Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Pandemic: State of Emergency» Forums » General

Subject: Insert Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm designing an insert for Pandemic and On the Brink and State of Emergency expansions. I'm going to use one box for player boards and rules. The other for game pieces.

What I was hoping for help with, please, was whether there were any redundant pieces or pieces that are replaced by an expansion. I noticed there are 24 purple cubes in SoE..and twelve in OtB. Could I just keep 24... Or would all 36 be needed? I'm looking for things like this.

Amy help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Rob.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Rose
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since SoE was designed as an expansion to base Pandemic (for use without OtB or In the Lab), it comes with 24 purple cubes (in place of the 12 from OtB and the 12 from Lab). You never need more than 24 purple cubes, no matter what version of the purple disease you're using.

Otherwise, I can only think of 4 other redundant cards (Lab versions of the Researcher and Epidemiologist come in ItL, replacing earlier versions; there's a new Medic card in SoE for the Superbug challenge; and there's a duplicate card for the "map" so the purple disease has a place for its cure marker). Of course, if you have the vials to mark the cures, you don't really need the simple plastic markers for cures anyway....

Really, the purple cubes are the only significant "redundancy" provided by SoE, and I know I like having all mine the same shade (since my 12 from OtB were slightly different hue from the 12 in ItL), so the first thing I did was replace those cubes with the new ones. Other than that, lots of luck trying to design any kind of insert...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Timothy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
rsearing wrote:
So I'm designing an insert for Pandemic and On the Brink and State of Emergency expansions. I'm going to use one box for player boards and rules. The other for game pieces.

What I was hoping for help with, please, was whether there were any redundant pieces or pieces that are replaced by an expansion. I noticed there are 24 purple cubes in SoE..and twelve in OtB. Could I just keep 24... Or would all 36 be needed? I'm looking for things like this.

Amy help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Rob.


I noticed you didn't include In the lab. Any reason you're only designing for base game + OtB + SoE?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only because it's (the inserts) being made specifically for a customer. I offer a deal where customers, for games not offered on my store front, can essentially have an insert designed and tailor-made specifically for them and shipped all for free in exchange for a copy of the game(s). This person didn't care for ItL...so I don't have it.

I, personally, really enjoy playing the Pandemic IAP. I really like that they have OtB available as an in-purchase
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
ah gotcha.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i'm confused
why cant you use the insert that comes with otb?
if you don't have itl, then everything will fit in there just fine.
you can keep the boards in that same box as well
the lid will protrude a bit, but not enough that it would ever fall off or spill its contents, so that's no big deal
theres really no need for two separate boxes unless you have all three expansions
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All three boxes are the same size. I also sleeve cards. I guaruntee you there is no way to create an insert from foam core and provide for organization (even without sleeved cards) and get it all in one box. Trust me. I'll post my finished insert. Foam core alone is 3/16 inch thick...let alone the boards, three manuals and then have room for all the Petrie dishes, the cards, and all the components. Sure, they may fit in if you want to settle for using baggies, but I'm talking about creating an insert from foam board that will allow for each group of pieces to have their own slot and allow for an organized box.

But that's really not the point of the thread. My question was answered and, as I said, it will quickly become apparent after you see the final product.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sorry, I'm still confused about a number of things
but instead of going through it all, i'll just wait and see what you make

rsearing wrote:
I guaruntee you there is no way to create an insert from foam core and provide for organization (even without sleeved cards) and get it all in one box. Trust me.
sorry, I think youre wrong here
visit this thread and look at the pic posted by Jeremy seaton on fri march 20:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18706698#18706698
I cant tell how thick the walls of his insert are, and he doesn't use card sleeves, but hes got base + all three expansions in one box, and I can spot a number of ways he could've made a little better use of space

regardless, I hope that whatever you create will be - as our common microbadge might say - indomitable!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I may be wrong. However, in looking at that - it doesn't appear to be all components that I have and definitely not sleeved cards - which would add quite a bit of space (probably double the cards).

I'll have to double check with what I have - but it might simply be what I stated in my post above - the inclusion of sleeved cards. My experience thus far is that most people that are willing to spend money on an insert, are also interested in sleeving cards. Regardless, I tend to try to always accommodate sleeved cards in my designs.

Thanks for the pic - I'll definitely post what I come up with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, although I see a gap - I don't see all the boards and manuals in that pic - although I'd have to assume the space there is enough to fit all that or you wouldn't have posted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy seaton
msg tools
rsearing wrote:
Also, although I see a gap - I don't see all the boards and manuals in that pic - although I'd have to assume the space there is enough to fit all that or you wouldn't have posted.


all the game components fit in there the tokens and buildings are under the red pitri in that pic. I used the insert before hinterlands so the height of the insert doesn't account for the two new hinterlands boards so the cover sticks up about 1/8" ish just enough that it doesn't vacuum shut and needs a rubber band however all components boards and rule books fit.

