Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I've finally decided to pull this out and play it at the weekend and I've settled on the idea of playing the Classic Game. What credits amount do you all recommend we play to in our first game? 2000 Credits is the amount in the rules but I've heard all kinds of amounts thrown about for new players. What do you recommend?

We will likely be playing 4 Player, or at least 3 Player for sure. Time is not really a factor compared to having the optimal gaming experience with this game for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I have played the classic game, but if you are new to the game, I'd go for 2000 credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
It's been a while since I have played the classic game, but if you are new to the game, I'd go for 2000 credits.

Until you play enough to perhaps have a different opinion, 2000 is the place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with above, 2,000 credits is perfect for your first outing.

For example: if you only played to 1,000 credits, then just as you are getting the rules down and flow of the game - it would be all over, fairly similar with 1,500.
At 2,000 credits you will get a good feel for the game and things should be running smoothly , without the game out staying it's welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, sounds like we'll be sticking to 2,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got it myself and my wife and I have played two classic games so far. First was to 2K and was good to learn with, and that's what I recommend.

For our second we wanted to go a bit longer. My wife wanted the game to be 3000 credits but I convinced her to try 4000.

The larger cap wasn't a big deal given by the time we were at the 3000'ish range in cash and assets it was so easy to make money that the last thousand didn't really take but a few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple TripleCrown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that 2000 is the right number, no matter how much experience you have with the game. When you make the "right" decisions in this game, your advantages tend to increase logarithmically as the game progresses (as you might expect in an "engine building" kind of game). In my experience, raising the credit target seldom changes the outcome of the game that would have occurred at 2000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be interesting (to me) analysis. In what percentage of games that go beyond 2000cr is the winner the same player who first reached 2000cr?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3000 ends up being the "right" point once you've got a good handle on the rules, as that seems to me to be roughly the point where the various ship and engine approaches balance out. With a 2000 limit, it's very hard for a large ship (Transport/Freighter) to pay off its cost before a small ship wins. With a 4000 limit, it's hard for a small ship to keep up with a large ship once the trade routes and space stations are established.

As for "who's leading at 2000" vs "who eventually wins": smaller ships with fewer upgrades are typically leading at any intermediate point; larger ships with more upgrades rely on a steep income curve late. Asking "who would win if we stopped early", if the stated plan is to actually stop later, is the wrong question for this game, because smart early decisions in a 2000 game aren't necessarily the same as smart early decisions in a 3000 or 4000 (or 1000) game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game ended up being 4 players and up to C2,000. It took us 3 hours. I feel that it was a good length and we could knock 45 mins off next time with knowing what we're doing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.