Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After one play of the game, I was wondering if you could play the game where you couldn't buy a parcel that contained a house. This seems like it would make one have to place houses strategically, since they would always be able to be used by everyone.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it you can't buy houses. Houses are only placed when building another type of building which requires a house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this "variant" unintentionally for the first two or so games, before we realized that player-owned houses no longer count towards income-earning buildings!

All I can say from my own personal experience is that people tend to make quite a bit more income... I'm not sure if it really affected where people placed them, but it would certainly affect end-game scores as well as the type of actions taken on the last round, as there wouldn't be a huge rush of people trying to buy up 2-point properties.

Would you make buying up mountains illegal in this proposed variant, as well? It'd make mines a heck of a lot more valuable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of that as well.

It can be frustrating getting a good spot and then having all of the houses bought out from under you. It also doesn't really make sense that people in a nearby drugstore wouldn't go to it since it was owned by another landlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
I thought of that as well.

It can be frustrating getting a good spot and then having all of the houses bought out from under you. It also doesn't really make sense that people in a nearby drugstore wouldn't go to it since it was owned by another landlord.

I guess I've always just explained it away as a player exerting their influence or clout over the people of Carson City. This family's now under the thumb of one of the five most powerful cowboys in town, and so they won't give their business to anyone but him, etc.

Trying to make everything fit into the theme can make the game pretty interesting. For example, the Sheriff is the single worst sheriff to ever exist:

"Sheriff, there's about to be a huge brawl over at the points dispensary! Can't you do something about it?"

"Shaddup, I'm first in line to buy this bank and ain't nobody gettin' it from me."

Or his flipside ability:

"C'mon! Fight me! Shoot me in the head, I dare ya!"

"Uhh, no, Sheriff. You'll just arrest me."

"No I won't, I swears it! I just git a buncha points if I get shot in the head is all! Now shoot me like a man!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
It can be frustrating getting a good spot and then having all of the houses bought out from under you.

Don't let that happen, then. The solution to "everyone else is buying houses" isn't to outlaw it, it's to buy houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sneakypete21 wrote:
As I understand it you can't buy houses. Houses are only placed when building another type of building which requires a house.

In the manual page 4, under "Parcel Purchase," it states that:

This parcel may already contain a house or a mountain.

There is a house on a purchased parcel in the picture as well, both here and for "Estate Income."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
dios_et_dios wrote:
It can be frustrating getting a good spot and then having all of the houses bought out from under you.

Don't let that happen, then. The solution to "everyone else is buying houses" isn't to outlaw it, it's to buy houses.

I understand this, but I am asking it if would be interesting if you had to be strategic about where to place houses if you knew everyone could benefit from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would this it is way more strategic to decide if it's worth filling a plot with a house or worth spending cash that could go into VP or another building just to secure an existing house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
sneakypete21 wrote:

There is a house on a purchased parcel in the picture as well, both here and for "Estate Income."

Buying a parcel of land where a house already exists is not the same as buying and placing a house. The only way to place a house is to buy another building that comes with a house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
dios_et_dios wrote:
sneakypete21 wrote:

Buying a parcel of land where a house already exists is not the same as buying and placing a house. The only way to place a house is to buy another building that comes with a house.

Ah, I understand the confusion. I meant buy a parcel that contains a house. I understand that you can't buy a house directly. I edited the OP to be clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
dios_et_dios wrote:
sneakypete21 wrote:

No one is actually talking about buying houses.

I believe it is understood that this is about claiming houses with parcels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
RhodesN7 wrote:
dios_et_dios wrote:
sneakypete21 wrote:

No one is actually talking about buying houses.

I believe it is understood that this is about claiming houses with parcels.

Yes, that is much clearer now that we aren't using the phrase "buying houses"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Armstrong
United States
Bedford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would make the grocer role a lot less useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.