Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Shadowrift» Forums » Rules

Subject: What rules did you get wrong your first time playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for my copy to get shipped any day now, and I've heard people say the rule book wasn't very good. I've read the v2 rule book in the files section, and watched the review of someone playing the first couple of rounds, just curious what rules people have had trouble with that I sohuld watch out for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esquivel
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
First time I played, I didn't realize that the Infiltrators stayed in your town. I thought they were a one-off bad guy who went away after they caused trouble and didn't necessarily stick around.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The commonest rule people somehow miss is hunting - probably because a large portion of the rules are on the cards and hunting just isn't.
If a monster's target isn't sitting there, it still kills someone (or possibly breaks a wall). That target is the next available Villager (Infiltrators can die this way, in true horror-movie fashion) or Wall from the top of the deck - discard from the top of the deck until you find a Villager or Wall (skip past Corpses, Freezes, or any weird cards from future expansions, which may be in your Town deck). If it's a Wall and the attacking critter is worth 0 or 1 Heroism (based on the number of Heroism symbols it has) it just runs into the wall and fails to break it. If the monster's worth 2 or more Heroism, it kills whatever Villager or breaks whatever Wall it finds.

Another edge case some people get: Kicking an Infiltrator out of town doesn't count as your 1 Villager for the turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shepherd-Jones
United Kingdom
Walton on Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
karishi wrote:
The commonest rule people somehow miss is hunting - probably because a large portion of the rules are on the cards and hunting just isn't.
If a monster's target isn't sitting there, it still kills someone (or possibly breaks a wall). That target is the next available Villager (Infiltrators can die this way, in true horror-movie fashion) or Wall from the top of the deck - discard from the top of the deck until you find a Villager or Wall (skip past Corpses, Freezes, or any weird cards from future expansions, which may be in your Town deck). If it's a Wall and the attacking critter is worth 0 or 1 Heroism (based on the number of Heroism symbols it has) it just runs into the wall and fails to break it. If the monster's worth 2 or more Heroism, it kills whatever Villager or breaks whatever Wall it finds.

Another edge case some people get: Kicking an Infiltrator out of town doesn't count as your 1 Villager for the turn.


I was going to say about how I missed the hunting rule. It certainly makes a huge difference!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I JUST learned infiltrators can die through the hunt. Great news!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't know that all the players played simultaneously.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
One thing I'm vaguely proud of is that while there is confusion about these things, which undoubtedly stems from the rulebook, the information IS there in the rulebook.
The "Hunt" which so many have missed is described right where the Kill action is described. The paragraph even starts with Hunt. And is two lines after "If the target is not present, the monster will Hunt."

I'll be trying to make it even more obvious in the 2nd Ed rulebook.

One problem is that when you're making a rulebook it isn't enough to clarify what your rules are. A lot of the time, you have to guess what players are likely to assume about your game, and then directly state that your game doesn't work that way.

Kudos to the Pathfinder Card Game folks for tackling that issue directly. Their rules (or at least their FAQ - don't remember which, off the top) include a paragraph that roughly says, "If the rules and cards don't say it happens, it doesn't happen. Don't make any assumptions about what should happen in this game based on other games you've played."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictures and detailed examples help too!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Bassfisher44 wrote:
Pictures and detailed examples help too!


Making the rulebook 4 pages smaller for cost savings is definitely the second-biggest mistake of the print run. I thought that since people had set up the board different ways and the game worked with all of them, that meant I didn't need to define a board setup.
And that was not correct.
Sure, people can tweak where they put the Town relative to everything else, but once they know how the game works they'll do that for themselves. Meanwhile, getting people into the game quickly in the first place is the most important thing, and a rulebook for a game as complex as mine with no standard setup image fails to do that.
There are things about the rulebook I like, but it's certainly got flaws as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudroy GMR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time we played, we didnt realize we could hit monsters in the start area so many monsters made their way through town and well.. they grow rapidly..

we realized something was wrong when basically we had EVERY monster out at the same time..

Lol... 50 some odd games later, we still love this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karishi wrote:
If it's a Wall and the attacking critter is worth 0 or 1 Heroism (based on the number of Heroism symbols it has) it just runs into the wall and fails to break it. If the monster's worth 2 or more Heroism, it kills whatever Villager or breaks whatever Wall it finds.


So Monsters that are worth 0 or 1 Heroism wouldn't kill a Villager?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
karishi wrote:
If it's a Wall and the attacking critter is worth 0 or 1 Heroism (based on the number of Heroism symbols it has) it just runs into the wall and fails to break it. If the monster's worth 2 or more Heroism, it kills whatever Villager or breaks whatever Wall it finds.


So Monsters that are worth 0 or 1 Heroism wouldn't kill a Villager?


If a monster worth 0 or 1 heroism hits a Wall before it gets to a villager, then the monster (and the hunt) is stopped by the wall. If a monster of 2 or more heroism hits a Wall before it gets to a villager, the wall is broken but the hunt is over.

