Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know BGG doesn't cover games like Rush hour because they are solo solvable puzzles or something like that... but I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for similar games.

Essentially I'm looking for something I can play by myself that is puzzley and I will feel super clever when I solve it.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of puzzles from ThinkFun that are highly regarded. There is a series of Rush Hour cousins: Safari Rush Hour and Railroad Rush Hour are probably the best known. I would also recommend Pete's Pike, River Crossing, and TipOver as well.

The folks at Smart Games have also put out some excellent puzzles in the same sort of style. I have, and can personally recommend, IQ Twist and Subways (which is also known as Metro), and I'm keen to get a copy of Temple Trap as soon as I can find a bargain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite of that style was the one with robots, Lunar Lockout by Binary Arts. Unlike Rush Hour (which I also have) all components store in the base which is convenient.

Can't find it on Amazon so I guess it's no longer available. I always thought it seemed similar to Ricochet Robots, though I never tried the latter so am not sure.

Maybe ThinkFun makes something similar?
ETA - Found a copy on eBay starting @ $3.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, Freedom: The Underground Railroad does a similar thing wonderfully well and is playable solo.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/44961/freedom-undergroun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
My favorite of that style was the one with robots, Lunar Lockout by Binary Arts. Unlike Rush Hour (which I also have) all components store in the base which is convenient.

Can't find it on Amazon so I guess it's no longer available. I always thought it seemed similar to Ricochet Robots, though I never tried the latter so am not sure.

Maybe ThinkFun makes something similar?
ETA - Found a copy on eBay starting @ $3.99.

Pete's Pike is a remake of this. It's also discontinued, though.

I also like Hoppers, which is a peg solitaire puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ricochet Robots and Mephisto.
Robert Abbott's "Mad Mazes" book. Friedman's Folders. Find them via the menu for Bazaar > Geek Store.

I haven't played it, but Stephan Riedel's Old Town (and spin-offs) are well-regarded puzzle-games.

Co-operative games tend to involve risk management more than logic puzzles, but they might be a good category for you to browse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ubongo: Duel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was gonna suggest the Train version as well.

There is a way to play Cities as a solo. and I think also a solo ruleset for Walnut Grove
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hoped for Puzzle Game Geek after the new domains were introduced. Sigh....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this post is ancient history by now, but (in agreement with other posters) there are a lot of such offerings from ThinkFun, Popular Playthings, and Smart Games. I collect a lot of these "multi-challenge solo puzzles" (that's the best way I can explain them.) If you start researching them, there are a LOT of them with a good variety of mechanics and ways to think. Many of them are spacial, but others are more logic and deduction as well.

Once a year in November I set up a challenge for my family to try and complete them all by Christmas.

Some that I own are:

Alcatraz
Back to Back
Block by Block
Brick by Brick
Cannibal Monsters
Chocolate Fix
Color Code
Cover Your Tracks
Gravity Maze
Grid Works
Hoppers
Hot Spot
Laser Maze
Leapin' Lizards
Logic Dots
Metro
Path Words
Pete's Pike
Logic Links
Penguins on Ice
River Crossing
Roundabout
Rush Hour
Serpentiles
Say Cheese
Shape by Shape
ShapeOmetry
Solitaire Chess
Stormy Seas
Subways
Sudoku 5x5
Temple Trap
Tilt
Tip Over
Troy: Outside the Walls
Treasure Quest
Turnstile
Tut's Tablet
Utopia
Vikings Brainstorm

A few of those are out of print, and there are some that I enjoy more than others, but maybe that will help someone looking for such puzzles. I'd love to discuss any individual ones if you have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregorio Morales
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maksum wrote:
I know this post is ancient history by now, but (in agreement with other posters) there are a lot of such offerings from ThinkFun, Popular Playthings, and Smart Games. I collect a lot of these "multi-challenge solo puzzles" (that's the best way I can explain them.) If you start researching them, there are a LOT of them with a good variety of mechanics and ways to think. Many of them are spacial, but others are more logic and deduction as well.

Once a year in November I set up a challenge for my family to try and complete them all by Christmas.

Some that I own are:

Alcatraz
Back to Back
Block by Block
Brick by Brick
Cannibal Monsters
Chocolate Fix
Color Code
Cover Your Tracks
Gravity Maze
Grid Works
Hoppers
Hot Spot
Laser Maze
Leapin' Lizards
Logic Dots
Metro
Path Words
Pete's Pike
Logic Links
Penguins on Ice
River Crossing
Roundabout
Rush Hour
Serpentiles
Say Cheese
Shape by Shape
ShapeOmetry
Solitaire Chess
Stormy Seas
Subways
Sudoku 5x5
Temple Trap
Tilt
Tip Over
Troy: Outside the Walls
Treasure Quest
Turnstile
Tut's Tablet
Utopia
Vikings Brainstorm

A few of those are out of print, and there are some that I enjoy more than others, but maybe that will help someone looking for such puzzles. I'd love to discuss any individual ones if you have any questions.

Is Subways the same as Metroville?it's the only one in your list I don't know about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmoralesor wrote:
Is Subways the same as Metroville?

It sure is. In fact (if I remember correctly), my copy came in a box that said "Subways" (or maybe even "Subway"), while the cards and back of the board are labeled "Metroville".

If I may add a couple of suggestions to maksum's list while I'm typing, I think "Airport" and "Camouflage", both from Smart Games, are fine additions to the collection of anyone who likes these clever multi-challenge puzzles. I was very lucky not so long ago to thrift both of these at the same time!

And that brings to mind a bit of advice to anyone wanting to get into these puzzles, or wanting to acquire more of them -- this entire genre of puzzle is VERY frequently to be found in thrift stores. Of course you can't predict when or which titles you'll find, but there are so many of them!! And I'm pretty confident that other aficionados would agree with me that even the worst of them are worth $2 even if you never finish all the challenges.

I've thrifted so many of these fun puzzles that I keep a list in my Palm Pilot so that I don't buy duplicates, since some of them are saved away to work on at a later time and could easily slip my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family likes Katamino. We picked this up after going through Rush Hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Davies
msg tools
Ah_Pook wrote:

Just bought this game and I love it. I do each puzzle 3 times. The 2nd times are to make sure I didn't fluke it. I have also ordered Babushka by Huch and Friends. Looks really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.