Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Continuing with the discussion that begun in another thread, here it goes the most recent version (v1.4) of this fan made Hockenheim track.

In this version, I finally included the offtrack trajectories, made the wings' setup chits and did some other minor tweaks.

So, what do you guys think of it? If it's okay, we're probably close to start play testing this on a basic game, and soon, maybe we can think of working on cards for the advanced game. Who's in?

IMPORTANT: I have no rights over Race! Formula 90. I have no intention of any profits with this - it is just a fan made version, non-official by any means, of one of my favorite tracks of old. If the publisher or designer of the game asks for it, I will immediately delete it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of wing settings. Less angle should probably give +1 to orange too to help balance it out vs more angle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
I think the advantages/disadvantages are already balanced - based on the quantity of each red & green trajectories, and the amount of bonuses one might achieve in a complete lap with either one or other setup and, of course, with a neutral setup without any advantages nor penalties. Also, red cards are more common than other colors, which I believe it will help the balance too.

I will start play testing it soon, so I can have data to check if it's actually balanced enough on its adaptation to the thematic feeling I'm intending to achieve with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing, Stevan!!! Congratulations.

The old Hockenhein track was famous by your long straights. This track was also known by "more dangerous track of world" (because of these straights).

Your straights have only 2 sections. Maybe you should add more sections before and after Jim Clark Kurve corner (straight with 3 or 4 sections). This straights are excelent point to overtake.

After a contest in NordKurve, the player spends 3 or 4 movement points, finishing his turn in a straight (can be overtaken).

It's just a suggestion.

Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
descolado1 wrote:
Your straights have only 2 sections. Maybe you should add more sections before and after Jim Clark Kurve corner (straight with 3 or 4 sections). This straights are excelent point to overtake.

Thanks, Ismael, I appreciate your kind words and input. Though, please notice that the trace of the track present its straight sections as long as in aerial pics of the track (in its length, not its number of sections, of course). In game, the idea of leaving the straights with less sections, actually don't take nothing from their length - unlike, it makes them feel even faster, giving them the feeling of the high speed achieved in real life - I used this trick in the same way the game designers' did for the tunnel section in Expansion #1's Monaco track. Also, this gives the straight sections the game speed they need in comparison with the stadium section for this particular track.

I just finished the first play testing of this version and it was a pretty exciting race, maybe the closest 2 players race I ever played with RF90's basic rules. I took some print screens and pictures of it and I will soon post a session report of it.

I'm intending to test this track much more, with different setups and player counts, but for what this first play test showed me, I'm very pleased with the results both of the track itself and the wings' setup rules... and I'm anxious to try it with advanced rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I used this trick in the same way the game designers' did for the tunnel section in Expansion #1's Monaco track.

The Monaco tunnel section is a "fake straight" [rsrsrs]. Is not an overtake point. If Alessandro had done this tunnel with 3 or more sections, the players would use this track sections to overtake (Alessandro was well cunning).
The Hockenheim straight section, unlike, IS an great point to overtake, at last part of "dark forest" (between NordeKurve and Ostkurve). In his straights was very difficult to prevent overtake a fast car behind of you.

with only 2 sections is very easy to a player exit a corner spend 4 or 5 movement points and finishing his turn in a corner.

Ok Stevan, thank for your answer, I will download this track and I will make my playtest (with 2, 3 and 4 sections in Dark Forest).

Best regards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
descolado1 wrote:
The Monaco tunnel section is a "fake straight" [rsrsrs]. Is not an overtake point. If Alessandro had done this tunnel with 3 or more sections, the players would use this track sections to overtake (Alessandro was well cunning).
The Hockenheim straight section, unlike, IS an great point to overtake, at last part of "dark forest" (between NordeKurve and Ostkurve). In his straights was very difficult to prevent overtake a fast car behind of you.

Actually, it's possible to overtake in the tunnel, not easy, but possible - maybe not nowadays, but it was in the 90s. Also, in Alessandro's design of Monaco is also possible to overtake in the tunnel, and using its bonus for overtaking after it too.

In Hockenheim's case, the straights were also good overtaking points, but only for cars with stronger engines and/or adjusted to do it - Before starting to design this track, I re-watched a good number of hours of Hockenheim races from the late 80's up to 2000 Barrichello's wild victory... believe me, it's good as it is

edit: including this link to a YouTube channel that has lots of old Hockenheim F1 races footage. A great deal for F1 fan! It's a Brazilian channel, so most of the videos are in portuguese.

descolado1 wrote:
with only 2 sections is very easy to a player exit a corner spend 4 or 5 movement points and finishing his turn in a corner.

Ok Stevan, thank for your answer, I will download this track and I will make my playtest (with 2, 3 and 4 sections in Dark Forest).

Best regards!

The straights as overtaking points are working very well this way. If you put more sections on them, the stadium will not be as slow as it should in comparison with the forest part of the track.

In the same way, the wing's setup will probably not work as well as it is the way the track is designed right now.

Also, the range of sections between the trajectories work very well for robots - specially the fastbots.

