Subject: User made map: Trains - The Netherlands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Rabbit
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all,

My friends and I love to play trains, and the topic of making our own cards or maps often came up. Recently I have spent some time to see what was out there, and I found already some nice examples.

Using the Gencon map as basic, some images from the Internet and my limited picture edit skills I have made an attempt of my own map for my own country, The Netherlands.
It took quite a couple of hours to map and edit it, but I am overall happy with the result. I need to print it still and take an offline look, but I wanted to share it directly on the Internet to spread it out.

I intend to reveal my work to my friends, and see if adjustments need to be made. But I also turn to you other Train players to give me some feedback, constructive ones please :-)

This is my first post on Board Game Geek, and attempted to also upload a preview picture in this post.
I uploaded the 25 MB PDF on my Google drive for those who like to try it.

Link for print PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B52Klt1cjalMaTJ4OGlDZTJGek0...

Please let me know what you think, and look forward to see feedback on the tile placement if you played it!

Kind regards,
Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get my wife to print this for me at her job. There they have a plotter that can easily print up to A0.

Too bad I don't get this game to the table that often. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you just use the cards as normal? No variations?

What is the line across an ocean hex in the north? A bridge of some kind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Bouffard
Canada
Chambly
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the 32 km (20 miles) long Afsluitdijk (closure dike in english) causeway that connects 2 regions of the Netherlands over a dike (barrage in french, dam in english) that also prevents the country from being flooded with sea water. A lot of the country has reclaimed from the water to create more landmass but if that dyke was to break a good portion of the country would be under water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rabbit
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
René is totally right. I added it for flavour to the map. Although you might try to use it as a "river" tile in your playthrough. I wonder how that works.

I build it with the standard game in mind, no special rules. Also no experience yet with Rising Sun, so I am curious on that front too. Let me know what you and your wife think

Greets,
Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter delafontaine
Belgium
Torhout
flag msg tools
Heb je de mogelijkheid om een PDF te maken van pakweg 3 à 5 MB ?

Mvg

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rabbit
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hoi Peter,

Enige mogelijkheid die ik heb is het plaatje te verkleinen of de kwaliteit drastisch te verminderen, wat de print niet ten goede komt. Is de 25 MB link te veel?

------

Hi all,

From my play through with friends I will be making some changes in the upcoming time. I tried it with 3 players, what was excellent. 4 players would not have worked. 2 might. The points I think of revising

1) Major flaw in my map design was that there are not enough city tiles to place the station markers. I therefore will include parts of Belgium (Antwerp) in the next update and switch some scores around. Maybe include the island of Texel?
2) Amsterdam needs more blocks to cut off to Utrecht and Rotterdam. That will balance the map placement better
3) Will brighten up the orange 3 city marker to make it more stand out

I will ensure once it is ready to post it here. If you tried it, I love to hear your feedback.

Kind regards,
Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.