Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

1853» Forums » General

Subject: Recommended rules/variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
I'm playing 1853 this weekend with a couple of friends that own the Mayfair game. I've played this game before (the same, mayfair edition) and found it really plodding. Since then, I think someone recommended trying "the original rules" instead of the mayfair rules.

I see two rules sets in the files area here:
- "original, v2 rules" [tresham original]: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35867/1853-v20-rules
- "v3 (retuned) rules" [dagger, jones variant]: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/43378/1853-v300-retuned-ru...

It looks like the Mayfair edition is based on the v3/retuned rules, with some additional changes. Is that right?

Is it worth trying the v2/original rules with the mayfair edition, instead (or even possible)? What would be the main difference?

Are there other/alternate recommendations to make the mayfair game less boring?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
It looks like the Mayfair edition is based on the v3/retuned rules, with some additional changes. Is that right?

Yes.

Quote:
Is it worth trying the v2/original rules with the mayfair edition, instead (or even possible)? What would be the main difference?

Probably not. The v3 rules here on BGG contain an appendix with the things that are changed in these rules, and the rationale for doing so. They appear not to have changed the spirit of the game, but claim to have prevented some abuses of the rules.

Quote:
Are there other/alternate recommendations to make the mayfair game less boring?

I don't know. Probably the best is to change your expectations; this is a fine game for engineers, and the main skill tested is to build good networks. There is little or no possibility for financial trickery.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
Ok, thanks.

Quote:
Probably the best is to change your expectations; this is a fine game for engineers, and the main skill tested is to build good networks. There is little or no possibility for financial trickery.

I enjoy many 'build good networks' 18xx, especially in the 1825 vein - but this one I found just painfully slow & cumbersome.

(We're playing it because a couple of our new members/players own it, but never tried it - or any other 18xx, until recently.)

Given past experience, my honest expectation is that we'd enjoy almost any other 18xx more than 1853- but I'll take one for the team. I've been hoping the Mayfair rules contributed to my impression that it's coma-inducing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.