United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been purchasing from MM for about 3 years now and have always been happy with their service. However, in the past 3 shipments I've received from them, I've noticed they switched to airbags (for lack of a better term) instead of their usual packing materials. Since then, every shipment packed with these airbags arrive with damaged game boxes (severely dented corners, crushed lids, split sides, etc.) The airbags aren't what's causing the problem however, but how these airbags are packed sitting on top of the product, not on bottom or the sides, so any impact is transmitted rather effectively when a parcel is dropped.

MM has always been fantastic with either partial refunds or offering to replace the damaged items, but it's become a real hassle. After the first shipment I contacted them and they said they would look into it but I'm strongly considering dropping them from my list of preferred etailers.

Am I the only one experiencing these damaged game boxes since the transition to airbags for packing materials?

UPDATE: (7/27/2015)

So it's been six months since my last order with MM and I bit the bullet to get my hands on stock only available through MM and at a considerable bargain I might add.

Box looked like it had been through hell, but when I picked it up, I couldn't hear a thing moving inside which really surprised me. Upon opening, I was pleased to see airbags completely enclosing my order, with none of the product touching the sides of the box.

The packing job was excellent and worlds better than my last 3 or 4 orders with them late last year.

Kudos to MM. I'm open to tempting fate and trying them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Re: Miniature Market: Game boxes always arrive damaged since they've switched to airbags. Anyone else experience this?
xBino wrote:
Am I the only one experiencing these damaged game boxes since the transition to airbags for packing materials?
You are not alone.
In the past year I've had some MM orders arrive in less than great shape, and I agree it's a change from how things used to be. I also was accustomed to receiving boxes large enough to accommodate the contents, and lately I have received shipping boxes that have been deliberately cut down and taped back up to be smaller (in one case, too small) presumably to cut down on packing material.

I still love MM's prices and selection, but their service has been rocky for me lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Miniature Market: Game boxes always arrive damaged since they've switched to airbags. Anyone else experience this?
xBino wrote:
So I've been purchasing from MM for about 3 years now and have always been happy with their service. However, in the past 3 shipments I've received from them, I've noticed they switched to airbags (for lack of a better term) instead of their usual packing materials. Since then, every shipment packed with these airbags arrive with damaged game boxes (severely dented corners, crushed lids, split sides, etc.) The airbags aren't what's causing the problem however, but how these airbags are packed sitting on top of the product, not on bottom or the sides, so any impact is transmitted rather effectively when a parcel is dropped.

MM has always been fantastic with either partial refunds or offering to replace the damaged items, but it's become a real hassle. After the first shipment I contacted them and they said they would look into it but I'm strongly considering dropping them from my list of preferred etailers.

Sounds like a page out of the Amazon playbook. I'm not a fan of such practices and choose to not do business with companies that take such shipping risks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prisoner of Conscience
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not been fortunate enough to get airbags from MM, but the ones Amazon uses have always been fun fine.

And far preferable to packing peanuts which are just a nuisance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I recently had a chat with the owner of my local Pak Mail, and he said he sees more damage claims with shipments using air bags than any other packing material. The don't compress very much, which is a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am repeatedly frustrated with sellers, Amazon, ebay, whatever, who cannot seem to comprehend what packing materials are for. They are for cushioning the product. It does no good whatsoever to put the product in the box, and then fill the above space with packing material. How does that help if the box is dropped or shoved against another box or the wall of the truck or whatever?

I had an LCD monitor shipped to me, with a little packing paper on the bottom, not even crinkled up or anything, and then the monitor laid glass down, then lots and lots of cushioning on top. Huh? Arrived ok, but still...

Of course, that doesn't beat the iPod Touch that arrived in a first class envelope, wrapped in a paper towel. As Dave Barry says, I am not making this up.

Sellers, retailers, shippers: please put cushioning on all 6 sides of a product. If any side needs the least cushioning, it is the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had an order of 3 large boxed games: Legendary Encounters, Steam Park and Gears of War. All three arrived damaged - boxes concaved, split/torn corners and tops. Obviously the air bags are not stopping them from shifting around against each other and pushing into one another, causing damaged.

I order a lot from other sites like Coolstuff, FRP, etc., all of which use packing peanuts, and haven't seen this much damage before.

MM did send replacements for me, so their customer service was awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Hoya wrote:
...They are for cushioning the product. It does no good whatsoever to put the product in the box, and then fill the above space with packing material. How does that help if the box is dropped or shoved against another box or the wall of the truck or whatever?
dajebriza wrote:
...Obviously the air bags are not stopping them from shifting around against each other and pushing into one another, causing damaged.
I think you're both onto the problem: If sellers want to use airbags, then they need to learn how to use airbags.

Any chimp can dump packing peanuts into a box and have the result be a fairly secure shipping experience. BUT... if your business wants to use airbags, then you can't treat airbags as if they were packing peanuts by just dumping/shoving/cramming them into a box and assuming that science will take care of the rest. You need to figure out how heavy the games are, what type of space needs filled, and how the load will shift within the box during freight.

So I am happy for companies who have learned they can save some $$$ on packing materials by using airbags, all I ask is that they learn to use them the right way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last couple of purchases from Miniature Market have not gone well. Wrong product being shipped, poorly packed (small boxes placed between two heavy ones) and little to no packing material.

They have been great at replacing the damaged and incorrect goods without issue (which is great!), but it seems to me they have a training issue. Packing games is much like packing groceries, there's a right way and a wrong way. (Don't put cans on top of the bread!)

