Zach May
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
O HELL, ETHER
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many, my hyperspace gate is starting to fray at the point. It's a bit of a bummer, obviously.

I haven't tried contacting FFG for a replacement, but even if I got one, it would just get frayed again. What I want is something more durable. Has anyone seen any custom options? Plastic? 3D-printed maybe?

What other options are there out there for really tricking out my CE game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly what you are asking for (and I'm not sure what you mean by fraying so this suggestion might not work), but I've had good luck with working some white glue into the edge of pieces that are splitting or bunching up at points then clamping them with binder clips until dry (making sure not to have wet glue left touching the binder clips or the top or bottom surfaces of the piece). If you get enough glue in between the layers it will make the point even stronger than it was when new and in the few cases I've done this I can't tell the glued from the unglued pieces.

This might keep you going at least for a while until you find a more tricked out gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make your own custom hyperspace gate, I would suggest you design it like this:

That way, there's no sharp point to get dull. You put the Defensive allies in the area that looks like the letter D, and the Offensive side ships in the area shaped like the letter O.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
If you make your own custom hyperspace gate, I would suggest you design it like this:

That way, there's no sharp point to get dull. You put the Defensive allies in the area that looks like the letter D, and the Offensive side ships in the area shaped like the letter O.

Are you sure that's just not a Leviathan prototype?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I just lightly coated the corners with some model glue and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Ng
Australia
Hawthorn 3122
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Ayanami Rei
mbmbmbmbmb
Dapperghast wrote:
Personally I just lightly coated the corners with some model glue and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

I've done the same and it's working for me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeroichi wrote:
Dapperghast wrote:

I've done the same and it's working for me too.

Hmmm. I have some spare modelling glue at home. I may have to try that. Mine's still in remarkably good shape...and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Frikium
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first got cosmic encounter and I punched the hyperspace gate out of the cardboard 'sprue' the point frayed a little. Noticing this, I found a gluestick and with my finger wiped the glue into the fray and 'glazed' the point of the hyperspace gate. To this day my hyperspace-point remains strong and you wouldn't know from looking at it that the end was reinforced with glue.
funkhauser wrote:
Like many, my hyperspace gate is starting to fray at the point. It's a bit of a bummer, obviously.

I haven't tried contacting FFG for a replacement, but even if I got one, it would just get frayed again. What I want is something more durable. Has anyone seen any custom options? Plastic? 3D-printed maybe?

What other options are there out there for really tricking out my CE game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.