Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Is a colony restricted to 4 ships?

2. In the first round one player lost almost all of his ships because the other players attacked him. Is it possible that a player can come back nevertheless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zander Galluppi
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,

1. No, a colony can have as many ships as you want.

And 2. Yeah, it's totally possible. It's a bit of an unfortunate situation to find yourself in, but clever negotiations and playing the underdog can work wonders in Cosmic Encounter Also Mobius Tubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, it's important to remember that you get a ship back every time you're the offense as main player. So you can always attack, and are never truely eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thing that felt strange was, we couldn't draw new cards. Everybody was stuck with their starting cards, because everybody had at least one encounter card in his hand and couldn't draw a new hand.

So what could you do, if you just have low encounter cards in your hand?

(the game just went 50 min, maybe it's different when it goes longer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:

Bluff them into negotiating, or get allies (Or for that matter, try to cloy your way into a defensive alliance and draw some cards off of that). Or be the Anti-Matter .

Though a large part of the game is managing your hand and finding the best way to get rid of cards you don't want, like in this case occasionally throwing a less important encounter (Or one where you're up against 6 Virus ships ) to ditch a low encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Dapperghast wrote:
kackarschen wrote:

Bluff them into negotiating, or get allies (Or for that matter, try to cloy your way into a defensive alliance and draw some cards off of that). Or be the Anti-Matter .

Though a large part of the game is managing your hand and finding the best way to get rid of cards you don't want, like in this case occasionally throwing a less important encounter (Or one where you're up against 6 Virus ships ) to ditch a low encounter card.

when would you be up against 6 virus ships? you can put in 4 the gate max. playing with double powers virus + amoeba?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
And another thing that felt strange was, we couldn't draw new cards. Everybody was stuck with their starting cards, because everybody had at least one encounter card in his hand and couldn't draw a new hand.

(the game just went 50 min, maybe it's different when it goes longer)

The main challenge of the game is how do you deal with a dwindling hand of encounter cards. Find a way to filter your cards, get a new hand, save the better cards, and watch out for aliens whose power lets them get, keep, or manipulate their hands of cards.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:

If you are stuck with a bunch of low-value Attack cards:

If you have even one Negotiate, play it against another player who you think might be holding better ones. You can try to sway your opponent toward making a deal, if you like, or just try a straight fake-out.

-If he plays an Attack card against you, now you get to steal his cards as Compensation. Make sure you sent a full 4 ships to maximize your pickings.

-If he plays a Negotiate as well, try to make him a "sweet deal" by offering more than you're getting in return. For example, a very common deal among new players is to swap colonies ("Colony for a colony?"). Perhaps offer a simple colony swap and then say, "and...I'll give you 3 cards from my hand". At this point, he might be deluding himself into thinking he'll get a nice Artifact or maybe a Reinforcements...little does he realize, you'll be using him to dump your Attack 01 and two Attack 04's, freeing you up for a fresh, new hand. One man's trash can instead be another man's trash.

If he seems a little suspicious of your offer (if you seem too eager or confident about it), perhaps throw him off balance by adding a hitch, like "but...if I give you cards, you have to invite me as an ally on your next encounter". Of course, you know that's just a "fluff" offer that he can totally betray at his own whim...and he knows this too! "Maybe...just maybe," he thinks to himself, "I'll get his cards and leave him twisting in the wind!" Now he's feeling pretty good about himself...but you know who's really coming out ahead in this deal.
ninja

There are many layers to Cosmic, not the least of which is the "social meta-game" of manipulating and out-witting your opponents. It's not just about the numbers on the cards. Make your opponent think that they have the advantage until they turn their backs just long enough for you to make your move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
when would you be up against 6 virus ships? you can put in 4 the gate max. playing with double powers virus + amoeba?

Virus might be defense and have sent extra ships back to his colony. Attacking him there might be a good way to trick him into thinking you've got a big Attack card and want to wipe out some of his ships (and, little do they know, maybe you'll throw a few allied ships from players who've been annoying you under the bus while you're at it), so he trys to play equally big.

Oops! What's that? You just wasted your 20 against my 06 (or, worse, Negotiate)? I'm sorry! Didn't you have a lower card? I thought we were just phoning this one in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
taylor20k wrote:

Virus might be defense and have sent extra ships back to his colony. Attacking him there might be a good way to trick him into thinking you've got a big Attack card and want to wipe out some of his ships

Pretty much this, though I was mostly using hyperbole to demonstrate a situation where you're probably not going to brute force your way through anyway, so might as well dump a 00 and save the 23 for later .

Webhead123 wrote:

There are many layers to Cosmic, not the least of which is the "social meta-game" of manipulating and out-witting your opponents. It's not just about the numbers on the cards. Make your opponent think that they have the advantage until they turn their backs just long enough for you to make your move.

Like the classic Philanthropist "Why would I want to give away my- Ooooooohhhhhh."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
kackarschen wrote:

If you are stuck with a bunch of low-value Attack cards:

If you have even one Negotiate, play it against another player who you think might be holding better ones. You can try to sway your opponent toward making a deal, if you like, or just try a straight fake-out.

