Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Was surprised there isn't a thread addressing solo play yet...was looking at this as a possibility for a solo play game: how does it work with one? The only co-op I've played solo was Castle Panic; how does this compare?

Thanks for any info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You basically have to control multiple samurai; I usually control 3 and it works reasonably well, there wasn't so much to keep track to cause it to become fiddly. I've tried controlling all 7 before and I end up making some really dumb mistakes but then since I usually don't get to play the game with that many it helped me better see how the samurai powers combo off each other. Sorry I've never played Castle Panic so can't compare this game to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shortt
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game solo. I have found that for me using 4 or more samurai is the best way to play. Under 4 samurai you start to loose the combos and its not as fun. I have won 1 out of 3 games using 4 samurai and have not won any with 3 or less.
The game is manageable with 4 samurai as a solo game, but I feel with any more than that I start to make mistakes.
So for me 4 is the magic number playing solo.And it is pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeah would definitely recommend playing with more than 3 samurai if you can manage it, I just lose track of stuff easily blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Chris here, in that I will never play this game with less than 4 Samurai. With only 3 Samurai (or even the 2-Player variant), I feel like the potential for interaction and overall synergy level is rather low, with fewer opportunities to chain off of each other's talents.

I often play this solo with 4 Samurai, and find it quite enjoyable. I would recommend having at least one Samurai who is able to pass cards (Heihachi or Dasuke) and at least one Samurai who has Raider immunity (Gorobei or Kanbei) in order to have a balanced party. Our first three games of this was with 3 Samurai and neither of the classes I just mentioned, and we totally got creamed in the first round each time.

Also like Chris, I have never played Castle Panic solo, so I can't really give you a basis for comparison there. However, I will say that I have found that it more satisfying to play Solo vs. controlling only 1 Samurai in a large multiplayer game.

I think it has to do in part with the increased level of engagement, as I have multiple decisions to make as opposed to just taking one action, then waiting for my turn again. Similarly, I have also found it quite enjoyable controlling multiple Samurai in a 3 player game, where we each had 2 Samurai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, for your replies-- that gives me a good idea of how the game is played. So, it's similar to Elder Sign in that you have multiple characters you're playing. I think I can handle that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Castle Panic solo, and now Samurai Spirit. Both are fun solo games, but I prefer Samurai Spirit.

I enjoy playing with other players when playing Castle Panic. I like sharing cards and I feel there is more teamwork and tension.

Samurai Spirit feel like a great easy-setup card game.

Both are great, but I prefer Samurai Spirit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're still on the fence, I just got this and have been playing solo. It's great. Hard as crap, but really good. It actually reminds me of the solo game Friday, but with a lot more going on and a much better theme. It's good for solo play because, even though you have to control multiple characters, it is still very easy to keep track of what's going on. It doesn't suffer from Sentinels of the Multiverse syndrome where you have a thousand modifiers to keep track of. In fact, each player's turn is so simple that I don't know how enjoyable this would be with other people. Seems like it might actually be more fun solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd agree with Aaron actually, I've wondered if it could be that fun for a group when it's literally one decision/action a go?

Anyone had any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
richlush wrote:
I'd agree with Aaron actually, I've wondered if it could be that fun for a group when it's literally one decision/action a go?

Anyone had any thoughts on this?

I think the fun of the game for a group is planning out your strategy (as if you were solo, basically), and bouncing ideas off each other. Unfortunately, that doesn't work if there is anyone who comes close to being an alpha gamer in the group, as they'll just do all the work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai Spirit also plays much faster than Castle Panic and sets up much faster. I think Castle Panic is less complex and easier for younger players. They are vastly different games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit of a thread necro here, but I just got the game. I really enjoy it solo. I tried it with three and it was a challenging loss...but not so bad a loss that made me think I would never be able to beat it using three. I will try it with four because as stated, the game won't be so fiddly that it will be hard to keep track of everything. The main reason I want to try more than three is that I want to try it without the option to use any of the talents of the unused samurais once per game. I thought about trying a full game (or 5 or 6 even) but that may get out of control. As it is, I really enjoy this game solo. I also did a two player game which was another close loss, and the two of us decided we might try controlling two samurais each next time. At any rate, I love this game and personally think it's underrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.