Popular Tags: [View All]
David Landry
Canada
St Lazare
QC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My box is sitting on the corner of my desk, un-punched and poking me in the ribs...

So Rahdo raved heavy on this last year, now I get to validate this praise.

So... has anyone out there played the printed copy yet?

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to unpack it and hopefully play it this weekend. I wanted to store all of the bits in an organized Plano box, but the ones I have are slightly too big for the game box so I ordered more that should arrive by Friday.

For now I've only played the game in its online demo form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no delivery yet but as the boat left Felixstowe about 5 days ago it shouldn't be too long now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for my copy to arrive here in Denmark. Looking forward to trying out the solo game to go over the rules once it gets here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for the game to arrive here in Spain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Lovell
United States
Edgewood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
Going to unpack it and hopefully play it this weekend. I wanted to store all of the bits in an organized Plano box, but the ones I have are slightly too big for the game box so I ordered more that should arrive by Friday.

What box did you get for this? I don't have my copy yet but I definitely don't want to have everything sitting in bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
tehgr8supa wrote:
Jotora wrote:

What box did you get for this? I don't have my copy yet but I definitely don't want to have everything sitting in bags.
I have one of these already, so I know two will fit, but I was hoping for a single box with more compartments:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0010XCSF6?psc=1&redirect=tr...

So I got a couple of these as well, and I believe one will fit inside the box. Whether or not there will then be room for all of the cards, boards, and mine tiles is another question.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000E39T4Q?psc=1&redirect=tr...

It only comes with 4 dividers, but I'm hoping the extras I have for my 3600 boxes will fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting. Stupid LA dock worker strike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Lovell
United States
Edgewood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Still waiting. Stupid LA dock worker strike!

Well it looks like we're past that hurdle now. Last thing Isaac said was that the games made it to Chicago, and are being sent to an Amazon fulfillment center somewhere in the midwest. He pegged US games getting out by the end of the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing in the UK yet. Still waiting....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is the post office, tomorroe it arrives (on my friends house...)

so next month I can play it angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine last Saturday (5 days ago). I ditched the insert, bagged the cards, tokens, resources and got it all in.
Still need to get it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got mine today, will try to get in a game or two on the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dugger
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played it once last night (normal game) and again tonight (Epic game).

Both the wife and I enjoy it, watched Rahdos review after playing it the first time and noticed several mistakes I made.

I found the normal game to be far too short for me, plus the cards for the epic game are much cooler and interesting. Not sure if I am making my money correctly however as we were both always short of money and as such missing most of the cards and as such the quests.

One overseer move/round feels really restricting, however both the wife and I were playing fairly conservatively and as such rarely had the option to take the other players workers. This negatively affects how we would manage to gather resources and as such rarely had the needed resources to make the weapons to send people out of quests.

The marketplace is cool, but like I said, so short on money, half way into the epic game most of the cards I would flip we would laugh at because we never had the money to get them.

The quests are very cool, I like how the cards look and how they take multiple legs as well as how the difficulty increases. However, just like money, we were constantly sort on resources as later quests, neither of us would pick them because we simply didn't have the materials. I also don't like how once you complete a quest, all the weapons you made for that quest are discarded, makes it really hard to take later quests since you are always scraping for materials. I would prefer an upkeep method perhaps in order to keep certain weapons, perhaps pay the most expensive material or two in order to keep the weapon (thematically it would be repaired/sharpened in the forge).

Those negatives aside however, I REALLY enjoyed this game and so did my wife. My buddy is coming over tomorrow and I can't wait to play it with him as well.

P.S. I was missing a cube from each of my 4 colours. The book says you should have 7 but I got 6. That said, I haven't come close to using more then 4-5 so I'm not really concerned.

Overall: Can't wait to play again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your initial impressions about the game Sean. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my copy.

Just to ease your mind about the cube count, Isaac sent an update concerning the fact that there are 6 in the box instead of 7. This is intentional and you have the correct number.

Isaac's Update #53 wrote:
Oh, and one more very important point on replacement parts: there are only 6 claim cubes of each player color in the box. This is as intended. For some reason when I was communicating information to Josh for the rule book, I told him 7. So that is what is in the rule book, but it is a typo. 6 should be plenty to play the game. Josh has uploaded a new version of the rules on Board Game Geek with this change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, yeah, the two-player game can be a bit rough if both players are playing conservatively and trying more to block the other out of resources instead of working together to get more resources. Then less resources means less quests, which means less money and you can definitely get into a cycle of famine. In a 3 or 4 player game, this should be less of a issue.

I'd definitely recommend opening up your play style in the mine. It can still be very competitive in the mine when you allow your opponent the chance to jump over your workers, as the move your opponent makes to do so usually yields better moves for you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb

Got my copy delivered today, yet to delve into it. Came in mint condition though, no issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Acton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our my first normal game with my son; we both really enjoyed it. A game round plays much faster than I expected even on our first game, and I agree with DiggityDog that the normal game left us wanting more so we can't wait for an Epic game. The mine has a good "take that" interaction but you definitely need to think ahead to what resources you are going to need. Also similar to DiggityDog we found money is tight, so watch your coppers if you want to go to market.

Very happy with game play and overall quality (although I notice some discolouring on the bottom white sections of the market cards)

Nice work Isaac!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a solo normal game this Sunday morning and achieved a score of 134.

This is simply, a fantastic game: congratz and thanks, Isaac!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Really good game. Played a bunch of solo games but haven't won yet. Keep failing on about my third or fourth quest because I am rubbish at board games. But it's a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a solo game - wrong, of course.
I was leveling the adventurers after each complete leg of the quest instead of at the end of the quest itself.
AND acquiring the Prestige points at the end of the leg in addition to the completed quest points.

I enjoyed the game nonetheless.
I'll just try playing by the rules next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renzy Horrie
Belgium
Roeselare
W-VL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just arrived today in Belgium.
Need to wait till the weekend to test it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrived today in sunny Ireland. Looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggityDog wrote:

The marketplace is cool, but like I said, so short on money, half way into the epic game most of the cards I would flip we would laugh at because we never had the money to get them.

I had my first play yesterday and, me and my wife, had exactly the same reaction as you and your wife.

Actually, we thought we were playing some rule wrong (which I realized later we didn't) or maybe we were too much stupid! LOL

The game seems so tight with 2 players!

Anyway, I still had a great time and can't wait to play again, too. However, I think I will go with the fast forward variant to check if the thing gets easier at the castle...

BTW: the components are awesome! I was worried mainly about the heros (after watch Rahdo's videos) but the final product is beautiful! No complains!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Coney
United Kingdom
Retford
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boat docked in Felixstowe at lunch time on 12th March - still no sign of the game up in Nottinghamshire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.