Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » General

Subject: Choosing Investigators? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious what methods players are using to choose investigators. The rulebook for base Elder Sign states to deal out investigators randomly, but offers the option to pick investigators if everyone agrees. I have split the difference and have been shuffling out 3 choices for investigator for each investigator being played in the game. I do this after the ancient one has been chosen, so players can factor it into their decision. Most investigator decisions are made based on the strongest perceived investigator, but when playing multiple characters when soloing I typically pick one or two that I havent been or just like, even if they are not the strongest available.

I know the choice of investigators can make a difference in outcomes (they are NOT all created equal!), and would love to know what methods fellow gamers are using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always choose randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For base Elder Sign, I tend to like the pick 3 choose method best, or I just choose someone I haven't played in a while. If someone wants to play a particular character, I don't have a problem.

With Gates of Arkham, you're likely to get a good challenge even if you handpick your investigators. There's no shame in picking your dream team for the new Yog Sothoth, because it's extremely likely you will get devoured no matter who you pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
I always go random, with special rules: never pick up an investigator you already used unless a complete rotation of investigators is done. In my sick head, I want to be good enough to win every game I play with any investigator combo. If a particular combo is defeated, I repeat the game until I win. This actually helped me a lot in going deeper with what the actual possibilities of the different characters are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, whatever we feel like. Usually we deal two to each player and let them choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play with my dream team and pick 3 out of 5 favorites.

I always feel uncomfortable when not being able to have the usual investigators.

I will change that for Eldritch Horror though as the advantages are different in that game.

Still didn't bought the Arkham expansion as I need to down the last 2 Elders on my list.

27 plays in 3 months tells much how I love this game without even the latest expansion...

This, Eldritch Horror and Legendary Marvel Heroes/Villains are my most loved games atm. I just wish Mansions of Madness could be played more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fifth
United States
flag msg tools
Count me in as another fan of deal 2, pick 1 when playing with others. We make our choices independently and before revealing the AO, affording us some agency while allowing for some interesting setups (for instance, Cthulhu just loves to show up against our 7/3s and 3/7s). We'll also remove victorious investigators from the rotation so that eventually even the usual castoffs get a fair shake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random makes it more interesting and adds replay-ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
When we get a new expansion we always use the new characters for several games, but after that we prefer full random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, we've chosen randomly. I've also dropped the "pick a replacement when your character dies" rule. The game is more nerve reckoning and it forces you to be more invested in your character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAURICIO FLORES
Bolivia
centereach
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We deal 3 investigators to each players, and then each player chooses one from the three. This way yo have some choice of who you like more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.