Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe It's just me, but I think it's kind of misleading to put a carachter on the box and not have the figure in the box. I always defended the ally packs for the first wave, but this feels like a much more obvious money gouge. Let's be honest, Im buying it all anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree (although there will no doubt be a wave of people here shortly to drown out these voices of descent).

There's a discussion over on the FFG forums where I posted the following:

Quote:
My main concern is that the front of the box is JUST Boba Fett. Nothing else.

Quite often (always?) with the Descent expansions they'd show the new heroes fighting/adventuring with the main villain in the background. The main villain would have usually been a massive figure (e.g. Dragon) so the purpose of selling that figure separately seemed justified.

Here, however, Boba is just the same size as a normal hero (I ask, would people prefer 1 hero and Boba or 2 heroes?) plus the box art is ALL Boba Fett. No heroes, no Tusken Raiders. It's as though they don't want the new heroes getting in the way of their marketing message. Basically, "Buy this box because it's BOBA FETT. BOBA FETT!!!". That's what they're trying to say with that box. The reality is "YAY!!! BOBA FETT!!! Oh, he's just a token....". Whether you care about it or not, that feels disingenuous to me.

The upshot is that a lot of people are ultimately going to be disappointed. Sure, a lot of them will quickly get over it and even more will still buy it (even those with clenched fists). However, little by little, the good will towards FFG will slip away and that can't be good; for either us or them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hoisington
United States
flag msg tools
I'm almost sure that Boba Fett is in the game with a token and card(s).
So.....
The "mini" is not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crstphr2 wrote:
I'm almost sure that Boba Fett is in the game with a token and card(s).
So.....
The "mini" is not required.

True you don't need it. Imperial Assault is a miniatures skirmish game tho so it adds so much having the actual figures. I think my issue is that he is so promenantly featured on the box and it comes with a cardboard token instead of his miniature. To me it would be like if the x wing core set had all the cards, bases and templates but no minis. You have to buy those separately. The game would play exactly the same without them, yet I doubt people would be okay with it. FFG has the communities respect, we know we will get a solid product for a fair price. They don't usually milk a product so obviously. I don't know, this just feels different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
The money grab continues.

That is if you do rather good products and have a lot of market power and great marketing and a loyal customer base...

I really hope that AsmodeeDaysOfWonderFantasyFlightGames aka ADoWFFG will get some more competition in future.

And yes, I will get it as well. Despite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It seems ridiculous to sell that figure separate when it's the box featured selling point. At best it's misleading.

Now .... that said .... I can't imagine what the price must be on Star Wars game licensing so I suspect self-preservation had at least a little to do with it. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine if the main box had Han and Chewie on the cover, sigh.

I don't mind the price or the villain/ally packs.

Personally I am more excited about the two new heroes then Boba Fett, but it is very annoying that they put Fett on the cover it defiantly feels like bad PR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Patterson
United States
Longview
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a similar forum on fantasy flights website here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/13...

I like seeing Boba on the front as it makes me want to buy the expansion. Having a miniature come in a different box is not that big of a deal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
It seems ridiculous to sell that figure separate when it's the box featured selling point. At best it's misleading.

Now .... that said .... I can't imagine what the price must be on Star Wars game licensing so I suspect self-preservation had at least a little to do with it. lol

Disney owns it now so we can be glad this wasn't all sold off to friggin parker brothers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I agree. I don't think its cool to feature him and not give a miniature but people are getting so carried away defending and attacking each other. The is BGG, we're family, I like to think we're better than that haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Vader is a villain pack but is on the core box cover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Williams
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:

Maybe that is why they decided to include him in the base game for free. whistle

Maybe if there were enough complaints then they would throw Boba into the expansion. I mean, why don't they just save $$ on the packaging, and add him to the game, then add the cost of the figure and cards to the base expansion? At least it would be a better selling point (IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoMan wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

Maybe that is why they decided to include him in the base game for free. whistle

Maybe if there were enough complaints then they would throw Boba into the expansion. I mean, why don't they just save $$ on the packaging, and add him to the game, then add the cost of the figure and cards to the base expansion? At least it would be a better selling point (IMO).
Better selling point? You're delusional if you don't think that just about everyone is going to buy the expansion AND the Boba Fett villain pack. Separating them was brilliant. I'd be amazed if there is even a 10% higher total units sold between them. I bet that Fett isn't the star of the show and that is why he wasn't included. It will be just like Vader. He only shows up in a few missions, and usually pretty late into it. Putting such an iconic character on the box is just good marketing, like they did with Vader in the base game.