Anyway, as I said, I will post the play test session report for this as soon as possible (I'm already uploading the pictures) and we can chat more about it.

edit: The first part of the session report is now pending approval. It will probably be on sooner than latter, and I will finish the second (and final) part and post it in the same thread today when I get back home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
I finished the stats for the track cards. Now I just need to put them on a graphical template and test them. As soon as possible, I will upload them along with a v1.5 of Hockenheim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a version without the green background?
And without the two markers for Wings in the middle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Slotracer wrote:
Is there a version without the green background?
And without the two markers for Wings in the middle?

The last couple weeks I was on a break, so I could work on both of these fan-made tracks (Hockenheim and Interlagos) really fast, but now I'm having to find time to work on them... I believe next week I might have Hockenheim cards ready for download, together with a v1.5 of the track, without the green background cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Hey, guys, since I'm not having enough time to work on this, I'm gonna let you know what are the statistics of Hockenheim cards so you can print them and put inside a sleeve or something and test them, if you want. This will give you something to use while I take my time to make the actual graphical cards.

KEY: They are clustered by Corner Number. Then, the first letter is the card type (by color - Red, Green, Orange, Yellow) followed by the MPs of the card. In brackets, the "right side statistics": [-t] = lose a tyre, [-d] = take damage, [B] = blue flag, [G] = green flag, [O] = orange flag, [Y] = yellow flag, [d#] = draw that # of cards, [W] = weather change, [ck] = perform a check. In parenthesis, the "left side statistics": (+), (LB), (x2), and (-1) - that are exactly the same iconography used on the game., so I'm not explaining these, hehe. And the last number is the check value of the card. Well, I think that's it, so... here they go:

1st CORNER
. R +6 [-t][B] 20
. R +5 [G] (x2) 25
. R +4 [O] (-1) 25
. O +2 [d2][Y] (+) 30
. Y +2 [W] (+) 35

2nd CORNER
. R +6 [-d] (LB) 10
. R +5 [-t][B] (+) 15
. O +3 [d1] (LB)(x2)20
. G +2 [ck+20][Y](-1) 25
. Y +2 [W][G] 30

3rd CORNER
. R +6 [-d] (LB) 10
. R +5 [-t][B] (+) 15
. O +3 [d1] (LB)(x2)20
. G +2 [ck+20][Y](-1) 25
. Y +2 [W][G] 30

4th CORNER
. R +6 [-d] (LB) 10
. R +5 [-t][B] (+) 15
. O +3 [d1] (LB)(x2 20
. G +2 [ck+20][Y](-1) 25
. Y +2 [W][G] 30

5th CORNER
. R +4 [Y] (+)(x2) 30
. O +2 [d2][G] (LB)(-1)20
. G +4 [ck] (LB)(x2)15
. G +3 [ck+20][B](+) 10
. Y +2 [W] (+) 25

6th CORNER
. G +5 [ck-20] (-1) 10
. G +4 [ck][G] (+) 15
. G +3 [ck+20][B](x2) 20
. G +2 [ck+20][O](+) 30
. Y +2 [W][Y] 30

7th CORNER
. R +5 [-t][O] (x2) 15
. R +4 [G] (+) 20
. G +5 [ck][B] (-1) 20
. G +4 [ck+20] (+) 25
. Y +1 [W][O] 35
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Also, the v1.5 of the track (printer friendly version) and the Wings' setup tokens separately.

IMPORTANT: I have no rights over Race! Formula 90. I have no intention of any profits with this - it is just a fan made version, non-official by any means, of one of my favorite tracks of old. If the publisher or designer of the game asks for it, I will immediately delete it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevancorrea wrote:

2nd CORNER
. R +6 [-d] (LB) 10
. R +5 [-t][B] (+) 15
. O +3 [d1] (LB)(x2)20
. G +2 [ck+20][Y](-1) 25
. Y +2 [W][G] 30

3rd CORNER
. R +6 [-d] (LB) 10
. R +5 [-t][B] (+) 15
. O +3 [d1] (LB)(x2)20
. G +2 [ck+20][Y](-1) 25
. Y +2 [W][G] 30

4th CORNER
. R +6 [-d] (LB) 10
. R +5 [-t][B] (+) 15
. O +3 [d1] (LB)(x2 20
. G +2 [ck+20][Y](-1) 25
. Y +2 [W][G] 30

Is it correct that the info is the same for these three corners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Slotracer wrote:

Is it correct that the info is the same for these three corners?

Yes, it is meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An update of the fan made Track cards for Hockenheim can be found here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116314/hockenheim-track-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Manuel
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to check to see what everyone's thoughts were on the best method to print these outstanding tracks. Excellent work on these Stevan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The resolution is too low for a good print but it should fit on four A4 pages.
And the track is too narrow some places.
I've written to Stevan about it and he hopes he can find time to make some better track for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Manuel
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Rene' for your response. The tracks look great if we could print and play even batter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
I'm sorry I'm MIA, guys. Since I moved to NY I'm not even having enough time to breath (I don't know if this expression works in english, but well, there it is, haha...). I'm still trying to organize my life in a way I can find free time to work on these tracks - I hope I will sooner than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We won't hold our breath then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Slotracer wrote:
We won't hold our breath then.

I meant "breathe" whistle LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Gil
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post the original file? So than se can make an effort to improve the resolution of the file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gustavo and his gang is working on a better resoloution of the circuit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
Jogo Rápido
mb
Slotracer wrote:
Any new here?
Not that I'm aware of. I know that Descolado is working on Interlagos, but I never heard any more news about Hockenheim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.