Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madison Hanks
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is this a game that can handle bigger, multi-level game boards? Like if i reuse the scenery from other miniature games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
freddie alston
msg tools
The biggest problem i find with this is the amount of models you move per turn. Even in the book, it suggests increasing the amount of models to activate by 3 or 4 however with games that have over 100 models. It may bog the game down. Perhaps some sort of house rule involving moving a squad per turn instead of a few models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, although it uses true line of sight, there are no rules for multi-level effects, which could cause issues.

Nonetheless, I see no real issue in using miniarures terrain without a grid, and making use of whatever buildings you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's no reason one can't simply ignore multiple levels. That is, when moving, a model can move to any level. For fighting purposes, models on different levels in the same square would be treated as if they are in the same square so can fight each other. LOS would work as it works today. A model on the ground probably can't see the base of a model on the 2nd floor so it would count as being in cover. Likewise a model a level up might have a better chance of seeing the complete model on the ground so might more easily get a bonus.

After all, currently a model can punch out a hovering saucer from the next square over, so the game already significantly simplifies realism in favor of cinematic flavor.

The suggestion to adapt Deadzone cube rules would also work fine. It's up to you and what you want out of the game. Both ways work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem in ignoring levels (and it's a problem with the saucer too) is area effects, explosions, etc. If there's an upper floor, can the men on the lower floor be affected by a Heat ray? Is the floor destroyed? If a card removes a wall from a square, does it remove the upper storey wall too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for activating larger games.

You could always have your force setup in "sections" at the beginning of thegame.

Say, 1/4 of the total points each.

Then each round you move a whole section.

I've done this with games like uncharted seas and it worked well.
Not sure how this would handle it, but it's a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
The problem in ignoring levels (and it's a problem with the saucer too) is area effects, explosions, etc. If there's an upper floor, can the men on the lower floor be affected by a Heat ray?
the heat ray ignores scenery so the answer is yes.
Quote:

Is the floor destroyed?
No, why would it? heat rays ignore scenery. It's the same with any other explosion effects. There's nothing in the rules that say scenery affects them.
Quote:

If a card removes a wall from a square, does it remove the upper storey wall too?

Does it border the space that was affected by the card? then yes.

I don't see the problem. Apply the rules literally. It doesn't matter how high a model is... they are considered to occupy whatever square they are positioned over and are affected by whatever affects that square. It would seem to me to be the simplest way to integrate multi-level scenery such as the intact scenery many of us got with the KS (At least until Mantic comes out with multi-level rules for MA).

Like I said, if you really want to, you can adapt the Deadzone multi-level rules, which is fine also, but will make the game a little more complicated.

Sometimes you have to kind of shut off the physics side of your brain when playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madison Hanks
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
i was just curious if anyone did it. If i figure out new rules i'll post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
I don't see the problem. Apply the rules literally.
Applying the rules in the manner you describe doesn't use 3 dimensions, it just treats the whole thing as 2 dimensional again, which is rather pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not quite totally pointless.

- It allows you to use multilevel scenery.

- You do get some LOS advantage from higher ground.

- Having higher scenery will change tactical decisions. Having a 2 story building in the middle of the play area will certainly vary the tactics used in the scenario. A 2 story building will probably block LOS of even saucers and robots.

I agree, not a lot, but you do retain the simpler MA rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Schultz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine one could just use the Deadzone 3d, rules, as MA is somewhat just a simplified version of it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
It would be cool if they make Mars Attacks + Deadzone more modular.

So it is possible to start with a light version and add later thinnks like the cubes or mission cards.

I'm missing in MA the mission cards they use in Deadzone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.