The Luke and Vader packs were included in the base game to give players an idea of what is included in these packs so they didn't have to write thread after thread of "What's in the villain/rebel packs?" and "Is it worth buying the villain/rebel packs?", but frankly that didn't stop them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
killerardvark wrote:
...Separating them was brilliant...

For FFG, yes. For me personally, no way.

It's interesting how fans of a company (which in itself is a very strange concept) will route for that company even at their own financial expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
killerardvark wrote:
...Separating them was brilliant...

For FFG, yes. For me personally, no way.

It's interesting how fans of a company (which in itself is a very strange concept) will route for that company even at their own financial expense.
Oh, I completely agree. I'm poor and love Star Wars which is a bad combination at this moment of gaming. I'm not necessarily routing for FFG, I just find business and marketing to be a fascinating subject. Though I do think the company is doing a great job creating games I enjoy.

I'm a huge Boba Fett fan. Tattoo and everything. Not super excited to have to buy an extra pack, but I'm going to do it anyways. Why? Because Boba Fett, that's why. I'm having a much harder decision with the Royal Guard Champion. I'm really enjoying him in the campaign and would like a figure instead of using a token or a plain royal guard in its place. Just not sure I can justify the price tag for what will amount to just an unpainted figure for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. They are absolutely number 1 when it comes to marketing. When you have people defending you when others are asking for more to be included, your doing something right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an AT-AT on the cover of the Rules Reference Guide.

WHERE'S MY AT-AT MODEL!?!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The at at will be out Q1 2016 in the atat expansion. The figure will be released in Q4 tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
That mini, is purely aesthetic in nature and not necessary anyway. The cover looks bad ass and I'm happy it has Bobba Fett on it.

I don't see the cause for concern at all and in fact find the level of nerd rage I've seen around this topic faintly hilarious.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the skirmish game not require the actual figure for use? That seems more than "purely aesthetic" to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleH wrote:
JonJacob wrote:
That mini, is purely aesthetic in nature and not necessary anyway. The cover looks bad ass and I'm happy it has Bobba Fett on it.

I don't see the cause for concern at all and in fact find the level of nerd rage I've seen around this topic faintly hilarious.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the skirmish game not require the actual figure for use? That seems more than "purely aesthetic" to me.

Nope, you can play skirmish mode without buying the mini-expansions. Everything you need; a token to represent the character and the deployment card are included in the core box, and I'm sure that this will be the case with Twin Shadows as well - there will be tokens and deployment cards for C-3PO, R2-D2, Boba Fett and the stormtrooper commander in the box.

Now, having said that, the character expansions do contains useful command cards and sometimes alternate deployment cards to bring more powerful versions into the game. So, they enhance skirmish mode certainly, but required? Nope.

Although, I haven't looked at the official tournament rules. They might require the miniatures to play in sanctioned events, but those players are going to buy everything anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleH wrote:
JonJacob wrote:

This is correct. For FFG tournaments you need to use the figures. I am sure they don't let you use their "own tokens" for excellent reasons. Not sure what they are...

Of course FFG can't stop you from using tokens in your home game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Bowlby
Canada
Melville
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Options I would have preferred over what they went with:

1) Boba Mini in there, still need to buy separately if you want the cards
2) ALTERNATE Boba sculpt in there, cards seperate
3) Coupon to buy Boba pack at a discount
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Rosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the new expansions are giving more options to the Bounty Hunter faction. The Empire and rebels have SO much more than them. Things are going to the right way.

I was intrigued about RD-D2 and C3-PO cards with dice, and attacks and everything, or am I wrong?

We just need Princess Leia now!! \o/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Rosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 10 squares model? Seems fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am too. Obviously support characters, but still looking forward to what this expansion has to offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.