Hide
6 Posts

The Red Dragon Inn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Compulsive Gamblers Grog question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Froozgooz
msg tools
Myself and a friend of mine are having a discussion. The text on this card states, "Players may ignore this Event to avoid the round of gambling." My friend has taken this to mean that only the person who drew the card could ignore the round. He is saying this because very few other event cards blatantly state that you can ignore it. I pointed out that the word "Players" is plural and that means that anyone could ignore this even to avoid the round of gambling. The fact that they stated that you could ignore the event is merely redundant and doesn't mean anything other than what it says. Can someone please clarify this card for us? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone can ignore it, or else it would say "You."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froozgooz
msg tools
Another question that has come up is he is stating that you do not need to play a card to ignore it sense it does not specifically state that you need to. I am pointing out that you must always play a card to ignore something otherwise everyone would ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I take that to mean that if you can ignore the event (and I think only RDI4 characters can do that), then you don't have to gamble. If it allows you to choose not to gamble, it would be pretty pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gray
United States
Rockvale
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that is a reference to RDI 4 characters (Tara in particular) who have cards that allow them to ignore an "event". RDI 4 comes with a sea event deck, so in that game there were sea events and drink events, and this is simply stating that you can't opt out of the round of gambling normally, but you CAN opt out of the RoG if you have one of the elusive "ignore an event" cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Myself and a friend of mine are having a discussion. The text on this card states, "Players may ignore this Event to avoid the round of gambling." My friend has taken this to mean that only the person who drew the card could ignore the round. He is saying this because very few other event cards blatantly state that you can ignore it. I pointed out that the word "Players" is plural and that means that anyone could ignore this even to avoid the round of gambling. The fact that they stated that you could ignore the event is merely redundant and doesn't mean anything other than what it says. Can someone please clarify this card for us? Thanks!

Any number of players may play cards to ignore Compulsive Gambler's Grog.

Quote:
Another question that has come up is he is stating that you do not need to play a card to ignore it sense it does not specifically state that you need to. I am pointing out that you must always play a card to ignore something otherwise everyone would ignore it.

You do need to play a card. You can ignore CGG as though it were an Event (see Tara RDI4) and you can ignore it with cards that ignore a Round of Gambling (see most other characters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.