Hide
11 Posts

GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: Two players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan M
msg tools
Guys, which coin game is the best suited for only two players?

With two players, every player is controlling two factions? Or two factions are runned as bots?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ivan M wrote:
Guys, which coin game is the best suited for only two players?

With two players, every player is controlling two factions? Or two factions are runned as bots?

You can do it either way in all of the games.

If you use the bots they're all about equally suitable, though Fire in the Lake allows the most choice regarding what factions to play. (And you have to learn the bot rules as well as the standard game rules in order to play, too.)

If each player controls two factions, I'd say Cuba Libre is slightly ahead of Fire in the Lake, with the other two a little behind FL.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinions differ, as you will soon find out.

Each COIN system game has suggestions in the early sections of the rulebook as to who should play which factions when you have fewer than four players and don't want to use bots.
They are good suggestions and the limitations placed on a player when he is playing two factions make it workable.
Many people are of the opinion that Fire in the Lake is suited to two players (US + ARVN vs. VC + NVA), because that fits the conventional ideological wisdom of "anti-Commie vs. Commie", but the Vietnam war was more complex than that, which is why Volko and Mark chose to make it a four-player game.
A Distant Plain and Cuba Libre both have "organized crime" factions (though in ADP it is more complicated than that), who don't have an ideological dimension.

I am working on an Algerian War (1954-62) COIN system game, that is made for two players.
It seems to work.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan M
msg tools
Bots or no bots ???
What's the most interesting with two players:

To play two factions with two players?

Or

To play two factions as bots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the former.

Playing with bots takes extra time, and a bit of thought as you try to follow the script each turn, and the bots often make moves that don't make much sense.
Taking two factions at a time, you get to experience and contrast two sets of needs/abilities and styles of play.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OTOH, playing two factions per player means that those two factions never really have to worry about being attacked or betrayed by the other. The Afghan Government won't get its Patronage removed by the Coalition unless it can afford the loss, the Coalition won't get its Support Governed to shreds by the Government, etc.

This allows very different strategies than are possible when the two factions are controlled by different players/bots who compete with each other as well as with the other factions.

Regards, Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
(to the tune of "roses are red, violets are blue")

Fire in the Lake,
Cuba Libre,
I'm schizophrenic
And so am I.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2v2, I probably like Andean Abyss Govt+AUC versus FARC+Cartels best .... Falling Sky has nice pro-Roman vs anti-Roman couples.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Volko wrote:
2v2, I probably like Andean Abyss Govt+AUC versus FARC+Cartels best .... Volko

Has anyone ever tried a straight team match? Govt+AUC vs FARC+Cartels? You could combine their victory conditions or come up with some sort of hybrid goal for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How is "a straight team match" different from the existing 2-player rules in rule 1.5? Allowed to transfer Resources for free, or something like that...?

Andean Abyss rule 1.5 wrote:
• With 2 players, Government controls AUC; FARC controls Cartels.

Play only stops on a victory check (6.1) if all of a player’s Factions are meeting their conditions.

After a final Propaganda, use the lowest victory margin of each player’s Factions (7.3). Players may not voluntarily transfer (1.5.1) between their own Factions.

Curious,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Oerjan wrote:
How is "a straight team match" different from the existing 2-player rules in rule 1.5? Allowed to transfer Resources for free, or something like that...?

Andean Abyss rule 1.5 wrote:
• With 2 players, Government controls AUC; FARC controls Cartels.

Play only stops on a victory check (6.1) if all of a player’s Factions are meeting their conditions.

After a final Propaganda, use the lowest victory margin of each player’s Factions (7.3). Players may not voluntarily transfer (1.5.1) between their own Factions.

Curious,
Oerjan

I guess that would work just fine. We've never played any of the COIN games with less than 4 and have never explored the idea before this thread. I think it would make for any interesting experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.