Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I was really excited about this game. Everyone said it was gonna be great. After it came out everyone was saying, "we were right, it is great!"

So I tried it this weekend and it's not so great. The major offenders here are the license board and gambit commands (which also happen to be the biggest new additions to the series).

The license board is a large grid divided into two areas. One area is what your character can use and the other is what abilities your character has. Each square on the board represents some improvement to your character that you pay for. The problem is you can only see (and buy) those adjacent to ones you've already bought (not even diagonal!). The reason for this is simple, they want you to buy the guide. Ok, but what to do if you don't want to cheat? Good luck. There really is no way to 'be good' at the license board. You either know where everything is and make a level-up plan or you don't and just sorta randomly pick squares to buy and end up with most of your characters having the same abilities.

The gambit system is a series of 'if statements' that you can use to program your characters (if any ally is at 40% or less health, cast heal on them). The problem here is that they either took it too far or not far enough. It's good enough for the cannon fodder baddies but not for the tougher guys. That's bad because 90% of the enemies are cannon fodder. So yes, most of the game is just walking around and watching your characters do all the fighting without your help. Seems an odd design choice because modern RPGs are already being critized as being nothing more than interactive movies.

The reason I said that they also didn't take it far enough is because all it boils down to is a series of 'if statements'. There is no real programming involved. The gambit program starts at the top and checks each 'if statement' you've made until it finds a "true" statement. It then executes your action and starts over from the top again. So good enough for cannon fodder, falls apart during harder fights. Has anyone here played Carnage Heart? Now that game had some programming in it. This? This is nothing. Again, there is no skill to the gambits. You cannot 'be good' at gambits.

I won't get into the story except to say others compare it to Star Wars mating with Lord of the Rings. Personaly I think it's more like Star Wars mating with A Game of Thrones...except not good. There's people involved...they want things to happen...I don't know. It sure is pretty to look at though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I've been enjoying it - but I am having issues with the Gambits during boss battles - it just doesn't work right.

Also, there are LONG stretches of game without access to stores and being able to buy new goodies to help you out.

I'm stuck on the first "Judge" battle - frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Every time they come out with these, shouldn't they re-name the prior effort "Penultimate Fantasy"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Aldie wrote:
I've been enjoying it - but I am having issues with the Gambits during boss battles - it just doesn't work right.

Also, there are LONG stretches of game without access to stores and being able to buy new goodies to help you out.

I'm stuck on the first "Judge" battle - frustrating.

Yeah, the Gambits are useless for boss fights and since you've been using gambits almost non-stop instead of actually playing, you don't know what to do either. I've been there. Just like your characters level up by fighting weaklings, so do, as a player, have to do the same. Don't use them unless you can play as good, if not better, with them off than with them switched on.

The long stretches between saves really peeves me on this one. It's a design proplem. The saves are too powerfull (fully heal entire party for free) so they space them out, but it's too much. I need those for saving my game more than I need them for healing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
At least this game is going towards a good cause. Trading it in to help pay for Guitar Hero 2! WOOOOOOOO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
These complaints are extremely bizarre. Even if you don't know the precise layout of the board you can get a VERY good sense of each of the six major areas' contents, and plan accordingly. Also, properly programmed (this can't be that hard) the gambits work just fine during boss battles. My complaint about this game is that it's too damned easy compared to previous chapters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst one? Did you suffer through X-II? Now that was a bad final fantasy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, XII was horrible. Damn. Another one where it's clear they design it around selling the guide. I mean, the different clothes/jobs are only the whole point of the game. So why make so many of them nearly impossible to find without help?

The theme was also strange as hell. I suspect that the only people still playing Final Fantasy in Japan are 15 year old girls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you want? Do you want it to all be obvious? Hey, go play World of Warcraft if you want incredibly easy leveling and item acquisition! Why shouldn't it be hard to find the very best items/outfits/summons? Geez, there certainly isn't any challenge to most of the fights!

I'm actually going to edit a post for a change and elaborate a little. There is nothing the least bit difficult in FF XII, because first of all, every monster gives you at least one license point irrespective of the experience, so if you're confounded by the license board, just quietly kill 5 jillion wolves and complete one character's board so you know EXACTLY where every upgrade lives. You can pretty much program your gambits and walk away from your PS/2 for several hours if the prospect of doing this "honestly" seems inordinately tedious.

Oh yes, the real point I forgot to make: This game is exactly like every other FF game I've ever played, in that you can basically keep killing junk slightly below your party's levels in order to make mad gil, which completely greases the entire process, and Aldie, I really don't think there are any long stretches without being able to get to a store, especially if you don't just follow the main storyline religiously from the get-go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
The worst one? Did you suffer through X-II? Now that was a bad final fantasy

I think I made it about 20 minutes into X-II before I got utterly disgusted and quit. Playing XII has made me feel somewhat remiss, however, and I may dig it out after I get my final Clan Centurio rank.

No decision I've made in the Final Fantasy milieu was more regrettable than buying the PS/2 hard disk and starting in on FF XI after I had already played it for a year on the PC and written it off. Well, okay, maybe buying FF XI and playing for 3 months on the 360 qualifies, I'm not sure.

Thank goodness I'm not going to get sucked into Phantasy Star on the 360!! (Please, God.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking it well enough. No problems with the gambit or the grid system. Gambits are working great for me but I think you need to read a bit about them and practice.

I do have some trouble figuring out which weapon types are best since each weapon type had a different kind of mechanic.

The only real problem I've had is that the story hasn't been as compelling for me as some past ones. Oh, and I can't pronounce any of the city names.

I'm currently just before you climb mount Om'Bur (something like that) and Larsa leaves the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.