Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2-Player Alternative to Constructed: King Solomon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
King Solomon is a format for 2 players.

Collection

Divide your collection of cards into 4 energy groups.

-Low energy cards that cost 1-3 energy.
-4 energy cards that cost 4 energy.
-5 energy cards that cost 5 energy.
-High energy cards that cost 6+ energy.

You can store your collection divided up so you can draft whenever you want.

Drafting

Place 4 random action cards + dice on the table.

1. Choose 4 random cards from one of the energy groups that hasn't been drafted yet. Place them face-up on the table.
2. The first picker drafts one card.
3. The second picker drafts two cards.
4. The first picker drafts the last remaining card.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 four times, once for each energy group, alternating picker order. Each player will end up with 8 cards.

Once everyone has their cards, put 3 dice on each card. Each player will have 24 dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem for this is that you are more prone to get stuck with bad cards with no synergy, than if you just reveal 4 cards, each player picks one and discards the rest, alternating who picks first and repeating until each player has 8 cards.

What makes Solomon better?

The strict balance of having 2 1-3s, 2 4s, 2 5s and two 6+s?

That means you'd never have a game outside of those parameters, like 4 1-3s and 3 5s and 1 6+.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sticker wrote:

Once everyone has their cards, put 3 dice on each card. Each player will have 24 dice.

Do you just play without the character cards that have die limits lower than 3? Cerebro comes to mind...there are probably others but it seems you'd have a big advantage to put two other dice towards the cards you want a full limit on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sprague
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried this today and loved it... perhaps there's a more refined method along this variants lines but this was cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
The problem for this is that you are more prone to get stuck with bad cards with no synergy, than if you just reveal 4 cards, each player picks one and discards the rest, alternating who picks first and repeating until each player has 8 cards.

What makes Solomon better?

The strict balance of having 2 1-3s, 2 4s, 2 5s and two 6+s?

That means you'd never have a game outside of those parameters, like 4 1-3s and 3 5s and 1 6+.


Reasons we like this vs. Constructed:

1. We use all our collection.
2. It puts players on relatively even footing.
3. It never has repetitive play pattern.

If you want to mix up the parameters, it would be easy to do so. Just mix up random cards from the energy groups in the desired quanities and Solomon away.

As for the method you described, sounds fine. It doesn't force players to work with subpar cards (which I find desirable), but certainly sounds like a fun way to run more powerful builds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
gladiator_posse wrote:
sticker wrote:

Once everyone has their cards, put 3 dice on each card. Each player will have 24 dice.

Do you just play without the character cards that have die limits lower than 3? Cerebro comes to mind...there are probably others but it seems you'd have a big advantage to put two other dice towards the cards you want a full limit on.


Yes, in which case the dice limit overrules the standard 3. Also, if I don't have 3 dice of a particular card, you get what I got.

The 3 dice rule is to keep it around 24 dice (in the neighborhood of the 20 dice constructed limit). Plus collecting 3 dice is relatively easy... A starter + common/uncommon set on Ebay runs about $50 shipped per expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sticker wrote:
okami31 wrote:
The problem for this is that you are more prone to get stuck with bad cards with no synergy, than if you just reveal 4 cards, each player picks one and discards the rest, alternating who picks first and repeating until each player has 8 cards.

What makes Solomon better?

The strict balance of having 2 1-3s, 2 4s, 2 5s and two 6+s?

That means you'd never have a game outside of those parameters, like 4 1-3s and 3 5s and 1 6+.


Reasons we like this vs. Constructed:

1. We use all our collection.
2. It puts players on relatively even footing.
3. It never has repetitive play pattern.

If you want to mix up the parameters, it would be easy to do so. Just mix up random cards from the energy groups in the desired quanities and Solomon away.

As for the method you described, sounds fine. It doesn't force players to work with subpar cards (which I find desirable), but certainly sounds like a fun way to run more powerful builds.


The good thing is that there's plenty of ways and house-rules to make the game more enjoyable and/or truly shine.

Reading about constructed is depressing to me, because it's just about ultimate efficiency, which sounds like squeezing the fun out of it for the sake of winning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
The good thing is that there's plenty of ways and house-rules to make the game more enjoyable and/or truly shine.

Reading about constructed is depressing to me, because it's just about ultimate efficiency, which sounds like squeezing the fun out of it for the sake of winning.


Agreed 100%.

yeah winning/mastery isn't my goal in games. My 10-year old daughter probably wins 75% of the games. She's a great gamer, and I get distracted trying to make silly combos work while she just kills me.

BTW, she likes drafting. Gives her more investment in the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sticker wrote:
okami31 wrote:
The good thing is that there's plenty of ways and house-rules to make the game more enjoyable and/or truly shine.

Reading about constructed is depressing to me, because it's just about ultimate efficiency, which sounds like squeezing the fun out of it for the sake of winning.


Agreed 100%.

yeah winning/mastery isn't my goal in games. My 10-year old daughter probably wins 75% of the games. She's a great gamer, and I get distracted trying to make silly combos work while she just kills me.

BTW, she likes drafting. Gives her more investment in the game.


That's cool!

What's her favorite heroes/cards?

My 14-yr old nephew quit after I won a couple of games. Games where he loses horribly at first, tend not to stick around.

You know, now that you mention silly combos, when I play solo with two randomly drafted teams, sometimes I found some great synergy that I feel nobody in the world has found out, then a couple games later, another team trounces my "elite" team and I start the process again.

For now, any Beast is an auto-draft, and Gobby is on watch for a perma-ban.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
She keys in on the female characters, especially ones that she finds relatable like Black Widow, X-23, Storm and She Hulk.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sticker wrote:
She keys in on the female characters, especially ones that she finds relatable like Black Widow, X-23, Storm and She Hulk.


I bet Wasp is going to be a favorite too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have been looking for something to give some sense of 'deal with this scenario' kinda thing. To focus game choice within set parameters rather than ok so pick some cards from whole colection...kinda overwhelming tbh...Looked at modding rainbow draft (from home collection) for two players. Will try this out. Wondering if the draw number could be increased to choose from by an extra two cards per energy set...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I might add a fifth card and draft by passing hands so a single card will be discarded from each set and some mystery may be created between players...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
The problem for this is that you are more prone to get stuck with bad cards with no synergy, than if you just reveal 4 cards, each player picks one and discards the rest, alternating who picks first and repeating until each player has 8 cards.

What makes Solomon better?

The strict balance of having 2 1-3s, 2 4s, 2 5s and two 6+s?

That means you'd never have a game outside of those parameters, like 4 1-3s and 3 5s and 1 6+.


I don't see this as a problem at all for new players, something I am quite interested in. I want to try to run some games at lunch for new players. This will allow me to make varied teams without having to think so much.

I would personally prefer to pre-make several startup teams for this, but at least this would allow for fairly quick setup with some randomness. We can go for the synergies later if interest grows that much.

I have plenty of spare basic cards and dice, so this can work. I may need to get an extra Age of Ultron base set to get the cards there, but I can just bring my normal dice.

I may make up a common/uncommon set (as much as possible) for each release (possibly mixing all the superheros together). Keeping Yu-gi-oh and D&D separate has merit.

That should allow me to help them get a taste for the game in a simple manner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.