Popular Tags: [View All]
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Googled this and there's a similar post in the AE forum, but I thought it'd be more unbiased to generate opinions here.

I would like to try a stock/economic game and think both of these sound cool. I've watched videos and reviews of both, and I'm leaning more toward Airlines Europe because

- in Acquire, you can apparently be "eliminated" by running out/too low on money? Yet it doesn't seem like player elimination occurs in AE
- AE's listed playtime is 75 minutes and Acquire seems to be 90 minutes, and I prefer shorter games when possible
- AE's components seem better, aside from the red and orange planes looking so similar

But before I take the plunge, does anyone who has played both have any opinions on this that they can share please? Also, for those who have played both, some more questions:

1) Which works better as a gateway game or is easier to pick up overall?
2) Which has easier or shorter setup/cleanup time?
3) What is the ratio of skill/luck in the two games?
4) Any glaring gameplay/strategic faults people have with either game?

And any other opinions are appreciated too. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you, I would go with the one that is easier to find. But I have heard recent printings of Acquire have subpar components. The components of Airlines Europe are quite nice. Acquire, due to the bland artwork might seem more abstract. Airlines Europe has really nice artwork. Both are good gateway games. Acquire, though, is a genuine classic. I doubt AE ever will be. You can't go wrong with either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is made to a U.S. Monopoly, Sorry, crap standard, reason enough I have given up on it unless you want to pay out the nose for that very old 3D edition that is so desirable. If a game was made for Kickstarter, Acquire is the poster child.

Airlines Europe was my pick over Aquire, except for some slightly messy scoring at the end of each round, it is a solid entry level stock market game. We love the thing, it is a classic, it is a reworked Union Pacific.

Just take a black Sharpie and draw a circle around the orange plane's engine cowls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Todd's statements. I've played over a dozen games of Acquire, and while there is skill involved, the tile draw can weigh in heavily in some games. Also, quite often you can bet on the wrong business when a pending merger is about to happen and be screwed money-wise, which leaves you with nothing to do on further turns.

AE doesn't have that problem because you always have the option to take money from the bank. It also gives the feeling that you have more control over the board than in Acquire, although I don't know if that's just me.

I find that AE is slightly longer to play than acquire, if that's a factor.

My recommendation is to go with AE. It's a fun game. You can't go wrong unless you're looking for a deeper / more complex experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe it is then! Thanks all laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.