If either one gets to a villager before hitting a wall, then the villager dies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I missed two things on my first play:

1. My first mistake was to think that Shadowrifts and Powers traveled through town like monsters do...
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/10228787#10228787

2. I also didn't realize that purchased walls went into the village pile. I thought they went into their own special "purchased wall" pile. I guess it didn't feel thematic to mix villagers and walls.

As Jeremy pointed out, all of these are explained in the rulebook. You just have to pay close attention when reading it...


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hancock
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karishi wrote:
One thing I'm vaguely proud of is that while there is confusion about these things, which undoubtedly stems from the rulebook, the information IS there in the rulebook.
The "Hunt" which so many have missed is described right where the Kill action is described. The paragraph even starts with Hunt. And is two lines after "If the target is not present, the monster will Hunt."

I'll be trying to make it even more obvious in the 2nd Ed rulebook.

One problem is that when you're making a rulebook it isn't enough to clarify what your rules are. A lot of the time, you have to guess what players are likely to assume about your game, and then directly state that your game doesn't work that way.

Kudos to the Pathfinder Card Game folks for tackling that issue directly. Their rules (or at least their FAQ - don't remember which, off the top) include a paragraph that roughly says, "If the rules and cards don't say it happens, it doesn't happen. Don't make any assumptions about what should happen in this game based on other games you've played."


I think that the game has taken an unusual amount of flak for the rulebook. I had no problems reading and understanding the rulebook. It was fairly logically laid out. Careful reading is required, but overall, the game is not that complex. The biggest issues for me was separating the cards (bigger icons please!!) and keeping them separated (I think the cards should each have an individual divider as it is a pain to pry 1 set of 6 cards out of a grouping of 6 sets ie: attack actions) and the biggest impediment to easy play is the lack of a picture and labels for the set up.

If anyone has been dissuaded from trying the game because of the rulebook, I think they should try it. Help can easily be found here or in one of the many videos roaming around the internet, although there is a good chance they would not be needed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
I had my heroes taking 1 damage per attack, rather than 1 total damage. I also only had one rift in the stack. That was a counting mistake though.


I agree about the layout. It's nice to have a visual of what everything look s like for the first play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L V
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, lots of little rules tripped me up on my first place, and I found I had to use both the original rules and the v1.5 rules, and even then I had open questions.

1. I didn't realize right away that you can just use a Villager, and not have to pay anything. I thought you also had to pay their purchase cost.

2. I didn't know what to do with Monsters when they moved from round 3 to the Monster Power area. Did they just contribute to power? Did they just replay their stage 3 power over and over?

3. I wished more keywords were defined/used, such as removed from play or discard or remove. I had to make some guesses on the intentions at times, or really comb through the rules books.

4. I didn't know if some Loot cards stayed forever or what, such as Armor of Mist card.

5. I wasn't sure when the lose condition took effect for having no villagers. Not just what step/turn, but also when it matters, such as if I just had empty slots due to kills or something. I kinda wish we just put a Corpse card in place of the villager and not into the discard.

6. I didn't know what "in play" meant, in regards to Villagers. I assume still that "in play" means purchased and face up in the town area.

7. I wasn't sure when to do my extra draw for Heroism. It seems dirty since it's like revealing a card before the Heroes Act phase, and then I didn't know if other triggers might take effect then or not.

There were more moments on my first game (which I just played and came here for the amazing fan faq in another thread!), but those are what come to mind quickest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
LonerVamp wrote:
Really, lots of little rules tripped me up on my first place, and I found I had to use both the original rules and the v1.5 rules, and even then I had open questions.

1. I didn't realize right away that you can just use a Villager, and not have to pay anything. I thought you also had to pay their purchase cost.

2. I didn't know what to do with Monsters when they moved from round 3 to the Monster Power area. Did they just contribute to power? Did they just replay their stage 3 power over and over?

3. I wished more keywords were defined/used, such as removed from play or discard or remove. I had to make some guesses on the intentions at times, or really comb through the rules books.

4. I didn't know if some Loot cards stayed forever or what, such as Armor of Mist card.

5. I wasn't sure when the lose condition took effect for having no villagers. Not just what step/turn, but also when it matters, such as if I just had empty slots due to kills or something. I kinda wish we just put a Corpse card in place of the villager and not into the discard.

6. I didn't know what "in play" meant, in regards to Villagers. I assume still that "in play" means purchased and face up in the town area.

7. I wasn't sure when to do my extra draw for Heroism. It seems dirty since it's like revealing a card before the Heroes Act phase, and then I didn't know if other triggers might take effect then or not.

There were more moments on my first game (which I just played and came here for the amazing fan faq in another thread!), but those are what come to mind quickest.


5: The thing you wish is how it's supposed to work! If someone gets killed on a hunt, a Corpse goes into the Town discard, but if they're killed and were actually "in play" (which, regarding 6, we're calling "Town Square" in 2nd Edition) the Corpse goes in play where they were. This can be important if you're up against the Necromancers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the hunting rule also... blush that's why I ve won 3 times in a row... now lets go back and defend this village... properly!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.