Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
PART 1

Finally finished painting and basing last night and took this baby out for a spin today while the kids napped.

Here's the setup: Cards, xp chips, monopoly money, and reference sheets on the bookshelf. Monsters in the back corner of the table. Box of tile on side table. Game area with character cards in front, tokens and darkness track in the back, and space for 2 tiles in the middle. As I move through the mine, I place used tiles in a growing stack to the left. I play a variant where, to flee, you have to move back through the mine, so I need to keep past tiles handy just in case.

Squanto and the Solitary Marshal stand at the entrance of the mine, in search of a large deposit of darkstone. Through a series of unfortunate, complicated and somewhat obtuse events, the two of them have lost all their former gear and memories (I lost their stat sheets). And now we find them here, quite literally and figuratively at square one. What adventures await the hapless pair in this cruel world of western horror?!

This playthrough was the first time I tried rolling for initiative every fight. It added A LOT to SoB's somewhat samey combat. Never going back.

Anyhoo, Squanto and Sol's incredible win-streak lasted them yet another game. It took 11 tiles, but they finally found the large deposit! And their long lost buddies, Strangler and Night Terror. After a heartwarming reunion, Squanto and Sol scooped up the stones, bid adieu to their monstrous compadres and took off for warmer pastures.

thumbsup - Rolling for initiative. WOW, tons of bang for such a simple tweak.
thumbsup - Playing with perma-death. Suddenly everything matters!
thumbsup - Manually flee the mine rule. You get to a wonderful decision point halfway through the game. Do I press on? Do I turn around? There's no going back... (only exciting if you also play perma-death)
thumbsup - Adding an elite ability when the darkness passes your depth
thumbsup - CardWarden app to handle most of the decks
thumbsup - Painted minis
thumbsup - Murphy's Irish Stout (kept me company through this adventure)

thumbsdown - Combat can get very samey without house rules

thumbsupthumbsdown - Sometimes you drive the game, sometimes the game drives you. I like this, you may not.

PART 2

Desperate to regain their memories, Squanto and The Solitary Marshal set out in search of Doc Healsgood, a man with powerful healing regents looted from the Swamps of Jargono.

As always, things weren't as straightforward as visiting the good Doctor's office. The Doc's assistant informed the two amnesiacs that Healsgood had just left on another gathering expedition through a portal in a nearby mine.

"Again with the mines..." muttered Squanto.

The trip was largely uneventful until...

Caught out of formation, Squanto desperately hacked away with hatchet and knife. Surely this is the end...

Swoosh! Hack!

Whammy! Blammy!

...Cool.

Here's where my manual retreat variant presents a serious choice. Both heroes are at half life, the darkness is about halfway down the track, but there is only one clue left to find to complete the mission. So what to do...

Press On?

thumbsup - We're so close to the end and we've burned a lot of explore tokens. There are 4 left in the bag and 2 of them are clues. Odds are the very next tile will end the game.

thumbsup - The main danger of continuing is death by monster, but retreating will probably give us a monster attack or damaging darkness card anyway.

thumbsup - Even if the fight starts going poorly, we could probably still get away... right?

Turn Back?

thumbsup - We've gained some nice equipment and enough XP to level up, why risk it all over what I KNOW will be a hard fight?

thumbsup - Sure we're pretty deep in the mine, but 4 of those tiles are small rooms and passages. Retreating won't take that long.

thumbsdown - Penalties for failure (but they're not too terrible)

PRESS ON! arrrh

shake

In the final moments of the battle, both heroes attempted to retreat, but failed their escape rolls.

After Sol went down, Squanto tried to drag him back through the portal to revive him on the other side (you can revive an ally if there are no monsters on the tile you both occupy) but the Terrors got the jump on the scout and gleefully dismembered him (Yay, rolling for initiative!)

The heroes and the hapless Doctor Healsgood were subsequently eaten.

The End.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A blast to read. The figures and board look great using the clear stands.

1. Is the initiative roll the additional D6 for bad guys and good guys?

2. Were all the figures painted with brush only or was there air brushing involved (they look great).

3. Do you spawn more creatures along the path if they try to escape the mine and not press on?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
A blast to read. The figures and board look great using the clear stands.

1. Is the initiative roll the additional D6 for bad guys and good guys?

2. Were all the figures painted with brush only or was there air brushing involved (they look great).

3. Do you spawn more creatures along the path if they try to escape the mine and not press on?

Thanks!

Thanks for taking an interest!

1. At the start of every combat round, I roll a separate D6 for all heroes and monster types and leave the die sitting by the initiative printed on the cards (for easy reference). Because the hero's initiative roll also doubles as their movement roll for the round, I immediately apply any Grit earned for rolls of 1. Also, just like with regular movement rolls, a grit can be spent to re-roll the initiative/movement roll once.

2. Thank you, I'm very happy with how most of them turned out! I only used brushes. Mostly cheap ones that came in a 8 brush pack from Hobby Lobby. I do have 2 detail brushes that came with the paints, though I wound up only used them on the heroes.

3. If I decide to retreat from the mine and there are no monsters on the board, I double all movement rolls (my reasoning being it's now familiar terrain, thus easier to move over). As the party moves back through tiles, I move the player depth tracker back towards the mine entrance. I don't flip exploration tokens, but if I fail a "Hold back the darkness" check and I draw a Darkness card that spawns monsters, then the monsters are placed on the tile with the hero who is deepest in the mine. The double movement is canceled until the monsters are dealt with, though the monsters don't HAVE to be killed. Today I played a game where we just kept running, with monsters nipping at our heels, till we made it out the entrance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice and thanks for sharing your house rules and how they have played out.

You note under turning back that you have earned enough XP to level up have you house ruled that levelling up can only occur outside the mine?

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
Very nice and thanks for sharing your house rules and how they have played out.

You note under turning back that you have earned enough XP to level up have you house ruled that levelling up can only occur outside the mine?

cheers

Yup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.