20 Posts

Alien Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: Get now or pledge for big box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross Cassatt
msg tools
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if this game is worth to buy as a standalone without needing any of the expansions, or does it play much better with the expansions. Here's the deal, I do not own the game and have been mulling it over fora while. Then I saw that there is gonna be a big box for $125 with every expansion. Is the game much better with the expansions in terms of gaming experience, or do they make the game to fiddly to enjoy. If the game is much better with the expansions, I will probably just order and wait the year and order the big box and just wait. This big box really threw a new wrench into my plans of getting the game sooner than later. Also, do you guys feel that Alien frontiers is a better game than Among the Stars, cosmic encounter, and core worlds? I know that these are all vastly different games, but I only have room in my collection for one scifi game. Thanks for any and all insight! God Bless!

Ross

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want to play it now, or in 1.5+ years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Salute
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game itself is available now, and all of the expansions are either out now or will be in the very near future. However, should you want to get the Big Box (either full of AF stuff or just on its own) this is the only way to guarantee it. We are unsure as yet as to whether or not this will reach retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is great as is. Once you're ready for an expansion, many will recommend the Factions, but I prefer the Outer Belt. Though I still say it's worth it to grab both eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game is great. Factions is not that good in my opinion. I haven't tried outer belt.

I quite like the mini expansions tho and the custom pieces expansion, but they are not needed initially.

Also, all the stuff fits in the small original box anyways. No need for a big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
djhopscotch wrote:
Do you want to play it now, or in 1.5+ years?

This is really the question because you will wait a REALLY long time to get your game. Game Saulte's reputation is that you will get it. But you are going to wait a very long time, the quality can be very good to out right bad, and the projects are generally full of crap.

Alien Frontiers without the expansions is a very good game. It's just the publisher that sucks.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and before pledging you may want to look at this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171113/game-salute-caution...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Base game is great. Factions is not that good in my opinion. I haven't tried outer belt.

I quite like the mini expansions tho and the custom pieces expansion, but they are not needed initially.

Also, all the stuff fits in the small original box anyways. No need for a big box.

So long as you're buying new the Upgrade Pack is rendered obsolete, but if you're buying an older edition it is nice to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, but I'd advise against kickstarting anything Game Salute has so much as farted on, let alone published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene D
United States
flag msg tools
Well, as was mentioned do you NEED to play now or can you wait.
the best deal I could find online was about $200 for all of the stuff in the KS, minus the updated, larger game boards. So I backed the project.

Originally I did not think that the game might be any more delayed than most KS projects since, with the exception of the new boards, all of the components would already be completed and available well before the given shipping date. However, they have now added some Stretch Goals that may impact that - a combined rulebook & upgraded components (though the improved relic die was a previous upgrade). The good part is that none of these stretch goals are directly related to funding level - i.e., number of backers (at any level), number of BGG Alien Frontier Fans, Twitter Followers, & Facebook Likes.

Keeping in mind the Game Salute warnings, I am hoping that they will use this KS to amend their currently tarnished KS image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rossman85 wrote:
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if this game is worth to buy as a standalone without needing any of the expansions, or does it play much better with the expansions. Here's the deal, I do not own the game and have been mulling it over fora while. Then I saw that there is gonna be a big box for $125 with every expansion. Is the game much better with the expansions in terms of gaming experience, or do they make the game to fiddly to enjoy. If the game is much better with the expansions, I will probably just order and wait the year and order the big box and just wait. This big box really threw a new wrench into my plans of getting the game sooner than later.

There is a vocal minority having problems with Game Salute.
If you can look past that "issue" I would advice you to back the current campaign as it will definitely make the game look better and is probably going to be the best deal you can find.
As far as expansions goes, I have only tried the early factions expansions and they make the game better IMHO.
Extra relic cards etc. never hurt either...
Rossman85 wrote:

Also, do you guys feel that Alien frontiers is a better game than Among the Stars, cosmic encounter, and core worlds? I know that these are all vastly different games, but I only have room in my collection for one scifi game. Thanks for any and all insight! God Bless!

Ross

I am not a fan of Among the Stars - too little interaction between players.
Cosmic Encounter really requires the right group to play well as some races are far better than others. I am so so about the game.
Never tried Core Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only reason it's a minority is the "vocal" part. Not everybody has a subscription or awareness of the threads to complain, but if you read the comments sections from the previous kickstarters, I think it's safe to say that at the very least, a substantial "minority" is displeased

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the copies currently available still have that board error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
Do the copies currently available still have that board error?

I believe it was the entire 4th printing that had the board error, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Although I still have my 1st ed board. Tempted to back for the big board and box on the bigger box edition here but er $27 after shipping, upgraded components which are neat but meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
4th edition, 1st printing boards have the error, the recent 4.2 boards are error free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already Have; Pledge Big Box? Warning: Small Rant Coming

Not played yet. Own new 4th Ed base and AF: Factions; invested $90. Now along comes the BB version on KS.

No comprehensive list of what is in every box: Expansions/Factions. Not sure if Outer Belt is in 4th Ed or not.

AFAIK the only thing I am missing would be the 7 Expansion Packs ALL of which show on BGG as unreleased but CardHaus shows Exp 1&2 as available...BUT:

- Presumably the base game being 4P would have 4 Factions (if you aren't a faction what are you in the base game?); AF: Factions has 8 (per the box). KS BB shows 12 Factions. QUESTION: Are the Base Game plus Factions the same 12 Factions?

- Is the Outer Belt in the 4th Ed of the game? I think not as it is pricey on its own...

Rant: This is a mess to keep track of. Maybe intentional - keep'em buying but maybe not - more popular than we thought; let's do a large box. I like expansions as well as anyone but this is border crazy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
It really not that hard to keep track of, the 4th edition is just the base game, nothing come with it. Alien Frontiers: Factions is extra and there are Faction packs (1, 2, 3 & 4). The Alien Frontiers: Outer Belt is the 2nd (& last) "big box" expansion. Finally all the promo packs, 1-6 KS backers of the 4th edition receive in January. They've been releasing them 1 at a time for retail, but I can't remember what number they're upto, 3 or 4 I think. Finally promo pack 7 came with a pre-order of The Outer Belt & will be the last to see retail. I hope this was the answer you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A serious question: do we trust the new board in the big box to not have typos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
They released a picture of it, guess we better double check it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew, kinda glad I forgot about this one. I was back and forth about backing it and now I can't

Gonna just try to pick up the base game on the cheap however long it takes :3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.