-If he plays an Attack card against you, now you get to steal his cards as Compensation. Make sure you sent a full 4 ships to maximize your pickings.

-If he plays a Negotiate as well, try to make him a "sweet deal" by offering more than you're getting in return. For example, a very common deal among new players is to swap colonies ("Colony for a colony?"). Perhaps offer a simple colony swap and then say, "and...I'll give you 3 cards from my hand". At this point, he might be deluding himself into thinking he'll get a nice Artifact or maybe a Reinforcements...little does he realize, you'll be using him to dump your Attack 01 and two Attack 04's, freeing you up for a fresh, new hand. One man's trash can instead be another man's trash.

If he seems a little suspicious of your offer (if you seem too eager or confident about it), perhaps throw him off balance by adding a hitch, like "but...if I give you cards, you have to invite me as an ally on your next encounter". Of course, you know that's just a "fluff" offer that he can totally betray at his own whim...and he knows this too! "Maybe...just maybe," he thinks to himself, "I'll get his cards and leave him twisting in the wind!" Now he's feeling pretty good about himself...but you know who's really coming out ahead in this deal.
ninja

Thank you, great hints!!
But I think it's hard to get new players to play Cosmic as often till they reach such meta-gaming skills. Because without that, playing just with "numbers on the cards" it's not such a good game.

PS:
Was difficult to read your reply. Many expressions I didn't know before.
... twisting in the wind...
... turn their backs just long enough...
... annoying you under the bus...
... phoning this one in...

I have to do an advance English course!soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that! Sometimes I forget that I can be a little wordy...or that not all BGG users are native English-speakers.
modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Sharp
United Kingdom
Crawley
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Pick a card, any card!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mind if I piggyback onto your thread? I played my first game at the weekend too ( or rather started it, we ran out of time)

When negotiating, can you only give away one colony? So we cannot trade two for two?

One of our powers was the Barbarian. With this alien, if they are offence and negotiate, and successfully negotiate a deal does that count as 'winning',and s they then go on to pillage the person they just negotiated with, or does 'winning' only refer to an actual battle?

Also, if your first encounter is successful, and you have a second do you take another ship back form the warp, or is that only at the very start of your turn ( like with your encounter card check ?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robmonster wrote:

When negotiating, can you only give away one colony? So we cannot trade two for two?

Correct

Robmonster wrote:

One of our powers was the Barbarian. With this alien, if they are offence and negotiate, and successfully negotiate a deal does that count as 'winning',and s they then go on to pillage the person they just negotiated with, or does 'winning' only refer to an actual battle?

No, Barbarian would not get to pillage. Successful deals aren't considered to be wins.

Robmonster wrote:

Also, if your first encounter is successful, and you have a second do you take another ship back form the warp, or is that only at the very start of your turn ( like with your encounter card check ?)

Yes, you do take another ship because you would get a second Regroup phase. The Start Turn phase can only happen a maximum of one time during each person's turn, but if you have a second encounter all of the other phases, including Regroup, happen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Piggyback is a funny word for that.laugh

I was the Barbarian in my first and only game. I would say "negotiation" is not winning a battle.

And you don't get back a ship in the second battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:

And you don't get back a ship in the second battle.

You absolutely do get a ship back in your second encounter (Assuming you have some in the warp of course, and barring some crazy future alien power that makes you skip your second regroup phase or something, but given that this is Cosmic that should be a given ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
yukirukun wrote:

1. No, a colony can have as many ships as you want.

I read the rules again. Page 7, "If a colour is drawn":
Quote:
...re-establish a colony there with up to four ships from
other colonies.

Is there anything in the rules that says "no restriction"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The four-ship restriction is for each encounter. You can only launch 4, allies can also each bring 4. Each planet can have any number of ships, but due to the limit of ships in an encounter, you can (normally) land maximum of 4 at a time. (You would not normally want to attack planets where you already have ships, but it might happen with some alien powers or artifacts.)

If any ships return from an encounter (like allies during negotiate), they can returned to any colony (any planet where there is at least one of your ships).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The four-ship restriction is for each encounter. You can only launch 4, allies can also each bring 4. Each planet can have any number of ships, but due to the limit of ships in an encounter, you can (normally) land maximum of 4 at a time. (You would not normally want to attack planets where you already have ships, but it might happen with some alien powers or artifacts.)

If any ships return from an encounter (like allies during negotiate), they can returned to any colony (any planet where there is at least one of your ships).

thumbsup

There is no limit to the number of ships (yours or other players') that can exist on a colony or planet but there is a limit to the number of ships that may be launched into an encounter (4).

When you retrieve a ship from the Warp or when a ship is "sent home" from an encounter, it may return to any of your colonies. So, if you had 4 ships in an encounter and they were sent home, you could place all 4 ships on a home colony already containing 4 ships, now giving you an 8-ship colony. In another example, if you only had 1 colony on the board, 16 ships in the Warp and a Mobius Tubes was played, all 16 of those ship must land on that colony, as they have nowhere else to go.

As always, there are cards and powers that will change these rules, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.