Subject: AvX... The Most Imposible game I've ever played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea: I loved the recent Avengers vs. X-Men series and decided for my group's recent game I'd build a custom game surrounding that scenario, as best I could.

Setup:
We were 3 players that night,
Mastermind: Professor X
Scheme: Super Hero Civil War

Villans: X-Men First Class; Uncanny X-Men; Brotherhood
Henchmen: Multiple Man

Heroes: Black Widow; Captain America; Hawkeye; Iron Man; Thor

Justification: Super Hero Civil War was the closest Scheme that fit this scenario, and Professor X was the only Mastermind we could take as there was really no valid Avengers Commander (Nick Fury is from SHIELD, no arguing )

Magneto and some of the Brotherhood did participate in the AvX war, so it is valid adding them, and Multiple Man is an X-Man.

As for the Heroes, we had to choose 5 out of 6 available Avengers, we chose Black Widow over Hulk simply because we felt Hulk would make the game too easy and we had never played with Black Widow before.

Results: The game was a catastrophic failure, lol. The X-Men won within 20 minutes, we were all in awe and dumbfounded.

Explanation of our downfall:
First of all, we insanely stacked the deck against ourselves without realizing it. Professor X's Command Strike, Scheme Twist effect, Beast's Fight move, Multiple Man's Fight effect, Juggernaught's Ambush move & Mystique's Escape move all essentially forcing us to KO a plethora of Heroes.

Add to that the X-Treme Attack of both Uncanny X-Men & X-Men First class, making it near impossible to attack any of the incoming "Villains".

Also The Blob was impossible to fight as we had absolutely no X-Men in our Heroes deck.

In the end, we also discovered that adding Black Widow was a really bad idea. Due to a problem I'll explain further down, Black Widow was unable to use most of her power which are heavily dependant on bystanders, as a result she added little or nothing to the game.

Despite all of this, our biggest downfall was my 'assistant'. We have a very open and sharing group, and everyone pitches in setting up the game. Once everything was ready, I shuffled the Heroes deck and my brother-in-law shuffled the Villains deck. Unfortunately, he did a poor job of it... right out of the gate we drew 3 Multiple Man cards, followed by 4 Scheme Twists followed by 3 Master Strikes. We then drew 5 Uncanny X-Men pretty buffing them all up by +4.

As I said, the game was over in 20 minutes, a bunch of X-Men escaped, Professor X had not been hit once, and the Villain deck was plenty full. But, we are not the sort to give up easily. We reset the game, I shuffled the decks properly this time and I issued a GM edict by reconfiguring the game as follows:

Mastermind: Professor X
Scheme: Super Hero Civil War

Villans: X-Men First Class; Uncanny X-Men; Brotherhood
Henchmen: Savage Land Mutates Multiple Man

Heroes: Black Widow; Captain America; Hawkeye; Iron Man; Thor added Hulk and Spider-Man

We still lost, but it took a lot longer and we were just on the verge of winning. Professor X had just 1 Tactic card left, only 2 X-Men had escaped and the Villain deck was fairly well worn down.

We played a 3rd game, but I completely forget what the setup was. We did win that one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's why I love this game. The whole compatibility of all the sets makes stuff like this possible. Thanks for the write-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
we actually tried avenger vs xmen and bloody hell. that X-treme attack stacks up really fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Xavier
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Did this set up myself, but in reverse, still difficult, have the Avengers in the city and with the Hulk nuff said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This sounded like a good few games. I love how frustrating it can get when you don't quite beat the mastermind or when you its a difficult win. We always use final blow now and even if I haven't beaten the mastermind that many times (or any) it makes me feel satisfied when someone (mostly me)takes that final card.

This is set up is reason I would consider getting the villains game as I'd prefer playing the hero vs hero aspect rather than the main villain vs hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capture Baby Hope? Would that be a more thematic Scheme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Capture Baby Hope? Would that be a more thematic Scheme?

Yeah I considered Capture Baby Hope, also X-Cutioner's Song and adding Jean Greay into the Villain Deck, or Transform Citizens into Demons which already has Jean Grey in it. A couple more crossed my mind, but for the storyline, the only one that really made sense at the time was Super Hero Civil War.

chrlexavier wrote:
Did this set up myself, but in reverse, still difficult, have the Avengers in the city and with the Hulk nuff said

Who did you use as the Mastermind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.