Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Howdy folks,

Just thinking of ordering this for the store and had a read through the rules which seem fine.

It did seem to me very similar to the old Wembley game (apart from the group format of course and the cards instead of star players) Any opinions? With a full retail of £35 (no doubt we would do it cheaper of course) it's not a cheap game, I was wondering if any old Wembley players had any thoughts.

Must admit I'm tempted myself but is it different enough?

Al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Wembley. Other than the general theme, the games are very different.

Yes, in both games you control a bunch of teams and try to advance through the tournament. But in Wembley, you play one game at a time. The way you influence the game is basically deciding in which game/team to invest your money and buy star players (and which half they are going to play). Otherwise, you can only hope to roll as high as possible. In TWCG, you play many matches at once and you can use your cards: in your favor, to hinder an opponent, to help an opponent beat another opponent (ie my enemy's enemy). The dice are just modifiers.

The only thing IMO Wembley does better is to give some value in having a weaker team since they score you trophies just for doing well against higher ranked teams, not necessarily having to advance far into the tournament. While, in TWCG they don't really give you any advantage, they are just weaker. Having said that, in Wembley I only saw teams from the Premier division win (I could imagine a First division team being able to pull it on a rare occasion), and in TWCG, black, red and blue teams can all frequently win and green teams have some chance as well.

Advantages I see going for TWCG include: superior theme (real WC tournaments), better game mechanism offering more options but not enough resources to execute everything you want, adjustable time to play a full game, better support, likelihood of expansions (if you want).

If you like football, World Cup and boardgames, TWCG is a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.