Subject: GT2 Tactical Surprise Scenario slightly modified rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Turn 2: Clear Weather.

“Alright Jack we lost the city of Gimpo. Is there any good news?” asks the General.

“Well sir, not really. We did slow down the DPRK advance by inflicting a decent amount of losses on their forward Corps (this turn is contested; DPRK gained 28 VP’s and the ROK 25 last turn). However, we are still in a precarious spot. Our supply situation is good. The only unit on the DPRK side that is out of supply is the isolated infantry division behind the ROK’s I Corps lines. So, the good news is the DPRK II Corps has ceased to exist as a fighting force, the bad news is the Chinese are coming” states Jack.

“OK Jack let’s get the briefing going, we are all here” says the General.

“Yes Sir. Our Electronic detection assets detected the PYG and 425 HQ’s while the ROK 1Army HQ was detected. We again didn’t fly any strikes to attack the HQ’s as the air defenses are still too great. The air battles over the last few days were completely one sided. We destroyed six DPRK air units and aborted five more. However, almost all of the losses were from the DPRK’s ancient F-5 aircraft. One of our F-15C’s was aborted; three of the ROK’s KF-16’s and an F-35 were also aborted. We now have contested the airspace over Korea. Our AWAC’s level is still at 1.

“Both sides Special Forces went after Detection assets. The ROK Air Detection grid is at 1 sir. We were able to reduce the DPRK’s by 20% but they still have the air defense advantage in their country and over their troops. We did eliminate three DPRK special ops groups while two of our US groups did not return.

“The north hit three airbases with SCUD missiles, destroying Suwon Airbase. We lost another airmobile asset to that attack. The Carrier Group launched a cruise missile strike against the DPRK’s beachhead but again no damage was caused. Three North Korean air strikes caused strike 1 results against the 2/I Armor Brigade, 26/VI Mechanized Division, and 22/VIII Infantry Division. Those first two strikes were alarming as they are right in front of the main DPRK Mechanized units north of Uijeongbu. B-2A stealth bombers finally connected against the beachhead causing serious damage (strike 2) while B-52’s missed the DPRK 46/I Infantry Division in hex 4016.

“DPRK forces moved to attack along the east coast, north of Uijeongbu, and to try to free their isolated division. Additional Light Infantry units moved in Gimpo to take the city. Four major attacks were launched by the North Koreans. We did stop all of the attacks but sustained damage in each. The DPRK II and III Corps with artillery, CAS, and helo support attacked elements of the I Corps in hex 2819. No ground was lost but each side took losses. The PYG and 815 Mech Corps, with three artillery brigades in support, hit the ROK 6/I Infantry division. Again no ground was lost but each side took losses. The 820 Armor Corps, with helo, CAS, and five artillery brigades in support, reduced the 5/VI Infantry division and forced the 26/VI Mech Division to retreat. Finally along the east coast the 108 and I Corps attacked the VIII Corps in their DMZ defenses. No ground was lost but losses have mounted for the three eastern corps.

“In reaction to these attacks we landed the ROK 1/2Marine Division in Ganghyeon to bolster the eastern defenses. We also withdrew the eastern defenses to try to gain time to mobilize reinforcements. The CAP and VII Corps moved to assault Gimpo. We conducted three attacks. The 20/VIII Mech Division finally overran the DPRK beachhead. That division will be available for commitment to the main battle area. The CAP Corps, CAP/VII Mech Division, and 1/82 Brigade attacked Gimpo but again could only destroy two of the three Light infantry units clearing the city. Finally, the ROK I Corps with assistance from the 2ID were able to destroy the DPRK’s II Corps HQ and a reduced infantry division. With this attack the DPRK 8/II Division was still cut off and finally surrendered.

“In closing the local forces in the city of Gimpo could not hold out against the DPRK Light Infantry Brigade and the city was captured. We feel it will be very difficult for the DPRK light forces to hold that city for long. Intelligence feels these attacks by the DPRK Light Infantry troops are simply to draw off two ROK Corps from the main fighting. I will mention that it has worked perfectly so far sir. Also, a large contingent of PRC aircraft has moved into forward bases in China and North Korea. I think the next few days will be interesting” finished Jack.

“Well it looks like we gained some breathing room this turn. The North Koreans have taken a bit of a beating and we have the initiative on the ground for the next few days. Now if we can just get a little bit of good luck in the air….” mumbles the General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome read!

Just been playing something very similar with some of the 'Realism' changes by Mitch.

The Northern offensive got three quarter around Seoul, and around 15-20 hexes south in the middle and east, but then everything grinds to a halt when every attack is met by CAS with a drm of +5 around turn 5...
Forces are now contracting, waiting for the PRC to arrive, and getting into a solid position inside the ROK territory, hoping for the best.

I found that SOF + SCUDS means that there is hardly any base or airfield left in the south that is not destroyed. Rebuilding seems pointless, as it gets hammered straight away anyway...
All the helis are in parks and on playgrounds in cities in the meanwhile. Well, I mean of course only those that don;t get constantly blown up by SOFs....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Henrik.

Yes, the North Koreans have a small window of opportunity in this game. My hope was to make it a bit larger with rules tweaks and have the game go a bit longer. I rebuild the airbases to base the medium range air units for air superiority. I'm hoping it is the right thing to do and not a waste of good aircraft.

I hope to complete turn 3 in the next couple days.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.