I for one HATE the packing peanuts. The "air bags" work well when they are used properly. The first thing that damages product is movement. Make sure the games can't move and stack boxes of a like size together...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if what's exacerbating the issue is that my orders are rather large with this vendor to hit the "$99 free ship" threshold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the styrofoam packing peanuts. I dump them into a plastic bag and keep them for future shipping projects.

The airbags - I save them, but they take up so much space I end up throwing some of them away. After I squeeze them and make them "POP", of course.

:0

But back to task - I have had no problems with orders from MM lately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think games can be packed well with a variety of materials... but paper/air-bags/etc require some thought/care. Peanuts are the "you got to be an idiot to mess this up" method, as they naturally work themselves into every crevice.

If I have to choose between a shipper that uses peanuts and one that uses airbags/paper... I'm going to pick peanuts. Hopefully MM will consider switching back (or who knows, include an option for people who like peanuts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About a month ago I ordered a game that was damaged due to being overpacked with those airbags. Called, got a partial refund. Last week I took a chance (I have been a MM customer for a few years) got the box, and it was obviously over packed, bulging outward, too much packing material. Luckily no damage to the stuff I had ordered but it sure could have been, I got lucky. That may have been the last order I'll place with Miniature Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also recently had a damaged order where there had been none before with MM. They quickly replaced the item but it shouldn't have to have been.

Amazon is no better, between lousy packing and those stupid corrugated envelopes for the Blu-Rays....they leave a lot to be desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like there's been a few issues recently. I just received my package today, with no air bubbles or peanuts, which lead to one of the games being completely smashed - seams busted and game box crushed.

I emailed MM and sent them the pics. Are they pretty good with replacing the game or will the offer a partial refund?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are above reproach concerning partial refunds or returns.

But the hassle of returning to UPS, waiting another few weeks for the return/replacement, and potentially dealing with another damaged box for the replacement has worn my patience thin.

As much as I dislike peanuts, the contents of CSI parcels have never arrived damaged, although I couldn't always say the same for the box my games shipped in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Sounds like there's been a few issues recently. I just received my package today, with no air bubbles or peanuts, which lead to one of the games being completely smashed - seams busted and game box crushed.

I emailed MM and sent them the pics. Are they pretty good with replacing the game or will the offer a partial refund?

Update: MM replied the following day and gave me a return slip and said they'd ship out a replacement as soon as they could. Kind of a pain to have to drop the package off at a UPS but at least they're replacing it. Let's see what they mean by "as soon as possible" though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's not bad. I think I had to wait 4 business days before they shipped it, and then it took another 6 business days for delivery, so a little over two weeks for replacement.

But the replacement game box also arrived slightly damaged, but no where near as bad as the original damaged box. Again, airbags placed on top of product, not below or on the sides to mitigate rough handling. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was no protection at all for my package, it was almost as if this game box was used to protect the rest of the contents because everything else was fine while this game was brutally smashed. I would have to fault MM for this one. Well, hopefully the replacement will be fine. I've never had problems with MM for the past couple years until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a survey about the customer service quality I received during my replacement. I did mention the shipping and this thread. Maybe this will give them more feedback,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miniature Market
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Miniature Market - Online Gaming Superstore - Miniaturemarket.com
badge
Miniature Market - Online Gaming Superstore - Miniaturemarket.com
mbmbmb
While we have been using air pillows for several years here at Miniature Market, we have recently switched to using them more exclusively. We have made this switch for a number of reasons. Regretfully, the switch was not as smooth as we would have hoped for and we want to assure all of you that we are aware of this and are taking steps to correct the issue.

With any new changes there is the necessity for training as well and we have been working to update our packing procedures to ensure they work with the air pillows and that our entire team of packers are aware of just how important it is to correctly use them when packing a box. We have had several meetings and training sessions over the last several weeks that will help to ensure our customers receive their purchases in the best condition possible.

We know that there have been some growing pains recently and we sincerely hope that if anyone receives a package in less then desired condition that they reach out to us at support@miniaturemarket.com so that we can correct that issue as quickly as possible. We truly believe that the training we have put into place will reflect in future packages you receive from us here at Miniature Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to hear such a quick reply from MM. Although my package was damaged, it doesn't sway me from buying from them again. I know they'd rather have everything ship smoothly as they don't want to incur extra costs of replacements. I applaud them for trying to fix any problems with everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hisst Ka wrote:
I just got a survey about the customer service quality I received during my replacement. I did mention the shipping and this thread. Maybe this will give them more feedback,

This past month I had two separate orders both arrive in the same week. Both orders were over $100 and had 4 - 5 boxes in them, both had only air bags, both had smushed game boxes.

My feedback on their survey was that I just was done ordering through them. With CSI, BGW, and Cardhaus all packaging their products with care, I see no reason to waste my time with MM anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
YES. 100% of my games come battered when they use airbags. I always ask in the notes box that they don't be used but sometimes they do anyway.

Still MM has always responded me when I complain about this, they have an excellent customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Deutschlander
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only started ordering from Miniature Market this past January and all 4 shipments came with damaged boxes. The shipment box was undamaged so I assumed that Miniature Market was a scratch and dent wholesaler. I had no idea that they were actually selling undamaged boxes. I was just buying games from them when they were quite a bit cheaper than the competition and if I cared about the box not being damaged I purchased from Cool Stuff and Amazon. I guess I should email them a complaint about the damaged goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.