Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have most of the rules down and have followed everything from the first KS (captain level pledge)...but had a question come up during play the other day that I couldn't find a specific answer to: Do Non-Combat Actions count as the one Action you can do per hero cycle? I originally thought no...you are using 1 MP to do the NCA and no where in the rulebook (version 1 or 2) does it say the NCA counts for your one action, but then I thought it has Action in its name...It is a Non-Combat Action...so it is an Action and in the rules it specifically says you only get one Action.

I guess the real question is whether the A in NCA is the 'keyword' Action or is it just the word action...I am still thinking it is not keyword related and can still be performed if an Action card was played.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I never even considered that... Hmm, I'd say not because it's been clarified that you can do more than one non-combat action per round if you have enough movement to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No the one action rule pertains to cards with the forward arrow symbol only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's two for two with the same thinking as me! I always thought it pertained to cards with the Action arrow as well, but I don't recall if it specifically says that...I will continue playing it this way though...no reason to make it harder on us!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another case of poor wording.

Don't read to deep into it, NCAs don't count for your one action.

They should maybe have been called Non Combat Move, or Non Combat Interaction, or something akin to those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
How about tile mechanics (like in the "No Rest For The Weary" Quest) that mandate +1 AP each time the Heroes perform an Action? Do NCAs fall into that category?

{I'd imagine "No" for the same reason(s) cited, but just checking)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
How about tile mechanics (like in the "No Rest For The Weary" Quest) that mandate +1 AP each time the Heroes perform an Action? Do NCAs fall into that category?

I'd say no as well, for the reason above.

They are not "Actions" in the game term sense.

But Non Combat Action just rolls of the tongue easier.

Not that that's always the reason for their terms (read: serendipity).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's Loitering you are trying to avoid, you don't avoid it by playing an action. You have to spend at least one AP during the Hero Cycle to avoid it. Which means someone has to play a card worth at least 1 AP, not just "play an action".

Reference:
Bottom of page 21 of Myth 1.0 rulebook
Page 6 of Myth 2.0 rulebook

Non-combat actions use up Movement points so they do not generate AP. (But, if you played a card worth 1 or more AP that gave movement, it could in that way) so no, non-combat actions do not count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
If it's Loitering you are trying to avoid, you don't avoid it by playing an action. You have to spend at least one AP during the Hero Cycle to avoid it. Which means someone has to play a card worth at least 1 AP, not just "play an action".

Reference:

Non-combat actions use up Movement points so they do not generate AP. (But, if you played a card worth 1 or more AP that gave movement, it could in that way) so no, non-combat actions do not count.

Yeah, I know it doesn't get around loitering... Just discussing whether it counts as the one action per hero cycle... Sounds like we are all in consensus that it doesn't... So it is only an action by name and not an 'Action' by keyword
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:

I had a similar problem with this quest. But my question was if that includes reactions and interupts as well. I think the quesdescription says 'Action Card'. The 2.0 rules referes to the cards as 'Hero cards' so I asumed that 'Action Cards' just means 'actions' (The quest is hard enough as it is).
One of my Heroes has an item where 'actions' produce 1 less AP. So I play that also just strictly for actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
tfelts wrote:
shacky22 wrote:

Reference:

Yeah, I know it doesn't get around loitering... Just discussing whether it counts as the one action per hero cycle... Sounds like we are all in consensus that it doesn't... So it is only an action by name and not an 'Action' by keyword

Well, the first few times I read your original post, I was taking it as "The one action you must take per turn". You never mentioned loitering, and the many times I reread it, I guessed you were going with that. Now, with your response, I now really understand what you were trying to go for. Each Hero can only take one action per round. Got it now. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Felts
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:

Well, the first few times I read your original post, I was taking it as "The one action you must take per turn". You never mentioned loitering, and the many times I reread it, I guessed you were going with that. Now, with your response, I now really understand what you were trying to go for. Each Hero can only take one action per round. Got it now. Sorry about that.

No problem!

Game on!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.