Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 7.3 states "If the Hostile's Move carries its Army into an Unorganized Land, or into a Plain Chiefdom that you control, it's entry there is unopposed and automatic."

But how can it advance into a Plain Ciefdom you control? Isn't by definition a controlled Chiefdom one that would have a Peace Pipe on it in this situation? Wouldn't the Peace Pipe protect it then from advancing (of course, then removing the Peace Pipe and then it would not be under your control).

Thanks,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Rule 7.3 states "If the Hostile's Move carries its Army into an Unorganized Land, or into a Plain Chiefdom that you control, it's entry there is unopposed and automatic."

But how can it advance into a Plain Ciefdom you control? Isn't by definition a controlled Chiefdom one that would have a Peace Pipe on it in this situation? Wouldn't the Peace Pipe protect it then from advancing (of course, then removing the Peace Pipe and then it would not be under your control).

Thanks,
Tim

You are not the first person to be confused by the "changing" role of the Peace Pipe marker. It is true the PP delineates the areas under player control during the Hopewell Era -- but later, the location of the Hostile army is the basis of control (you control everything "up" to the Hostiles, PP or not). Peace Pipes serve a diplomatic purpose during the Mississippi and Spanish Eras, and indeed must be placed in a controlled area after being "bought", but are unnecessary for "control" purposes (some players NEVER like to purchase them).

In hindsight, in might have been clearer to have a separate counter to showcase player control during the Hopewell Era, but that would have "overstrained" the countermix, and added an additional step during the dawning of the Mississippi Era. Also, the attack bonus (roll two dice) of a Peace Pipe is identical in every Era, and I thought it helpful to use the same marker. The Peace Pipe also symbolizes "making nice" in every Era, and I was hoping to gain traction thematically.

Given that several players have thought this construct impeded their understanding of the game, my decision may have been an error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Wes! When I was sitting on the airplane later reading the rules I found exactly what you said. I don't know if you made an error or not, it was stated in the rules, maybe it just should have been under bold so it would have been more obvious to us that read things too quickly.

Cheers,
Tim

Edit: Wes, I finally played the correct rules as stated above and the game was much more enjoyable for me and not as frustrating. Before this I was losing almost immediately into the Mississippian Era. Now this past game I made it into the Spanish Era although still lost when the Shawnee entered into my breached Palisades. But, I still felt I had a fighting chance and am looking forward to the next game now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.