Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
167 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Obama Suggests Mandatory Voting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama floats the idea of making voting mandatory - CNN

Obama floats the idea of making voting mandatory - Fox News

Whatever you say mein fuhrer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgium has mandatory voting. Pretty cool place in spite of that.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speculating on a controversial subject apparently automatically makes one a fascist. I did not know that.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking through the list of countries who have compulsory voting and there were some countries missing from what I assumed would be there. What I found even more interesting is that some developed countries had it at one time but have since abandoned that practice including: Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Chile, and Venezuela. There's a reason why those countries stopped making voting mandatory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
Speculating on a controversial subject apparently automatically makes one a fascist. I did not know that.
Only fascists vote...?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
I was looking through the list of countries who have compulsory voting and there were some countries missing from what I assumed would be there. What I found even more interesting is that some developed countries had it at one time but have since abandoned that practice including: Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Chile, and Venezuela. There's a reason why those countries stopped making voting mandatory.
What would the reason be, given the models of democracy some of them are?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be a good idea as long as voting were made easier in all states.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
What would the reason be, given the models of democracy some of them are?


For one, it violates a variety of freedoms including:
1) Speech - The right to not speak
2) Religious practice - Some religions do not practice political events (example: Jehovah's Witnesses)
3) Political opinion - People shouldn't be forced to vote in a system that they don't believe to be right

Second, I don't think people who are uninformed or don't care should go and randomly vote for whoever because they have to.

16 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I think it would be a good idea as long as voting were made easier in all states.


How could ethnic voters be disenfranchised if voting was mandatory?

No wonder Republicans are against it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What would the reason be, given the models of democracy some of them are?


For one, it violates a variety of freedoms including:
1) Speech - The right to not speak
2) Religious practice - Some religions do not practice political events (example: Jehovah's Witnesses)
3) Political opinion - People shouldn't be forced to vote in a system that they don't believe to be right



Umm, go into ballot curtain room thing. Spoil ballot. The End.
10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What would the reason be, given the models of democracy some of them are?

Second, I don't think people who are uninformed or don't care should go and randomly vote for whoever because they have to.


Although I at least partly agree with your other points, I'm fairly certain most current voters are relatively uninformed anyways, or simply hate one party so much that they vote for the other one out of spite.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought it was our civic duty to vote, even if entailed a write in vote for who you'd like to be in a position. I would be behind a mandatory voting law.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents were resident aliens in Australia in the 60's and had to indicate that they could not vote each time an election came round, or so that told me. Thus Australia at least according to my parents has or had compulsory voting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
disom wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What would the reason be, given the models of democracy some of them are?


For one, it violates a variety of freedoms including:
1) Speech - The right to not speak
2) Religious practice - Some religions do not practice political events (example: Jehovah's Witnesses)
3) Political opinion - People shouldn't be forced to vote in a system that they don't believe to be right



Umm, go into ballot curtain room thing. Spoil ballot. The End.


It still forces the masses to participate so they don't get persecuted. In most countries there are fines but others are more extreme including: disfranchisement, denial to withdrawal money from the bank, and revoking the right to obtain a passport.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
disom wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What would the reason be, given the models of democracy some of them are?


For one, it violates a variety of freedoms including:
1) Speech - The right to not speak
2) Religious practice - Some religions do not practice political events (example: Jehovah's Witnesses)
3) Political opinion - People shouldn't be forced to vote in a system that they don't believe to be right



Umm, go into ballot curtain room thing. Spoil ballot. The End.


It still forces the masses to participate so they don't get persecuted. In most countries there are fines but others are more extreme including: disfranchisement, denial to withdrawal money from the bank, and revoking the right to obtain a passport.
Err...if you do not vote why would disfranchisement be an issue, surely that is giving you what you want?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
Belgium has mandatory voting. Pretty cool place in spite of that.


Australia also.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Only reason Obama cares about this. I repeat, the ONLY reason he cares about it, is because it would mean more votes for Democrats. Nothing else is entering into the equation in his mind. This is how a career politician thinks. It has nothing to do with the greater good.

Democrats... why is it that your base doesn't give a crap about civic duty? Maybe you should start there, rather than forcing them to vote.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Err...if you do not vote why would disfranchisement be an issue, surely that is giving you what you want?


Well it would depend on why a person wasn't voting in the first place but they shouldn't lose their right to vote in future elections because they made the choice not to vote in previous ones.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Err...if you do not vote why would disfranchisement be an issue, surely that is giving you what you want?


Well it would depend on why a person wasn't voting in the first place but they shouldn't lose their right to vote in future elections because they made the choice not to vote in previous ones.
Possible, but some of the examples you gave were of deeply held moral aversions, not just decisions not to vote one time.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
disom wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Err...if you do not vote why would disfranchisement be an issue, surely that is giving you what you want?


Well it would depend on why a person wasn't voting in the first place but they shouldn't lose their right to vote in future elections because they made the choice not to vote in previous ones.
Possible, but some of the examples you gave were of deeply held moral aversions, not just decisions not to vote one time.



I understand what you mean coming from what I said. There are other reasons but I feel those are the biggest ones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
And as always, cui bono?...

What a sad view of democracy you have.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
whac3 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
And as always, cui bono?...

What a sad view of democracy you have.
And yet, it is realistic. What's the joke? Show me an honest politician, and I'll show you a man with no job.

If you don't look for second- and third- order effects of the actions of our politicians, you are being purposefully naive.
8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me laugh - Republicans try to limit voting for their advantage wherever they can, and when Obama pushes back, everyone weeps and wails that Obama is indulging in partisan politics.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
disom wrote:


How many sharks is this administration going to jump?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The people who vote as it is are undereducated on topics as it is to various degrees. Are we really suggesting it's a good thing to have people who have zero interest in voting and almost as little knowledge of current events and compelling them to have a say in how things are run? If someone cares enough to take part, great. If people can't be bothered, then I think we're better off without them trying to grab the wheel.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.