Justin Robbins

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
I mean the video game series. Take your pick on the best one (for me it's IV).

I know comparing the two may seem odd, but Civilization is a turn-based game which I own and love, so how does Through the Ages compare with it? I'm considering buying it, so I would love your opinions.

I'm also a history buff who loves theme (but it isn't necessarily a deal breaker).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no map so expansion is abstracted into colonies and military is abstracted into an overall strength, no moving of units or anything like that. I love TtA and I Civ 4 is my favourite game ever, but they are not terribly similar.

Try and find someone already familiar with it to explain the rules etc for your first game - also a 2 player game means that military is VERY zero-sum so 3 is probably the sweet spot for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think TtA is the superior game, but if you are looking for something to replicate Sid Meier's Civilization how about ... Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robbins

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
MyParadox wrote:
I think TtA is the superior game, but if you are looking for something to replicate Sid Meier's Civilization how about ... Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game?

Well I'm not looking for a replication, quite the opposite. I was looking for a different but still very good civilization game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is a wonderful and innovative game that's nothing like anything else, even though it does draw thematic elements from the video game. If you like new and different games, I highly recommend it. It's one of my 10's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hunnicutt
United States
Arden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could always try one of the free online versions. I normally have at least one game going on boardgamearena.com.

Sorry. I'd link that but I'm on a phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtA is an awesome game and a great civ builder, I'd recommend checking out the Rahdo runthrough to see how it plays: [url]https://boardgamegeek.com/video/32812/through-ages-story-civ... [/url]

If you're looking for something a bit less abstract, I highly recommend Clash of Cultures. It doesn't really get out of the Medieval era, but it has a cool tech tree, awesome city building and a nice sense of exploration and world building. Also, the Civilizations expansion adds 14 unique factions similar to Civ IV - check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages is an awesome civ builder and possibly the best strategy game out there.
But you must play it several times to really understand how the civil part works as a whole, how military actions can influence your decisions and what a great source of fun the political events can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff MacDonald
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you don't mind taking a suggestion......look at The Golden Ages. I recently played this one and loved it. I have played every Civilization game created.

The Golden Ages gives the feel of Civilization but without being epic. Our Four Player game with all of us being newbies to it, only took slightly over two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m_jeff wrote:

The Golden Ages gives the feel of Civilization but without being epic. Our Four Player game with all of us being newbies to it, only took slightly over two hours.

It sounds like the opposite of what I require in a Civ game then - long and epic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.