Super Motherload» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Short Review of Super Motherload rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Played it again this Monday and everyone had a blast. I really dig this game. A really polished gem of a game!

Enough with the puns. Down with the review! I keep this short and quick, if you are interested in the details, the publisher produced a how-to-play video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNqeSuNQMXM

Mechanics
Super Motherload is a deckbuilder with a board. Your card hand enables you to dig through mars and get valuable gems. Those gems are used to buy better cards for your deck that let you dig (or bomb) deeper.

In your turn, you can do two plays. In each of those plays, you can

1. Drawing two cards from your deck
2. Play cards to either bomb or dig into mars

The deckbuilding ist great. Buying a card is a meaningful decision, as your deck is small and each of those cards also has a buy-effect that is resolved immediately. Nobody but you can buy your cards, and all decks are slightly asymmetrical.

Theme
The "dig into the moon" is ok and gives this one a science fiction touch. What is really great is that the mechanics and the theme really fit together to the point that some rules are self-explanatory because of the theme (For example, you really don't need to explain the rule that you have to connect to an existing tunnel or the surface if you want to dig or bomb - it's logical because of the theme.)

Artwork
The Artwork is great. The Pilot Portraits have that adventurous soap box derby style. Also, it is of high quality, the illustrators know their stuff (That would be them: http://mrcuddington.com/en/).

Product & Graphic Design
The package is surprisingly small and respects your shelf-space. Everything fits perfectly into a very small box. The use of icons is great and a lot of the achievements don't need the text description. The board-"scrolling" is awesome and just feels so thematic. Top-notch production value.

Player count
It might be a general strength of deck-builders, but this game really is fun for two players.

There is a bit of downtime (because those two moves you can make on your turn really are big decisions), but then again it never gets boring, because each move from your opponents destroys and creates opportunities for you.

Play time
I think you can count about 20 Minutes per player per game. It is prone to analysis-paralysis because every move heavily impacts the other players.

Final thoughts
I am sure that I will play this game often, the mechanics are tight, it is a good game for two and it is easy to explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter B
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibul wrote:

Artwork
The Artwork is great. The Pilot Portraits have that adventurous soap box derby style. Also, it is of high quality, the illustrators know their stuff (That would be them: http://mrcuddington.com/en/).

I think they only did the cover art.

RoosterJuice wrote:
datiswous wrote:

The art is actually made by Gavan Brown (as fas as I know) for the computer game and later used for the board game.

Was certainly a team effort. The art for the videogame was done by Scott Carmichael. These take the form of the pilot illustrations in the game. The box cover was done by David Forest and Lina Cossette. The graphic design, including the mineral tiles and card borders were done by myself. All original graphics were created by Scott Carmichael of XGen studios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
> I think you can count about 20 Minutes per player per game. It is prone to analysis-paralysis because every move heavily impacts the other players.

That sounds really good actually.
Sure parallelism would up it a notch.
But if there wasn't this kind of influence then I would be bored by lack of interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.