Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Bosley
Canada
Aldergrove
BC
flag msg tools
And next up was a relatively recent E-bay acquisition of mine, Daytona 500, by Wolfgang Kramer. Many of us in the group have played Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix before, but this was the first time for Daytona 500.

Daytona 500 came out in 1990. Detroit-Cleveland came out in 1996. Both use the same basic system (auctioning off cars, and then moving both your own and your opponents’ cars by use of the cards you have been dealt).

There are two big differences in the two games, however. I find that I do like both games. Variations on a theme.

The first big difference is the track itself. It’s basically a triangular kind of oval, and it’s 3 lanes wide except in the long corners. And these corners are very interesting.

The corners are 2 lanes wide - but you are only allowed to finish a car’s move in the inside lane. You may never finish a turn with a car in that outside lane. The outside lane (which has 2 spaces for every one space on the inside lane) can ONLY be used for passing another car in the inside lane. If a car doesn’t have enough movement points to completely pass a car and pull back into the inside lane, then it can’t pass the car at all - it must instead stay behind the car ahead. And thus waste some of its precious movement points.

So there is a lot of jockeying and blocking going on in those corner lanes. If you can get ahead, you can force other cars to use up their movement points in order to pass you. Which might leave you enough points to finish in first at the end of the race.

The 2nd big difference is drafting. Daytona 500 has it. Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix doesn’t.

Basically, anytime a car is bumper to bumper with another car, when the car in front moves (however many spaces it moves), the car (or cars if there are a number of bumper to bumper cars behind) all move one space forward for free. So it will often pay to finish up a turn directly behind another player, because when they move, you will get a free one-space move.

I took good advantage of this in one of the races. I basically made it through the first corner by drafting other cars. When my turn came, I played cards that didn’t move my car. But when the other cars moved, I drafted behind. And with the cars all in a row, and taking turns passing and then getting all bumper to bumper again, I got through the turn without having to waste any of my car’s movement points by passing. Then I powered forward and eventually won the race.

I didn’t write down the individual race scores or finishes (we played 3 races), so all I have are the final scores:

Dan - $870,000 (winner)
Keith - $610,000
Sean - $500,000
Yahu - $420,000

I also got some great deals in the car auctions, and got some of my race-cars pretty darn cheap.

This game is just plain fun. I like it.

Ratings:
Dan - 8
Sean - 8
Keith - 7
Yahu - was in the pits, so we failed to get a rating from him......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.