Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Roll The Dice bordspelvereniging Veldhoven - http://www.rollthedice.nl
badge
I like playing Descent: Journeys in the Dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I have searched for a more detailed explanation of the rules, but couldn't find it. The rules card is very unclear. Does someone has a clue how to play this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is very similar to Hearts/Spades in that there are 5 suits of cards, numbered from 1-20 (I have only seen cards as high as 17, so I can't confirm this). You shuffle whatever cards you have from the people playing and deal them out as evenly as possible (setting aside the remainder). The dealer begins by playing his/her highest-rank card to start the first trick. Players must follow suit if possible. After all players have played a card, the player who played the lowest-ranked card of the suit that was led (or a Monster, which is trump), wins the trick and scores all of the cards in that trick. He/she then leads on the next trick.

At this point, it seems like a standard game of Hearts/Spades, excepting that each card has a point value that is dependent upon the suit of the card:

Ninja: Card is worth as many points as its rank.
Pirate: Card is worth as many negative points as its rank.
Monkey: Card is worth 1 point.
Robot: Card is worth -1 point.
Monster: Varies.

Therefore, tricks vary in "value" based on what gets placed on them. Ninja tricks are very desirable while Pirates are not. Even if you can't win a trick, you may be able to affect its worth by playing a really bad card out of suit.

Monster cards, besides being trump, have individual special effects depending on the rank. Some examples:

17 of Monsters: Can be played on a Pirate trick even if you have a Pirate. Worth -1.
3 of Monsters: Cancel all other Monsters played so far on the trick.
1 of Monsters(The best card possible): You may trash talk when you play this card.

Players begin the game with 100 points, and either are out of the game when they reach 0, or win when they reach 200.

So, while the game might be designed to play with any collection of the cards, it would be excellent to collect the entire set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
Monsters range from 1-20, everything else is 1-10. I use 2 of each rank except for the monsters, I only use one of each (100 cards total). The game works well with 4 players each starting with 25 cards, playing with 2 is kinda long and boring.Usually we start at zero, and when the last hand is played we see whom has the most points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.