning in advance. From two predominantly euro gamers, we recommend!

This is perfect...so you know what kind of game I was trying to describe!

Well, if you can give CoC a good recommendation, and you love CIII, I guess this seals the deal!

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BirdfluNuggetz wrote:

This is perfect...so you know what kind of game I was trying to describe!

Well, if you can give CoC a good recommendation, and you love CIII, I guess this seals the deal!

Thanks!!

You're welcome! Good luck with the game and I would be interested in how you like it, from a fellow CIII fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clash is one of my top games of all time. I agree that the expansion makes it even better.

There are a couple other games you might want to look at, though. Check out Antike II and Romolo o Remo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.