I have another pandemic box in my closet that holds all the duplicate pieces that's not needed for gam. Play. Bio terrorist pad (keep one sheet in play box) extra purple cubes, small cure tokens, purple stupid board Sticker that will never touch my board, I did remove most of the reference cards but left one for each expansion, and a couple other things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - looks like the only thing it won't fit is sleeved cards. I got my questions answered. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, yeah, pretty much what I figured. With the boards, manuals On the Brink pad and foam core (at 3/16") you have less than an inch clearance. See picture below. So, even with cards not sleeved, there's something that's not being put in that picture. The other two pics show EVERY component (except those in the In the Lab expansion).

So - like I said - the picture you linked - doesn't have the board, the On the Brink pad the Hinterland boards nor all 3 manuals in it (Let alone any manual that would be within the In the Lab expansion).

The picture below clearly shows the clearance you have in the box with all of that in there - and it's less than an inch. There's *no* way you're fitting an insert in there to fit everything.

I'd be willing to place a friendly wager. Send me a copy of the insert and I'll try fitting all of my components (minus in the Lab). If I can get them to fit I'll send you any 3 inserts (free) of your choice from my site. (But it's got to fit everything I've pictured - minus the card sleeves).

I'm telling you - you're not including everything - or I'm missing something - as I'm showing you all the boards and manuals AND a standard foam core sheet found in any hobby store or Walmart - (which is 3/16 inch alone). You can't fit all the components of the base and three expansions in something less than an inch tall - with or without the cards sleeved.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy seaton
msg tools
I'll take some pics when I get a chance. Promise it fits.... The lid doesn't go down all the way like I said but I have everything you need to play in there every building token. Etc
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, and I certainly hope I'm not coming across negatively - just stunned and shocked.....and admiring your work if you really got this to work - as I've tried fitting this in several different ways - and, unless it's JUST the fact that I've got sleeves - this is looking impossible. What I'd *really* be interested in, simply, is a pic of the tray to validate the height of it (less than 1 ") and a pic that shows all the contents.

So - first - apologies if I'm coming across the wrong way. We had our baby exactly a week ago and I've been running around crazy - and not necessarily doing the best job smithing my thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy seaton
msg tools
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, and trying to say this as nicely as possible. The original intent of my thread was simply to ask if there was any redundancy, with regards to game components, with the release of any expansions. That was really all I was asking for help with - and I received that answer - thanks.

So, having said that, user joekeck asked why I was considering the use of an additional box. He stated, several times, "i'm confused" and then "sorry, I'm still confused about a number of things" AND even more - "sorry, I think youre wrong here".

Well, after seeing all the pictures and reading all the facts, I'll make this very last attempt to address joekeck's 'confusion'.

1) The insert pictured in this thread does not fit all the components in the box and allow the lid to close. I'm not knocking the design at all. If you're comfortable dealing with the excess the lid sticks up, then it's probably a good design. However, you were "confused" as to why I was choosing to use an additional box - well, it's because I want the lid to shut. Most of my customers, strike that, nearly every customer requires this from me.

Additionally:

2) With the exception of 1 or 2 of my inserts, every single one is designed to hold sleeved cards. It's a design decision I've chosen and one that, I've found, my customers flat out want. The insert in question does not hold sleeved cards.

So - long story short, the reason I'm going with 2 boxes here is that I want it all the components to fit in one box, to hold sleeved cards, and to allow the lid to close securely. I'm willing to base my design upon the user of the insert to use one of the expansion boxes for the manuals and boards. It's actually similar to how I designed my Flash Point insert. I use the main box to hold the pieces - and an additional box to hold the boards.

So, apologies for the tangent - again, the original intent of the thread was to address a question I had. I appreciate the answer and hopefully - I've addressed joekeck's confusion. If not, well, I suppose you'll just have to live with it...lol. I'm quite comfortable with my choice and I'll leave it up to customers to decide if it's something they'd be intersted in.

On a side note, however, I do think that Jeremy's solution is quite nice and impressive!

