Hide
4 Posts

Zombicide: Toxic City Mall» Forums » General

Subject: Hot water re-positioning poses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R S
msg tools
I really like the look of this expansion and the Zombicide miniatures as a whole. One thing that slightly puts me off, however, is the duplicate poses of the various minis - especially the fatties (since they are so big and have a lot of presence compared to a lowly walker). Even though I plan to paint them and giving them some variety, I really want to have at least the arms in different positions.

Cutting, gluing, and adding modeling putty is an option and takes a bit of effort which I certainly am still considering doing for some of them. Another alternative which I read about is to heat them up in near-boiling water, hold the now softened plastic in the desired position, and submerge it in cold water. I decided to give it a try with some of the toxic zombies (figured even if I melted one a bit, it would just look all that more mutated... ).

Anyway, the results came out pretty well I think - at least for the amount of effort put in. I am, however, curious if the plastic will eventually go back to the original shape. If the miniature is put back into the near-boiling water it springs back to its original mold-memory form. Does anyone have any experience with this method and know if the miniature will go back to its form on its own over time at room temperature or if left in the sun or hot vehicle? Putting the effort into painting them and having it peel off because the plastic has reformed under it would be kind of a bummer...

It isn't a great photo, but you can get some idea of the modifications:

Thanks for any info you can provide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The method is usually suggested to get mis-shapened (from packing) minis back into their original mold memory form, so any effort you put into making new poses should probably erode over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That it a great idea!! I would defiantly try it out...

2 questions, I see that you posted this a few months ago, how are the new poses holding up?

Also, I am afraid of ruining the detail on the miniatures, like squishing the close and making them more flat. Or flattening a zombies face, and getting rid of its details. Did you have a problem with this?

Still really cool idea!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
msg tools
Hi there! Sorry for the delayed reply - I'm not sure how I missed the notification that something was posted in this thread...

The hot water technique did seem to work for some of the figures - particularly on ones where the modification was extreme. Unfortunately, the majority slowly reverted back to their original forms. No detail seemed to be lost and they do not seem to be damaged in any way. I'm glad I held off painting them at least.

I've now been modifying them using the old technique of cutting, repositioning, and gluing to change around arm positions. I also used two part epoxy to add different hair styles which really helped give each figure a unique look. I'll post some pictures sometime soon of what I came up with.

It really would have been great to figure out a way to reset the 'mold memory' of the figures. It seems like there should be a way to hit a chemical reset switch or something. The heat modified poses are vastly superior in look and effort compared to traditional methods of modding miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.