Subject: First turn 15k rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Brown
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Is it ever a good move to spend 15k on the first turn?

I think I can start off by saying that it is generally a terrible move. You get hurt but you also help your opponent a lot. I feel like missing your turn to take 5k makes it hard to win. Even a room that doesn't go with your other rooms will be worth some points.

Now to construct the perfect situation to test this.

Let's say the public goals are food tiles, food area, small rooms and completed rooms. Your private goals are food and 300 rooms.

A 300 food is put up for 15k first turn.

Do you buy it? What if you are 2nd player and will get some money as MB next turn? What if instead of food goals and tile it is an outdoor and you can complete it with just 1 more tile?

If the answer is yes to any of these questions, what is the minimum amount of public and private goals you would need to go ahead and buy it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of factors. Are you the next master builder, which means you should replenish money quicker. Is this a multiplayer game which means you will likely get more money but it needs to last.

I think there are very few, if any, reasons to spend all that money on your first turn. If you don't buy it will another player? Will it really help them? Probably not. Which means it should be around for another chance to buy.

Becoming cash poor for that single building, a condition that can stay for quite a while depending on circumstances, is likely a bad decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad_hoc wrote:

Let's say the public goals are food tiles, food area, small rooms and completed rooms. Your private goals are food and 300 rooms.

A 300 food is put up for 15k first turn.

Do you buy it? What if you are 2nd player and will get some money as MB next turn? What if instead of food goals and tile it is an outdoor and you can complete it with just 1 more tile?

personally i would not buy it. and its more unlikely P3 or P4 would buy it because it means they have to skip their next round. so during next round i would place the room around 8k-10k so either 1)someone buy it and i get reasonable money or 2)i get the tile at more reasonable price

my problem with spending all money during first round is it can give my opponents information about what my private goal is. but with my solution, what i'm doing can be interpreted as clever play because it's reasonable with that setup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brown
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:
personally i would not buy it. and its more unlikely P3 or P4 would buy it because it means they have to skip their next round. so during next round i would place the room around 8k-10k so either 1)someone buy it and i get reasonable money or 2)i get the tile at more reasonable price

Yes, I think 15k is just out of reach during most turns of the game. Even 10k is a lot. I think it is much better to spend it as MB as then I'm not giving a big windfall to another player.

I know a player who will spend whatever is necessary to get tiles that match their goals. While it was clear to me that this is disastrous play (In a 3p give 15k to one player and no money to the next player you might as well call that game on the first turn) I wondered if there was a corner case where it might be good.

I think not.

I do think this game has a lot of circumstances where 2 players help each other out. The money being added to the tiles creates interesting situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Fjeld
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad_hoc wrote:
I think it is much better to spend it as MB as then I'm not giving a big windfall to another player.

A lot of players make this mistake. In recent game I was handed 30.000 from a player on a spending spree. Being close to the end, and holding the 5.000 bonus card, I was suddenly in a commanding position.

The scenario you describe, encapsulate the classic fallacy of playing up to goals and goal cards. The first rooms you build that qualify you for a goal, will be worth some extra points. However, if you lock yourself in a stalemate, your onesided focus will not add any significant value to new rooms. It's a true art to settle for second place and divert resources to other projects. A lot players go down due to these kinds of battles, while I sit calm on the sideline to pick up bargains they leave behind and complete awesome combos.

CoMKL is a highly dynamic and tactical game. Goals are valuable, but in the analysis you fail to consider the true value of any cheaper room. They might give more bang-for-the-buck than you give them credit for. Whenever I pick up a room I calculate the face-up points (I include points from my personal goal cards if they match) to price. Then I asses their synergy potential. Lastly I consider what I will not buy and leave to my opponents. Only after making these calculations, I check how the room might aid my end game scoring potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.