Hide
6 Posts

War Stories: Liberty Road» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about "Blaze" event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee K.
msg tools
I can't believe I have been playing this long and this is the first time the Blaze event has actually occurred when a unit was in the targeted hex. Anyway, what actually happens to the unit?

In the game I just finished, the unit retreated out of the hex to an adjacent hex. But honestly, that left me a bit unsatisfied:

1: Should the unit have taken a suppression check, been reduced, or left as-is?

2: For Armor units, if they were in Fire mode, should that have had an impact on the outcome?

3: When the unit retreated, it retreated out of LOS (due to the blaze), I'm assuming that means that the original attack cannot be completed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
lmkedm wrote:
I can't believe I have been playing this long and this is the first time the Blaze event has actually occurred when a unit was in the targeted hex. Anyway, what actually happens to the unit?

In the game I just finished, the unit retreated out of the hex to an adjacent hex. But honestly, that left me a bit unsatisfied:

1: Should the unit have taken a suppression check, been reduced, or left as-is?

2: For Armor units, if they were in Fire mode, should that have had an impact on the outcome?

3: When the unit retreated, it retreated out of LOS (due to the blaze), I'm assuming that means that the original attack cannot be completed

Here's the relevant portion from the rules:
Quote:
Any infantry in a hex that becomes ablaze are immediately reduced. All units in a blaze hex may not activate again this turn and must immediately retreat to an adjacent hex without enemy units. Any units unable to retreat are eliminated. Blazes are impassable for all units.

It's a free move to leave the hex (regardless of armor's block side); if the original shot is no longer possible, it is cancelled without further effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee K.
msg tools
Malacandra wrote:
[q="lmkedm"]
Here's the relevant portion from the rules:
Quote:
Any infantry in a hex that becomes ablaze are immediately reduced. All units in a blaze hex may not activate again this turn and must immediately retreat to an adjacent hex without enemy units. Any units unable to retreat are eliminated. Blazes are impassable for all units.

It's a free move to leave the hex (regardless of armor's block side); if the original shot is no longer possible, it is cancelled without further effect.

This kinda sucks from the defender's point of view:

If the attacking player puts a puts causes a blaze on a defender's hex (and unit(s) those units are not avilable for the rest of the turn.

If the defending player casts an attacker's hex and units ablaze, they are immediately available at the start of the next turn. And in both cases, any player that has Armor units affected by the blaze gets a free re-org by virture of moving out of the blaze.

I would propose the following modifications:

1: Any Armor unit moving out of a blaze must be re-orged to movement mode by virtue of the retreat.

2: If the defending player casts the attacking unit ablaze on their phase of the turn (not opp fire), any attacker
s units affected by the blaze are not available at the beginning of the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lmkedm wrote:
If the attacking player puts a puts causes a blaze on a defender's hex (and unit(s) those units are not avilable for the rest of the turn.

If the defending player casts an attacker's hex and units ablaze, they are immediately available at the start of the next turn.

That doesn't seem that bad to me; the side with the offensive posture is planning to be on the move anyway, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that being forced out of a position is less disruptive to them.

lmkedm wrote:
any player that has Armor units affected by the blaze gets a free re-org by virture of moving out of the blaze.

Wait, where do you see that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee K.
msg tools
kuhrusty wrote:

lmkedm wrote:
any player that has Armor units affected by the blaze gets a free re-org by virture of moving out of the blaze.

Perhaps it is my misinterpretation of Mark's comments about,

Quote:
It's a free move to leave the hex (regardless of armor's block side)...

I guess my real contention should have been that the tank is forced into the Move Only state due to the retreat and should not be available to fire in the immediately following round.

I'm over thinking this the frequency of this happening is small enough that I doubt it will have a significant impact in the ultimate outcome of any scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
lmkedm wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

lmkedm wrote:

Perhaps it is my misinterpretation of Mark's comments about,

Quote:
It's a free move to leave the hex (regardless of armor's block side)...

I guess my real contention should have been that the tank is forced into the Move Only state due to the retreat and should not be available to fire in the immediately following round.

I'm over thinking this the frequency of this happening is small enough that I doubt it will have a significant impact in the ultimate outcome of any scenario.

Well *I* would rule that the tank is moved out and keeps whatever order side it had. It might be set to Fire but it's moving to get out of the blaze. Just a way to handle the tank unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.