Going to unsubscribe from the thread as I feel that I've illustrated my point clearly enough. Thanks all!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy seaton
msg tools
If you want or need to sleeve the cards you will need a box just for cards, I have thought about getting sleeves but the amount I would need and amount of space they would take up was absurd. I like the idea because the cards get worn fast but cant justify sleeves. If someone can manage to make it all fit and close yes I to would be surprised. My box liner comes to the top of two pitri dishes stacked on top of each other the cards are seperated into 4 different decks for easy set up. Personally if I am to transport my game say to game night I will probably leave the "in the lab" board at home because its to difficult to explain to new players and most people just simply dont like it. I like it and have played it Solo a lot but no one really wants to play. the removal of this board allows the box to close and be transported as needed WITH all needed pieces for every expansion except that one board that no one wants to play anyway
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robert,

if your very first post had said you have sleeved cards and you wanted the lid(s) to close completely, then I would have been confused about NOTHING and I never would have posted on this thread
(well, that's not 100% accurate. I would be confused why anyone would *need* the box to close completely - from what I can tell, the overwhelming majority of pandemic fans do not *need* the box to close completely - but I still wouldn't have asked)

when you first responded to me, all you would have had to say is "I cant use the otb insert because I have sleeved cards, and I need two boxes because I want the lid(s) to close completely" (and maybe an explanation why they need to close completely)
if you had just only said that, then:
a) you would have actually answered my question(s) (and ended my confusion),
b) the thread would likely have ended there, and
c) we wouldn't all be wasting our time making this thread longer than it needs to be

in my first post I told you I TOLD YOU loud and clear that if you put everything in one box, then the lid would not close all the way
(and mr seaton told you TWICE that the lid wouldn't go all the way down)
yet even after that, you NEVER said (until your last post 3/24/15 9:03pm) that you needed the box to close all the way
so of course I was confused - you were leaving out important details, which caused the rest of your words to be rambling nonsense
(granted, I probably could have figured it out if I had wasted more of my time trying to decipher everything you had written)


rsearing wrote:
user joekeck... stated, several times, "i'm confused" and then "sorry, I'm still confused about a number of things" AND even more - "sorry, I think youre wrong here"....
I'll make this very last attempt to address joekeck's 'confusion'...
hopefully - I've addressed joekeck's confusion...
okay now youre just being a dick
how dare you, after all the confusion YOU created, to try to make yourself out to be the smart guy and me to be the idiot?!
I guarantee(correct spelling btw) that if theres an idiot here, its YOU

several times??!
I said 'i'm confused' ONCE
perhaps you meant 'several' to apply to those three individual statements and not just the first one
in either case, you should say 'few' not 'several' - okay maybe I'm just being a grammar nazi and arguing semantics here
but it definitely seems you were inflating things to make me seem dumber than I am so that you would seem smarter than you are
I only said I was 'confused' because I figured that was nicer than telling you 'youre not making any sense'

and when I said "*sorry*, I *think* youre wrong", I was being nice
I *knew* full well that what you said was WRONG
lets review what you said:
rsearing wrote:
I guaruntee you there is no way to create an insert from foam core and provide for organization (even without sleeved cards) and get it all in one box. Trust me.
you had never said a damn thing about the box closing completely
nor would I ever think you meant for the box to close completely
I've come across loads of folks who complain about the lid protruding, but they'd all rather live with *one* box that doesn't completely close than put up with *two* boxes that do completely close
you are the first person I've encountered that *requires* the box to close all the way
mr seaton's picture proves that everything does *in fact* fit in one box, organized, without sleeved cards
(honestly, I don't know what foam core is so I cant account for that, but his insert walls look pretty thick to me)
the box doesn't close all the way, but everything literally fits inside it, so your statement is wrong


Quote:
I feel that I've illustrated my point clearly enough
it took you long enough
if you'd have illustrated your point clearly in the first (or second - or third) place, this thread would be a fraction of its current length



however, I am still willing to give you the benefit of a doubt
maybe youre not always a stupid jerk, but maybe you cant help it right now because youre a new father (sincere congrats btw) - youre 'running around crazy', trying to handle multiple crises at once, not getting enough sleep, possibly not getting enough nutrition, etc
no human mind can function optimally under such conditions and honestly my heart goes out to you even after you've pissed me off
so I implore you to carefully consider your words before you post
read other people's posts carefully and answer everything clearly and concisely
and don't be a stupid jerk

i still hope the best for your insert and I look forward to seeing pic(s)

and to be clear, I am not asking why you need the box to close completely - I no longer care


and Jeremy, I am sorry I dragged you into this mess - I did not know it would turn out like this
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy seaton
msg tools
Quote:


and Jeremy, I am sorry I dragged you into this mess - I did not know it would turn out like this


Meh I love the game, love that I need one box instead of 4 and don't care much about the drama. He asked for pix I sent em and yes it's 1/4" foam core
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.