Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Sunday, my brother-in-law came over after dinner to play a game of TtR:E. He hadn't played it before, but we know he's good for a game. (He has previously played Settlers, Axis and Allies, and Risk:2210AD, among others.)

It didn't take very long to explain the rules, although it turned out that I forgot one minor detail about the card drawing - you can draw one card blind, then draw your second card from the faceup pile. A minor point, and I missed it because I've never drawn cards in that manner.

I drew destination cards of Kobenhaven:Erzurum (21), Kievetrograd (6), and Budapest: Sofia (5). I threw out another one on Europe's west coast. I found a lot of yellows and locomotives at the start of the game, and started strong, with The Tunnel (Petrograd:Stockholm). Wendy (blue) and Brett (black) started with minor routes in the middle of the continent, and their competition left me mostly unfettered. Luckily, nobody placed a "spite route" to block me off. I've done that once, placing a train on the Budapest:Wien route just to force a station and a break in the longest roa...er, European express.

After filling out my routes, I realized that I could fill in the Erzurum:Sofia route and have one long train route. (The Petrograd:Kiev indent being required since I could not find any white cards anywhere in the game!)

I found out at the end that Brett (black) had the Edinburgh:Athena route and Wendy had Madrid: Danzig? (I can't remember, but she did get it.) Brett had to use a station, and as you can see, I did not.

At the end, I was ready to place a final track from KobenHaven to Essen, putting all my trains in a row. I had two green cards left in my hand, and there was a locomotive on the faceup stack. Unfortunately, Brett (black) placed enough trains to start the endgame. I had to place two trains wherever I could play them. I still got 42 for the European Express, which secured the win. There's probably a joke somewhere about red trains and communists, but I can't think of a good one.

While were were scoring, Brett asked if the numbers on the cards were the length of the routes. We realized that the numbers represent the shortest possible distance between the two points. Neither Wendy or I had noticed that before. Doh.

The final score was Red (me) with 124, Black (Brett) with 111, and Blue (Wendy) with 107. There's a photo of the end of the game here:

Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.